1998 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Was Good, Then A Moneypit
By londonlad1 on 08/18/14 10:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

A horrible aberration. Previous Fords, even oldies have been rock solid. I paid $2300 for this, 1 owner, full history 73k on the clock. Was great for a year, then it started to mug me on a regular basis for repair money. $1200 (steering rack), $300 (water pump) $170 (serpentine belt & tensioner) $600 (2 wheel bearings) $500 (front calipers & pads) $100 (EGR valve and perished vacuum hoses - did that myself) $300 (removal of throttle body & cleaning clogged air intakes, $1200 (aircon evaporator) $1200 (aircon compressor) and $100 (headlamps, did those myself) What was a bargain has cost me a fortune. Next time, I'll buy an old Jag. At least I'll go broke in style.

Best used vehicle I have owned.
By vtray on 07/20/12 10:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I am 73 and have owned a lot of vehicles, both new and used. I bought this car in Florida with 69K miles on it. We have a condo in Fl and live in VT. I drove it (packed to the ceiling) to Vermont (1635 Miles) and never had a problem. When I bought it, I had a wheel alignment and two new tires. Other than that, nothing was done. Although it is a GS model it has a lot of add ons such as the V6 Durotec engine with dual exhaust, leather all around, power seats, security system, chrome wheels etc. The Durotec is fantastic. It is quick (200HP) and yet delivers 28 MPG on the highway. Have had the car for about 9 months and no problems yet.

Good on service
By John on 04/12/10 11:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

I bought this wagon with 98K and I have about 175K now. I had some problems with the emissions control, brakes and tires, normal stuff. Just recently I brought it in because it was running a little rough. The station called me a few hours to say if needed a tune up, so OK. I did not tune it since I bought the car, so I though that was pretty good. As it turns out, I had original plugs in the car. 175K miles before it's first tune up! Not bad and still going strong.

This is my best friend
By Barbara Erives on 11/16/09 08:16 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

For an American made car, this car is great. Reliable, comfortable and for a V6 good on gas. I have never had a car with this much milage that I could say that about. I will be getting another Sable soon, only because of body damage done to this vehicle by an incompetent employee at an auto repair shop, and the company's insurance company decided it was a total loss and I will use the money from that to buy a newer model Sable. I think Mercury was crazy to discontinue this model for 2010 because it is a good solid car. Since I've had it, nothing has gone on it that wasn't normal wear and tear.

A Great Car
By jendretzky88 on 05/30/09 15:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 2000 w/15,000 miles. Currently has 186,000 miles and still going strong. The parts are cheap and just about anyone can work on it. I do regular maintenance but outside of that I have replaced a coolant tube($100)and tie rods($200) at about 100,000 miles. My rear springs broke at 175,000 miles($600). The under carriage plate was loose at 150,00 and 180,000 miles, but my mechanic just tightened it and its fine. I really can't complain about her. She has had some work done to her but it beats buying a new car and it wasn't a big head ache. It has been a great reliable car. My problem now is that I don't trust to buy a new car and it will be as reliable.

Great Car
By sandy on 04/17/09 06:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used, 10+ years ago, with 25000 mls on it. Car now has over 276,000+ miles. It consistently gets 21 mpg. We recently took a 1000 mile trip and got 29 mpg. Getting old and having some problems but has been a GREAT car!!! Will probably replace with a used, NOT new style, model.

Very good results
By Lew on 07/06/08 15:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I have had no bad results and would recommend this car for any family. It has a lot of power and speed. The body has a few chips in the paint but no dents. It is white in color with beige cloth interior. Power driver seat. I just had the speed sensor replaced in the transmission. This is the only problem I have ever had with this car. It has 67000 miles on it.

Old reliable
By Ron on 05/03/08 11:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Bought new with 37 miles on it. Wife drives most of time. After 10 yrs. and 63000 miles it still performs much the same. Duratec v6 hard to beat. Plenty of power to spare and mileage is good for a large car. Car is much lower to ground than new 2008 model. I am 62 now and not as flexible as I was at 52 when I bought. This is now my biggest complaint as entering and exiting has become less convenient. New model probably better for this. In 1st 3 yrs had to replace every power window motor and antenna motor. At warranty end air went out but was repaired by dealer at no cost. Front leather buckets are only good for short trips. Killers for trips over 4 hrs. Trunk only good for groceries or flat items

Ten years and still going
By Chris on 01/05/08 23:23 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I saw this car in 2005 now mind you it is about to reach the ten year mark, and has 93k miles on it, you could've told me it just left the factory yesterday and I would have believed you. I had it checked out,a nd yes there were some problems, problems all too common with the Sable, but the dealer was happy to fix them and I for $3500 walked away with an above average used car. I am happy to tell you, the car to this day still turns heads, provides a smooth ride and on I-95 can keep up with those around it. After 150k miles my used car shows no signs of stopping and thanks to Ford I will not have to go through the process of buying a car anytime soon, thank you.

Reliableness
By saget222 on 01/10/07 06:24 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Great reliable car. When over 115,000 problems may start to occur, in my case anyway. Can really get what you pay for with this car. Bought with 80,000 and didn't have a single problem for over 4 years.