Used 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercury Sable

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Heavy Like a Tank, Cushy like a Sofa!
By mwj12487

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle when in a financial crisis last year, with only a cash budget of about $3000. When purchased, this car had already about 90k on the clock. With the 90k, I was very impressed at how "new" it felt to drive. Steering was precise, acceleration was more than decent, handling was very good considering it's huge girth. Now, having put MANY highway miles on it, only after one year it's around 150k. In that time, I only have had to buy tires, break pads, and of course oil changes with Mobil 1. What can I say, still drives like it did, when it was "new", emm, well you get the point.

Favorite Features

For a glitzed up Taurus, I am happy to report Mercury really dressed the interior up nicely. My model has the center shifter stack, as opposed to the steering wheel mounted gear selector. If you don't need to have a third passenger up front, opt for this as it's a huge aesthetic factor. Leather quality is very top notch. My sister's 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid's leather is paper thin and already wearing through at a mere 30k, this leather is meant to take a beating, and still looks "new" (ish). Many, many things I love, but all the features and accessories are of a high quality and will last for years to come.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked to seen disc brakes in the rear as well as the front, but the braking is decent for normal driving situations. Also, I would like to have seen woodgrain extend to the door trim as well as the center stack. I see newer model years with this, so I suppose they caught on in 2002 or so.

Unexpectedly Amazing!
By mwj12487

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan

To begin, let me explain that I purchased this vehicle in haste, in August of 2011. My Sable had 102k on the clock, and had some exterior signs of a earlier collision, but the interior was clean, and the motor sounded well. I jumped in. After only about a week I realized how peppy the 3.0 V6 is. I was very much accustomed to the thriftiness of 4 cylinder cars, but when I began regularly driving the Sable I was not only impressed but satisfied. The ride is comfortable for all shapes and sizes of drivers. The reliability is better than that of a newer Audi I have previously owned. The gadgets are sparce and simple, but they are reliable as well and easy to use. Now at 139K- no problems.

Favorite Features

Power/Acceleration, Cassette AND 6-CD Changer in the rear, GREAT quality leather seating (still looks new!), Visibility, Doors that shut with a heavy 'thud'.

Suggested Improvements

For a 2000, the options and features are on par with competing models, but I wish the 6 CD changer wasn't in the trunk- also, the rear leather door panel has poor adhesive- problem among all Sables (2000-2004)

Great Car!
By Deeter

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan

I drive over 100 miles a day (round trip to work. It is comfortable and bullet proof. Stock sound system is rock solid. Heating/AC works great. Ride is comfortable and steering is tight (yet smooth). It's not fancy but it gets the job done VERY WELL! Never EVER had any problems and I am well over 100,000 miles. If you find a low mileage one, BUY IT!

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, stereo and heating/ac.

Suggested Improvements

Heat for the leather seating....This may have been an option.... But that leather IS COLD! MPG should be a little better. But worth the trade off.

Oh such fun!
By stbbrn

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan

This car is so much fun to drive. The seats are comfortable, the size is just right, and the engine is so responsive.

Favorite Features

The gas pedal moves to me instead of me reaching for it. Great for my short legs!

Decent but not great!
By chevyman19

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in September of 2006 and I wish I wouldn't have because the fifth day I had to spend $500 to get my intake fixed, and I've spent over $800 dollars trying to get my a/c fixed and still is not fixed right. When I accelerate hard it blows warm, and another 5 months after that I broke down on the side of the road because my transmission had gone out on it. Overall I would never buy another Sable again because it's all Ford parts.

Favorite Features

6 CD changer, and lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Needs heated seats for leather, and get rid of blind spots.