Used 2000 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!
By lovemysable13

2000 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I love my 2000 sable!!!! Its amazing. I have owned it for several years and the only type of maintenance I have had to do is standard! Battery, tune ups, oil changes, etc. In 60,000 I have not had to even do the brakes! I wish they still made the mercury sable! I LOVE MY SABLE!

THAT THEY STILL MADE THIS AMAZING CAR

Heavy Like a Tank, Cushy like a Sofa!
By mwj12487

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle when in a financial crisis last year, with only a cash budget of about $3000. When purchased, this car had already about 90k on the clock. With the 90k, I was very impressed at how "new" it felt to drive. Steering was precise, acceleration was more than decent, handling was very good considering it's huge girth. Now, having put MANY highway miles on it, only after one year it's around 150k. In that time, I only have had to buy tires, break pads, and of course oil changes with Mobil 1. What can I say, still drives like it did, when it was "new", emm, well you get the point.

For a glitzed up Taurus, I am happy to report Mercury really dressed the interior up nicely. My model has the center shifter stack, as opposed to the steering wheel mounted gear selector. If you don't need to have a third passenger up front, opt for this as it's a huge aesthetic factor. Leather quality is very top notch. My sister's 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid's leather is paper thin and already wearing through at a mere 30k, this leather is meant to take a beating, and still looks "new" (ish). Many, many things I love, but all the features and accessories are of a high quality and will last for years to come.

I would have liked to seen disc brakes in the rear as well as the front, but the braking is decent for normal driving situations. Also, I would like to have seen woodgrain extend to the door trim as well as the center stack. I see newer model years with this, so I suppose they caught on in 2002 or so.

170k miles, and still strong!
By feyden

2000 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Okay, so admittedly, this car is kind of old... It's a 2000, give it a break! But honestly, the thought that Mercury will no longer be making cars makes me sick. The previous owners didn't really take care of it... dirty interior, lack of oil changes, leaky fluids, etc... but WOW did it clean up nice. A box of ArmorAll, some new floor mats, a steering wheel cover, some 'self-fixing' coolant fluid, and an oil change later, and WOW! This car runs like a dream, steering is very responsive (yet acts as a luxury steering system, so you lose a bit of turn radius), acceleration is above average, fuel economy is great (ALWAYS put 93 octane in this car, it will get the best mileage with it).

Responsive drive system, strong transmission, strong engine, simple interior, and keyless trunk access :)

Needs a CD player, window motors should have been built stronger.

Unexpectedly Amazing!
By mwj12487

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan

To begin, let me explain that I purchased this vehicle in haste, in August of 2011. My Sable had 102k on the clock, and had some exterior signs of a earlier collision, but the interior was clean, and the motor sounded well. I jumped in. After only about a week I realized how peppy the 3.0 V6 is. I was very much accustomed to the thriftiness of 4 cylinder cars, but when I began regularly driving the Sable I was not only impressed but satisfied. The ride is comfortable for all shapes and sizes of drivers. The reliability is better than that of a newer Audi I have previously owned. The gadgets are sparce and simple, but they are reliable as well and easy to use. Now at 139K- no problems.

Power/Acceleration, Cassette AND 6-CD Changer in the rear, GREAT quality leather seating (still looks new!), Visibility, Doors that shut with a heavy 'thud'.

For a 2000, the options and features are on par with competing models, but I wish the 6 CD changer wasn't in the trunk- also, the rear leather door panel has poor adhesive- problem among all Sables (2000-2004)

After you hit 100,000 miles
By william1971

2000 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

After you hit 100,000 miles a lot of the parts need to be replaced. I notice the parts on the car are cheaper when I replace these parts the replacement parts were made better I had to replace the lower ball joints sway bar links and bushing, hoses, belts, axles bearings, transmission but one thing it has a great motor paid 2000 dollars at 73,000 miles for the car put 3000 dollars after it reach 100,000 miles

• SUV