1999 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
poor mechanical reliability but some fun
By Superpops on 06/25/05 15:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Replaced/ returned front braker rotors three times in first 75000 miles. Replaced front steering rack and power steering pump at 65000 miles. Car gets poor fuel economy intown 12 - 18 MPG & hwy 28 MPG. Will hang on to this car untill a catastropic failure occurs.

One Great Wagon
By Stoggs on 02/26/05 18:46 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

This is one great, practical Wagon. The 3.0 24 valve 200hp engine is very powerful, handling is great, flat through the turns and I can get 7 people in it as long as three of them are children. Driving comfort is very good also. The climate contol is perfect. So far it been the most dependable car I've owned. I highly recommend it.

something wrong
By scott on 02/16/05 14:34 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for thity days. There is something wrong when the car is cold. There is a hesitation in the accelleration at about 40 miles per hour. The dealer replaced a transmission line and a purge cannister (gas was leaking). the dealership has been good to take care of the charges so far.

Good car
By celticdoc on 11/13/04 16:59 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

The only problem that I had with this car is that the brakes wore out every 25,000 miles. The breaks also had a loud squeaking after several thousand miles. Other than that, the car ran great.

Great Car at Great Price
By Love my Sable on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Sable in 2000. I have only had to do routine maitenance on it and have had NO problems with the car whatsoever. It is a smooth and comfortable ride and the most dependable car I have ever owned. The only negative thing I can even say about it is that it is a bit of a gas hog. Other than that, I love my Sable:)

Woody Goody
By Cam 2004 on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

I always wanted a big wagon with wood paneling. But those 80's Fords were too old. But I also wanted a used car. So when I swa one of these on the road I wanted it. I didn't like the front of the Ford Tarus model, I liked the front of the Mercury, the turn signals being in the grille.(reminds me of an old 1960's Dodge Dart.)So, it was not too old, but not brand new, so I bought a white SL model. I then bought a roll of fake wood paneling, from Stripeman.com, and coustomized my wagon. (I loved the Brady Bunch wagon.)It was a bit pricey, but I loved the way my new wagon looked! Its a great family car, lots of room and versital, if you get one with a roof rack like I did.

family man with 91k
By Urbanrob on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 84k miles and I'm impressed. The Duratec engine starts easy in the winter and has ample pep. I get about 22.5 mpg on average (after tune up), which could be better I think. It's comfortable, quiet and roomy. No problem driving in snow. Huge trunk but the opening could be bigger. Its rather susceptible to cross winds when driving at highway speeds but otherwise smooth and solid (no rattle). The heated mirrors clear ice/snow build up pretty quick. Plenty of room for 3 kid seats in the back.

Sable -$ fror $ = the best buy
By M535i on 05/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

We are just about at 70,000 miles and never had any major repairs. The car is much faster than compatible modles and the LS trim makes the car look real sleak. Don't be afraid of buying as sable! However, never buy one with a trailer hitch as the tranmittions are not designed for towing. Stay away fromt the 3.8 Liter motor because of head gasket problems. I have leather seats, sunroof and climate control and a compatible Toyota Camry would have been a lot of thousands more. Why pay all that extra money.

My 99 Sable
By adriene09 on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

First car I bought new when I was just out of college. very impressed that I could afford leather and a moon roof for $23,000- tax, title, license all included--- and 0.9% financing to boot. test drove a pontiac grand prix and couldn't see out of it Sable is a good buy for what you get. Good on tires- first set went to 65,000 miles... got the same mileage out of original brakes as well. Would recommend car to anyone looking for a good used car (provided the original owener took good care of it, of course).

Nice Ride at a Fair Price
By daddio on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

This is my sixth Sable/Taurus and my first wagon. I am quite satisfied. You get a lot of nice features, a lot of comfort, and a lot of room, all for not much money. I have had no problems with this Sable, and am now giving it to my daughter as her first commuter vehicle.