2001 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
It won't quit
By tsandy1 on 04/01/14 18:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

210,000 miles and it won't quit. We bought it used with 38,000 miles on it. I was hoping for a major break down after a few years so I could get a different car. I hate having the same car too long. I like variety. Damned thing just kept going. We finally had to give it to our son. We thought if anybody could kill it, he could. Nope, it's still going. I am amazed at how good of a car this thing has been. We truly have only done routine maintenance on it. Cosmetically hasn't held up as well as my 2001 Cadillac DeVille, but mechanically the Sable has been a champ.

she's gone a long way
By sprosper on 08/20/13 07:38 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i have a 2001 sable that my fiance bought 7 years ago with 185k on it. i do all the normal maintance on it, ive NEVER done any major work on it. the most intense ive got with it was a water pump. i was brought up as a chevy man, dont get me wrong i love the bowtie but my sable is probably the best car we have ever had. today 8-20-2013 the sable hit 400,000 miles!!!! i am beyond impressed with this car. i would most defenatly buy another one :)

What A Pile
By The Expert on 10/08/09 18:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First I cannot admit that I could bring myself to purchase this car because it is not my car but my parents'. I have used it over the years as a loaner when needed. I have driven many American cars and currently own a 2004 Honda Accord and a 2010 Toyota Camry. This car is such a pile that it is hard to be intellectual about it. I won't go into the endless maintenance problems and monies spent but just say that it is so joyless and clunky to drive. It is a V6 yet drives as though it would rather be sitting in a pasture rusting. It lumbers along and the shifting is clunky. The best shape this car could be in is a cube at the junkyard.

Love it, love it
By Ed Edmundson on 06/27/09 12:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Absolutely love my Sable. The ride and handling is absolutely the perfect mix. Great performance in mountain driving here in New Mexico, and will just glide across the desert 85 miles per hour all day quietly and smoothly getting 33 mpg highway and an amazing 29 in town. I have a bad back, and these are the best seats ever. When my back hurts, I just go for a drive in the Sable, and I'm fixed. Have had a couple of minor mechanical issues. Had to replace the serpentine belt tensioner and EGR valve, but big deal. Car makes me feel like I am driving a luxury car, and beautiful to boot.

So far so good in the Sable
By Hans on 04/10/08 12:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Sable since November and so far it has been great. I'm 23 so I can't say I love the car, but it's done everything I've asked it to so far. I bought it as a fill in until I can buy something I really like, and it's been great. I occasionally drive about 4 hours to see my family and the Sable has performed wonderfully. I get roughly 27 mpg on the highway and between 17-20 around town. Mine is the base model with almost no options, but it performs great for what it is. Very solid, reliable sedan with room to spare.

My Mercury Sable Experience
By Machoii on 02/28/06 12:39 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has performed beautifully. No major repairs. Required 2 minor repairs during entire ownership, both under warranty. I am not happy with the leather interior, in that one small section on each door had to be replaced, having loosened and came off. Had to have front-end alignment package installed before being aligned. This equipment should be standard.

Dependable, practical and comfortable!!
By Sable LS on 02/20/06 14:13 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am handicapped and elderly and find this car to be responsible and always ready without worry.

a/c concerns
By bw on 08/15/05 13:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i am wondering if anyone else is having this problem. the a/c moduole and door have been replaced and keep quitting on me. i believe it is an electrical problem since the unit works when it plugged in again(after tearing down the car and hours doing so) the dealership said it was the module and door but something shorts the motor module that controls the door that closes for a/c and heating control. the cost can go above $600 to tear it down again. we have 53,000 miles on it. the sable LS with 24 valve engine. any ideas?

Best Sable of three I've had
By Joe Garibaldi on 02/23/05 11:32 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Comfortable, lots of guts, smooth. Others that drive it like it. Never had any major work (until this month). Rough idling when warmed up, diagnosed as burnt valve. Covered under factory warranty. Two weeks so far, waiting for repair. Informed it will be another week. Dealer says burnt valve is a very unusual thing. They never say this before (large dealership). Other than that, I like the car, but am now leary. This would be a very expensive repair if not covered under warranty.

DECENT CAR
By KIRBY on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car for the money.I bought it used a little over 2 years ago with 18000 miles and now have 37000 on it. no mechanicle problems at all very comfortable to drive. city mileage could be better but not bad on the highway.