1997 Mercury Sable Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Love this car
By Lori on 04/16/07 14:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

I've driven this car for years now and it's a kicker. Strong engine, reliable vehicle, comfortable enough, Plenty of room for everyone and thing. It's roof rack and fold down seats was next best thing to owning a truck when the need arised. At 160k it was still going strong, I anticipated it lasting 200k easy. Safety second to none. I was hit and it took it, no one was hurt in the car. Definite keeper. Looking for another one now.

Great car
By zikj on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

Car has 170,000 miles and still going strong. Only a few minor issues that you might expect after 100,000 miles. Camshaft sensor went out, rear wheels have gone out of alignment requiring some filing and the transmission acted up at 130,000 miles but then corrected itself (go figure). Overall a great vehicle and believe it will go well past 200,000 miles. Would buy another. Great handling, style, comfort, quiet and reliable.

Awesome Vehicle
By amazonkarebear on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

I bought this vehicle because my old car was a peice of crap and dying and I needed something quick. This car was a very good price and in excellent condtion from the previous owner.

A few problems
By Fred Applegate on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

At 5 1/2 years and 52000, after light suburban driving and regular maintenance, the car needed a transmission rebuild and a new front end at a cost of more than $3300. The mechanics seemed not to be surprised, and I know them. Our kids play soccer together, and he is an honest guy. I can only imagine how much this would have cost at a dealer! The biggest problem is that it is the ideal car for our needs.

sable=good
By Jimf on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

The sable is good. It reminds me of a Ford Taurus. It should be driven by more people.

sable=good
By jimf on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Very Durable Performer
By Rolling in Mississip on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable Wagon GS 4dr Wagon

We had our previous Sable (1986 wagon) for 240,000 miles and loved it -- great ride, room and comfort, plus 30 mpg highway. So we bought the 1997. Initially, I didn't like it much because the seats were firmer, the springs were harsher and the ride had too much "road feel." It also had less interior space. (And lower fuel economy (28 mpg highway). All that said, my admiration for the car keeps growing and growing. It is very dependable. Nothing has had to be replaced except for tires and oil, so far. This baby ought to go 300,000 easy.