Used 2001 Mercury Sable LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

It won't quit
By tsandy1

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

210,000 miles and it won't quit. We bought it used with 38,000 miles on it. I was hoping for a major break down after a few years so I could get a different car. I hate having the same car too long. I like variety. Damned thing just kept going. We finally had to give it to our son. We thought if anybody could kill it, he could. Nope, it's still going. I am amazed at how good of a car this thing has been. We truly have only done routine maintenance on it. Cosmetically hasn't held up as well as my 2001 Cadillac DeVille, but mechanically the Sable has been a champ.

she's gone a long way
By sprosper

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i have a 2001 sable that my fiance bought 7 years ago with 185k on it. i do all the normal maintance on it, ive NEVER done any major work on it. the most intense ive got with it was a water pump. i was brought up as a chevy man, dont get me wrong i love the bowtie but my sable is probably the best car we have ever had. today 8-20-2013 the sable hit 400,000 miles!!!! i am beyond impressed with this car. i would most defenatly buy another one :)

What A Pile
By The Expert

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First I cannot admit that I could bring myself to purchase this car because it is not my car but my parents'. I have used it over the years as a loaner when needed. I have driven many American cars and currently own a 2004 Honda Accord and a 2010 Toyota Camry. This car is such a pile that it is hard to be intellectual about it. I won't go into the endless maintenance problems and monies spent but just say that it is so joyless and clunky to drive. It is a V6 yet drives as though it would rather be sitting in a pasture rusting. It lumbers along and the shifting is clunky. The best shape this car could be in is a cube at the junkyard.

That it is easily crushible.

Mercury engineers should try driving a Honda or Toyota and find out why they are going bankrupt. Where's the finesse, style and refinement?

Love it, love it
By Ed Edmundson

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Absolutely love my Sable. The ride and handling is absolutely the perfect mix. Great performance in mountain driving here in New Mexico, and will just glide across the desert 85 miles per hour all day quietly and smoothly getting 33 mpg highway and an amazing 29 in town. I have a bad back, and these are the best seats ever. When my back hurts, I just go for a drive in the Sable, and I'm fixed. Have had a couple of minor mechanical issues. Had to replace the serpentine belt tensioner and EGR valve, but big deal. Car makes me feel like I am driving a luxury car, and beautiful to boot.

Fabulous seats, good head room, adjustable pedals, easy to get in and out of.

Better stereo and better brakes

So far so good in the Sable
By Hans

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Sable since November and so far it has been great. I'm 23 so I can't say I love the car, but it's done everything I've asked it to so far. I bought it as a fill in until I can buy something I really like, and it's been great. I occasionally drive about 4 hours to see my family and the Sable has performed wonderfully. I get roughly 27 mpg on the highway and between 17-20 around town. Mine is the base model with almost no options, but it performs great for what it is. Very solid, reliable sedan with room to spare.

Folding rear seats, adjustable pedals, trunk space, rear seat room, floor mounted shifter

Shifter squeaks, FWD, slightly underpowered, Audio/climate control panel not easy to replace w/ aftermarket stereo because it's all one piece