Used 1999 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercury Sable

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Sable's been good to me
By johnny5

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

At 135K miles, I can't complain much, I have no major repairs at all. Proper maintenance is key. My pet peeve is the retraction of the rear seat belts. They were installed such that they need flipped over to be worn, and then get caught on retraction becuase the belt is twisted. This is a lack of attention to detail in the design & manufacturing process that should not exist. This car is still fun to drive.

1999 Mercury Sable
By Ford Fan

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

This is my 15th car I have owned. It has been the best performer of all. I looks and performs very well. It is comfortable on long trips or short trips to the store. I have owned Ford, Chevrolet, Plymouth, Toyota, and Isuzu vehicles. None have performed or been more reliable than this Sable. I'm sorry they are being discontinued.

Favorite Features

I like the performance. It has great acceleration to get up to highway speeds. I also like the automatic heat/AC. I just set the temperature I want and am comfortable the year round.

Suggested Improvements

The windshield wiper sometimes goes on without my touching the switch. This is a problem that I had with my 1989 Taurus and should have been fixed. It is a nuisance.

Not bad
By Cape Robert

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

I previously owned a 1997 GS and put on 135K and drove it till it dropped. It was good, solid and economical transportation which is why I bought this one. The '97 had the basic engine gave me 27+ MPG hwy. I followed the owners manual as to when to perform maintenance and cannot complain (of course, I never took it a dealer where their rates were way oput of line). My 1999 with the 24 valve OHV which is very peppy averages about 25+ MPG highway. Both are great salesman cars and I look at them as a disposable products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Favorite Features

Relatively comfortable and economical to to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The car has been replaced by another model

always something going wrong
By Mike

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

It had 118,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2004. In one year I have replaced the battery, steering pump, back brake calipers, rotors, tires, spark plug wires, O2 sensor, coolant over flow bottle, rack and pinion $900, and the engine light is on now and the car surges because another sensor has gone bad and its like having a car payment every month. My Windstar was worse. My family has owned Ford cars for more than 50 years and they all had electrical problems. Once the engine light comes on it never shuts off. I've had it!!!

Favorite Features

Cheap, depreciate really fast so never buy a new one.

Suggested Improvements

Thank you for discontinuing the model.

Great All Around Car!
By Mike

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

The Sable (Merc version of the Ford Taurus) has been found to be a safe and reliable full-size, mid-price, passenger car. I bought it as a "first car" for my 17 year old daughter during her senior year in high school. It has ample style and power; plus plenty of room to move a kid into a dorm room 200 miles away. I fully expect it to satisfy her vehicle needs throughout her college years.

Favorite Features

3.0 ltr. engine, ABS and air bag systems.

Suggested Improvements

Do something with the side design that alows the top of the doors to extend past the protective side molding.