1999 Mercury Sable Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Love this car, but am concerned ........
By JerseyJeff on 12/20/09 14:07 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 12K miles on it 10 years ago. Now has 120K miles on it. Overall, I am satisfied however my concerns are, the cooling system needs tobe flushed every 18 months to clean out the heater core, the windshield wipers come on buy themselves, the cruise control works sporadically, and the ABS light comes on when it is very cold out. The really big issue was when the brake lines rusted out last summer while my 19 year old son was driving. The brakes failed and he ran into the car in front of him. I thought the car had been well maintained, but it seems no one had checked the brake lines. I understand rusting brake lines are a common Ford issue.

Pretty Good
By BK on 12/08/08 08:30 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I bought mine 6 years ago with 28,716, it now has 195,000. The tranny can be hard to shift when parked on a slope, but it has held up. The car's engine is solid and has been no problem what so ever. The wipers go off every so often. I have had problems for the past two years with the fan not blowing heat when on high, maybe crud in the lines again. It can really be hard to get anything in that trunk opening and folding mirrors would be nice also. The car has had its share of problems with stuff that has failed but never all at once and only a few hundred bucks, nothing that would break the bank. Junkyards, good auto repair shops, parts stores and plus any maintenance I do keep it running.

Not a bad choice dependable comfortable
By G Man on 02/12/08 08:59 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I got this low mileage car with fears of why it was available, but I must say it has really performed. The interior is nice, has lots of extras and the ride itself is smooth. This is a very dependable car and I would recommend it to others. The key is getting one with low mileage and was well maintained. The trunk space is huge, and stereo system very good. The engine and transmission are solid with the exception of the hidden radiator and no way of checking it. Suspension is fine. Not the best on gas however. There are really no complaints here. A good investment.

A good, solid car
By Mickie G on 09/19/07 09:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

There is one major drawback, gas gas gas consumption. Otherwise this is a solid investment if you purchase this car with low mileage and car fax proves that it was not driven into the ground. If the car was well maintained and has clean background, this is indeed a great car to have.

Solid, if low miles
By A Good Solid Car on 09/18/07 23:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

The car is a solid investment, runs well and is easy to handle. The engine is very reliable but gas mileage is not the best by far. Excellent vehicle over all. Would recommend a low mileage well taken care of car.

My Sable
By CLAREMORE BOY on 04/25/07 14:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

It's been a decent car for the most part. We've put over 80,000 miles on it in 4 yrs. The problems have been the cooling system, the brake rotors, and the heater core went out a year ago. And why Ford put independent rear suspension on it, i'll never know, just extra struts to be replaced! The wind noise is right on the edge of being tolerable. However, I wouldn't be afraid to go cross country in her right now! A person could do worse.

the worst ever
By bill on 03/23/07 22:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

replaced the transmission 3 times this car is horrible will never buy American junk again!

I will never buy another Murcury/Ford
By I hate this car on 09/09/06 16:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car ever. I hate this car. The windshield wipers go off practically non stop without you even touching the dial. They are especially worse whenever I use the turn signal, and they'll go off about 10 times every time I turn. The transmission is iffy, it misses all the time, and is very jerky. It probably needs to be fixed! The brakes need to be serviced again, I already had them replaced once. (I've got about 120,000 miles on it). It's got some nice features inside. I like the power seats, and it's got awesome AC. But there is nothing worse than driving down the road with your brakes squealing and wipers going off like crazy. Don't buy one!

Great All Around Car!
By Mike on 10/24/05 23:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

The Sable (Merc version of the Ford Taurus) has been found to be a safe and reliable full-size, mid-price, passenger car. I bought it as a "first car" for my 17 year old daughter during her senior year in high school. It has ample style and power; plus plenty of room to move a kid into a dorm room 200 miles away. I fully expect it to satisfy her vehicle needs throughout her college years.

something wrong
By scott on 02/16/05 14:34 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for thity days. There is something wrong when the car is cold. There is a hesitation in the accelleration at about 40 miles per hour. The dealer replaced a transmission line and a purge cannister (gas was leaking). the dealership has been good to take care of the charges so far.