1997 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
it's too bad
By john libile on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with the hope that American manufacturers had actually started to put some quality control into the design/manufacturing process after a decade of being beat out by the Japanese; I was wrong. I bought this car for my daughter and I will never make the same mistake of buying American again. This car has had the transmission rebuilt twice, and it is once again failing.The engine runs poorly and is burning nearly a quart of oil a week; my mechanic tells me it's due for a rebuild. The ergonomics are so so and the styling is lackluster. Now I remember why I should stick to Honda and Toyota.

my mercury sable 4dr ls
By hohmaniii on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Researched vehicle online (edmunds to be exact), prior to purchase safety was paramount and this vehicle rated with the imports. Tried new cavalier (sardine can)new monte carlo (too stiff)and one other car i can't remember. took the sable out for a test drive tapped the accelerator and experienced my first case of whiplash. Turned around went back to dealership and bought it.Car has been trouble free (changed brake pads 68,000), (tires at 60,000)and windshield wipers. Had one headlamp bulb failure simple repair. I am in the market for another car and the mercury dealer will be my first stop. I may buy somethingelse but it will be a hard sell.

Nice looking car, Major Problems
By bobsfl on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Hey, The car is a nice looking car and very comfortable, but I think I must have purchased a lemon. Starting at 20K miles the A/C went, then at 30K the A/C went again, then at 60K the Transmission went, Then at 75K the A/C went again, 80K the alternator went, 100K the engine went....and the list continues. I wrote ford and they were like tough luck. I have never missed an oil change and have always kept up on the so called preventative maintenance. That didnt seem to prevent anything... Anyways be careful with this car.

A few problems
By Fred Applegate on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

At 5 1/2 years and 52000, after light suburban driving and regular maintenance, the car needed a transmission rebuild and a new front end at a cost of more than $3300. The mechanics seemed not to be surprised, and I know them. Our kids play soccer together, and he is an honest guy. I can only imagine how much this would have cost at a dealer! The biggest problem is that it is the ideal car for our needs.

It's an all right car
By autoelectric on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

After over a 100,000 miles it is using some oil, probably a cylinder head problem. It has good performance. Just had some minor problems with car.

ITS AN OK CAR, WEVE HAD BETTER
By T MILLER on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

WE HAVE HAD THIS CAR FOR 13 MONTHS. ITS AN OK CAR. WE HAVE HAD BETTER.

Very Good Quality, Low Maintenance
By JAJ1957 on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

This car has been quite reliable overall. With a couple of exceptions, it has been nearly maintenance free, other than normal wear items. It gets terrific highway gas mileage and rides very smoothly over most road conditions. I highly recommend this car to anyone needing affordable, reliable transportation!

sable=good
By jimf on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

The sable is good. It reminds me of a Ford Taurus. It should be driven by more people.

sable=good
By Jimf on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Cydni's Car Named Poopsie
By Cydni on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I have had only minor problems with my transmission. Now I am in the process of getting those fixed. When you purchase a used car you have to be aware you'll have to fix the mistakes of the previous owners. Nevertheless I love my car, and she loves me. It has been back and forth from Chicago to Alabama 3 times since I purchased it...NO PROBLEMS !!!!