Used 1999 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

My Sable
By CLAREMORE BOY

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

It's been a decent car for the most part. We've put over 80,000 miles on it in 4 yrs. The problems have been the cooling system, the brake rotors, and the heater core went out a year ago. And why Ford put independent rear suspension on it, i'll never know, just extra struts to be replaced! The wind noise is right on the edge of being tolerable. However, I wouldn't be afraid to go cross country in her right now! A person could do worse.

I like the streamlined appearance.

Better brake designs and I hate the idiot lights.

the worst ever
By bill

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

replaced the transmission 3 times this car is horrible will never buy American junk again!

none

don't make it anymore

I will never buy another Murcury/Ford
By I hate this car

1999 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car ever. I hate this car. The windshield wipers go off practically non stop without you even touching the dial. They are especially worse whenever I use the turn signal, and they'll go off about 10 times every time I turn. The transmission is iffy, it misses all the time, and is very jerky. It probably needs to be fixed! The brakes need to be serviced again, I already had them replaced once. (I've got about 120,000 miles on it). It's got some nice features inside. I like the power seats, and it's got awesome AC. But there is nothing worse than driving down the road with your brakes squealing and wipers going off like crazy. Don't buy one!

AC, Gas mileage is decent, power everything is pretty nice too.

Transmission is awful, brakes are terrible, windshield wipers going off all the time.

I love my sable
By MR SABLE!

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

good car, my tranny went after 122,000 miles, got it replaced and she runs fine. it's also pretty fast

weather control is awesome

the car is rather long, harder to park in the city

Another Ford Transmission Problem
By Steve--Midlothian VA

1999 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I am the 2nd owner of my '99 Sable (owned it for almost 4 years). It has only 70k miles on it, but it already needs major transmission work. It slips, or neutrals out momentarily, when starting from a stop. Ford, this is a safety issue, not just a value issue! No car should require a transmission rebuild at 70k. Additionally, the ABS light comes on intermittently, the brake pedal groans a bit, then sinks slightly to the floor. The dealer says his diagnostic computer can't communicate with my car's computer, so he doesn't know what's wrong or how to fix it. Makes me feel like I own a FIAT ("Fix It Again, Tony"). Now I understand why so many people switch to Hondas and Toyotas.

Leather, sunroof, fairly comfortable on long rides, leg and head room for tall people, even in back seat.

Upgraded brake rotors and transmissions. Especially transmissions!