1999 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Ford: 4 letter word that starts w/ F
By bouletheou on 03/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

At 64K miles the transmission went out. It was a bad bearing on the pumpshaft which took out the torque converter. That cost $850. At 87K miles a friend wanted to buy it. I told him to have a mechanic check it out and drive it for a few days. Turns out the head gasket was blown. I had no idea. It never got hot and since you can't actually see in the radiator, and the little bottle stayed full, nobody caught it. We are now pround Camry owners.

A Car You Can't Live Without
By politicsguy on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

I travel 45k miles per year, and trade every 18 months or so. I bought the Sable because the price was better than the Focus wagon I wanted...then discovered tons of comfort, awesome ride, amazing Mach audio system, space galore, a strong feeling of safety, and good looks. I'm looking forward to trading this for the '03 model!

Love It!
By cdjoyful on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

This is the first Sable I've ever owned, and I purchased it new. After having a horrible experience with an Escort, I was very leary about owning anything of the Ford or Mercury Division. I love this car. The trunk is unbelievably large. The 24V DOHC gives it great zip and go. It corner great and handles wonderfully in bad weather. My only negative experience was having to replace both back brakes including calipers and rotors this past summer with about 40,000 miles on them.

Solid and Dependable
By tomahan on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Car has worked flawlessly,nothing but regular maintenance to date. Replaced original set of tires at 58k miles. Automatic transmission shifting good be smoother from low to high gear when power accelerating. Car is ugly, but very comfortable to drive.

99 sable great car
By western mass on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

We replaced our 1996 Sable with a 99 w touring package Nothing has needed to be fixed. I'm picky and this car has been flawless. 200hp eng fun to drive, great in the snow.

99 Sable Transmission
By deputydawg on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I've had the vehicle in the shop 3 times in the past 2 years for transmission problems. Not sure if this is typical of a Sable or Carmax issues. Also, the gas gauge has never worked correctly.

Great
By Mercury Girl on 09/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I usually drive about 300 miles a day, and with the Sable, I never get bored. Great performance, I feel safe, it's comfortable, and reliable. I drove 2000 miles to North Carolina and back, and she made it just beautifully. I love my car, and with oil changes every 5,000 miles instead of 3,000, I never worry about being that poor girl broke down on the side of the road!

Bargain, good all around car
By TroyT on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

First brake job @ 68K, oil changes every 4K, high mileage user, car keeps running like a charm. This is Sable #3 for me. This is the first to have problems, although under extended warranty. 2nd Transmission for some reason, never had problems with the others. Good gas mileage on the long trips, many times hauling a LARGE trunk full of "stuff" and 5 people of normal size. Great family car that's still fun to drive with 24V engine!

GREAT USED CAR SO FAR
By Mikefromsantaclara on 07/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Driven 50,000 miles over the past two years, no major problems. Just did my first brake job at 65,000 miles along with a major tune-up. Oil changes every 6,000 miles with filter changes every other 12,000. Driven every day for business. Over the road Salesman start and stop traffic, with alot of highway miles.

QUALITY AT BARGAIN
By irv on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

ONE OF THE FINEST AUTO'S I'VE OWNED IN FORTY YEARS OF DRIVING IN THE NYC AREA WILL BUY ANOTHER AT 250000MILES EASY SERVICE GREAT SAFETY WITH MY NEW TOYO PREM TIRES . A GREAT FAMILY CAR!