Used 2001 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Ford Motor (Actually Engine) Company Lemon
By Ron

2001 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car with only 35k on it. Elderly lady let it sit most of the time and that accounts for the low mileage. Thought this would make a good second car to drive to work. Bad mistake. Car has had numerous issues since the day of purchase. Complete new brake job, including caliper, pads, and rotors. Coil spring broke and ruptured a new tire. Engine started leaking oil and blowing anti-freeze out recovery tank. Found a leaking oil seal, and blown head gasket. Transmission has a shudder when shifting either up or down. Mechanic says it is a common problem with that make of transmission. Heater core has to be flushed almost bi-weekly in order to have any heat in the winter time. It seems those intelligent engineers designed a by-pass hose that allows rust and sediment to gather in the heater core and then it get stopped up and coolant will not circulate through the heater core. To correct this issue will cost $500! Paid $3500 for car and have now spent in excess of $2500 in repair bills. Now have over $6000 in a car that books for $2500. Have to go now. I hear the phone ringing. Hope it's the GM dealer calling.

Still a better ride than most
By t12brady

2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2008 with 75000 miles on it. Now it has 92000 miles on it and still drives just as smooth as the day I purchased it. Its has a few problems along the way. Wires in the radio fried and it damaged the heater switch so that the heater was permanently on. In the summer it got really hot sometimes. However it turned out my car didn't have the original radio in it, which means the previous owner put in the wrong installed a radio that messed everything up. Other than that the car gives a great ride, has really good acceleration, great feel, very comfortable and spacious, and it has more bells and whistles than I would have expect from a 2001 car. Overall an excellent ride.

Smooth ride, Size, Comfort, Temp. Control.

Better Service from Mercury and Ford... Never had good service from a Ford dealership and wouldn't recommend anyone buying a new Ford product, to many problems. Some companies never change. Also I would have had CD player and a nicer steering wheel.

A Reliable Ford Product
By macky9621

2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a friend for $1,200 with 129,000 miles on it. It now has 182,000 miles. It runs and drives as good as the day I got it, but have had to put a lot into it as far as suspension parts. Had to replace tie rods (3x), ball joints (2x), and have only owned the car for one year. Other things, I would consider to be maintenance, have had to be fixed/replaced (calipers, spark plugs/wires, upper/lower intake mainfold gaskets, etc). The gas tank was replaced as well (plastic would have been nice - the last one rotted out). It still keeps rolling along though! I guess for the money, I can't complain.

It's easy to operate, it's safe, big, powerful (24V DOHC engine), and I feel like when I need to pass someone, I have no doubts. It feels like a solid-built car.

I'm not one for a really harsh "sporty" ride - I like the cushy floaty-boaty ride of a big car. Mercury is supposed to be more luxury, as Ford is the more sporty. The interior design of the seating area for a tall person is not up to par - the foot rest is too high up so my knee hits the door panel, and I feel like I'm sitting sideways. The steering wheel doesn't telescope, so I'm reaching too far out for it, which is uncomfortable. I think there was some sloppy engineering as far as designing this car's mechanical components - they are so hard to work on, and are in places where you wonder why they would put them there.

It won't quit
By tsandy1

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

210,000 miles and it won't quit. We bought it used with 38,000 miles on it. I was hoping for a major break down after a few years so I could get a different car. I hate having the same car too long. I like variety. Damned thing just kept going. We finally had to give it to our son. We thought if anybody could kill it, he could. Nope, it's still going.
I am amazed at how good of a car this thing has been. We truly have only done routine maintenance on it. Cosmetically hasn't held up as well as my 2001 Cadillac DeVille, but mechanically the Sable has been a champ.

she's gone a long way
By sprosper

2001 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i have a 2001 sable that my fiance bought 7 years ago with 185k on it. i do all the normal maintance on it, ive NEVER done any major work on it. the most intense ive got with it was a water pump. i was brought up as a chevy man, dont get me wrong i love the bowtie but my sable is probably the best car we have ever had. today 8-20-2013 the sable hit 400,000 miles!!!! i am beyond impressed with this car. i would most defenatly buy another one :)