1999 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
99 sable ls
By tazffemtvb on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

this car is AWESOME! My wife and I just bought it. I love the peppy dohc v-6. The only problem that we have found is that the flip over cup holder interferes with use of the ashtray, and the trunk is massive, if you can get anything in it due to the small opening. The leather interior is the most comfortable i've ever sat on. I drive limos for a living and this car feels more luxurious. Overall we love it!

99 Sable LS
By giuseppe on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

This is a great value and a good, solid performer.

The 1999 Sable LX, with full leather
By G de Santillana on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I have had zero problems, none whatsoever, in the four years I have owned this car. It is solid, very comfortable, a good performer, and everything works perfectly. The only drawbacks I have noted: the car is a bit jiggly on rough pavements, and the engine (the DOHC) is sort of unrefined compared to the Camry or Accord.

Problems, Problems
By rlb71956 on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

Reliability has been marginal at best. Vehicle currently has only 81,000 miles, and have already had to have a complete new transmission ($3,000), replaced the alternator, replaced the power steering pump, replaced the front wheel bearings, replaced the rear brakes and rotors, replaced the front brakes and rotors. Interior quality also not so good, with holes in the carpet on the driver's side. Trade-in value seems to be going down a LOT faster than my loan balance.

Dollar to Death
By dr j on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

The QC at ford stinks. The wagon has only 64000 on it and a landry list of reparis. Starting with half shafts, then warped rotors, then the 3rd brake lite flew off, then the vacumn system failed (this means your car will start but not move, fun). Also before the vacumn failed the Service light came on and the yo-yos at the dealership couldnt find the problem. Now the RF window is poping out. What a hunk of junk, my real feelings are R rated!

Not suggested
By JJsoares on 07/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Though it has been a good car overall it seems ford needs to take the time to redesign their transmissions. Since I bought the car I am now about to put the third transmission into this car. At a cost of about three thousand dollars per transmission, I have put more into it than I have payed off. one transmission had lasted 108,000 miles, and the other has die at 181,000. I have had a lot of trouble with the car but by far the most serious has been the transmission, which if you talk to any ford dealer mechanic they will tell you it is a common problem.

not a good choice
By florida on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Its no wonder rental car companies buy these. At 19,000 miles, i love it. I drove it to New York form Orlando.Past 25,000 miles, starts to show minor wear and tear(engine rattling).30,000: Brakes arer bad, i keep on bringing it in for brakes until the 40,000 mile mark.Did brakes 20 times(no kidding).Guy at the dealer told me to sell it before serious trouble happens (told me all of the cars are junk).43,500 miles: engine revs to 5000 RPMS when shifting from first to second gear.44,000:I look at camarys,brakes are mushier on camarys than on my sable (drove several camarys). I finialy trade it in for a Hyundai Sonata Do admit sable was very comfortable though.

My Big Red Wagon
By stantheman on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

My '99 Sable LS wagon replaced a '96 Explorer with the V8. The Sable's horsepower is only 5 less than the Explorer. Since I do not tow anything, I did not miss the difference in the torque. The cargo capacity is not far off from the Explorer. The car is comfortable. I have made several road trips of at least 500 miles; all in comfort. The LS bells and whistles (options)are icing on an outstanding cake. My wife still prefers an SUV but has no qualms about using my car when she needs to move people and/or stuff!

99 Sable LS
By Golfer on 04/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

In almost 4 years of use and 37000 miles, besides oil changes and tire rotation Ive only replaced the battery. The car is very dependable and the leather seating is as comfortable as they come. While many criticize the exterior design, I still enjoy looking at its style from front to back, especially the sides not being your typical flat sheet metal style as on most imports. Hope to get another 4 great years from it but just might get another new Sable before that with the price being one of the best values on the market.

Good workhorse car
By robroyal on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

This is my fourth Sable/Taurus wagon, and I'm shopping for a new one now. The earlier models were plagued with transmission problems, but at 98k, the transmission on the '99 is doing just fine. I only do required maintenance. The only problem I had over the last four years was an intermittant electrical problem; turned out to be a loose battery post. Anyway, nothing but praise for this old workhorse. I load the back with forklifts, I carry my bikes on top, it's my restaurant, and dormitory.