2000 Mercury Sable Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Awesome car
By Karen on 08/03/09 15:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon

I just had an extremely serious wreck at 65mph where I ended up on the opposite of the freeway upside down. My car did not pancake. The rear glass did not break, the doors did not cave in, I sustained no injury. I wish I could find another one just like it!

Solid, dependable, versatile vehicle
By 7 year owner on 01/03/09 10:10 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

Purchased this car used with 9k mi. Car has been relatively inexpensive to maintain, remains solid and has provided unfailing dependability. Currently has 130k mi. Not an exciting car, but is solid and safe feeling. Smooth highway ride. I call it my 4-wheeled sofa. Has the tried and true base 6-cylinder as I was a bit wary of the more powerful 24-valve 6 cyl. Factory brakes were poor, but once after market brakes put on, no problem. Adequate performance, very useful for family trips, 18-20mpg city, 24-25mpg highway on regular gas. Still running on stock transmission with no signs of problems. Dash, upholstery, and paint remain in excellent condition. Plan to keep for 2 more dependable years.

Better than a van
By Jackie Lindsay on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon

I have 2 boys just turning teenagers. This car will hold up to 7 people. It drives great and the gas milage for a car this size is great. The middle and back seat can be layed down. My husband loves it. He always wanted a small truck. I always wanted a luxury car and my kids wanted a van. We've got everything all in one reasonably priced family car. The front of the Mercury is much more grand than the front of the Ford wagon. It also has anti-theft and cordless entry. I don't think the Ford does. We have had no mechanical problems at all. The car is also very easy to see out of from all angles. Backing is a breeze.

Decent
By Jabba on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

Moved to the Sable Wagon from a Plymouth Grand Voyager. The wagon seems smaller on the road but sure is larger putting it in the garage! Excellent ride and visibility. Clean, classy looking front end styling but slab sided, and dated rear end styling. Our local Ford/Mercury dealer is clueless for service so I do it myself or take it to the next dealer 30 miles away. Be sure to get the 24-valve motor - we didn't and regret it.

Disowning Ford
By Dvldog on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

My wife and I purchased this car to haul our two kids, one dog, and luggage for family vacations (just call me Clark Griswald). Although we have had some problems (suspension and tire wear) overall the car is okay. Mostly, I am sick of Ford taking me to the cleaners anytime something goes wrong with the car. Even the Ford dealership can't perform normal maintenance, they generally have to replace large portions of the car rather then faulty part (no wheel bearings on this car [$10] only wheel hubs [$75]). If you ask me it sounds like blatant planned obsolesce. I think this is the last Ford for us.

Don't waste your money
By mykem1 on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

After the first year, the car's mileage worsened and is still horrible today, although the dealer's computer assures me I should be getting excellent mileage (now gets 13MPG city and 23MPG Hwy). Car has had multiple recalls, and has been in for faulty airbag. Now a new problem has popped up and it is much nastier (whole front end is shaking and lights all over dash). Car is 2 years old and only has 16,000 miles. Ford outdid themselves this time, my other Fords all went crazy just after 35,000 miles. This one cut that time in half.

Great little car
By terry.pittman on 03/16/02 19:21 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon

easy all around fun car to drive, very responsive steering goes exactly where you point it and hugs the road. good visability from all points. this car gives you a secure feeling with a quiet smooth ride. get the LS model the engine alone is worth it.