Used 1997 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

overall a great car
By baldwin125

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I got this car in the summer of 08. had 143k on it. it rode smoothly. it was quick to accelerate and handling was very responsive. Never got stuck in the winter. had to travel on some really muddy roads sometimes and had no trouble getting through. one concern i had was the transmission. it lagged from 1st to 2nd sometimes but never became a huge issue. I had to repair the altenator twice and replaced the starter once. lots of interior room, huge trunk space. speakers were great quality. ac was beyond amazing, heat was slow but great none the less. i was in an accident in the winter. id say the saftey of the vehicle is excellent. it was a rear end collision and nobody in the car was injured.

sound system, interior room, great safety.

the sable line has since been discontinued but if i would suggest improvements it would be the transmission shifting. could've been smoother form first to second

ugly car but a great car
By Sarah

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I really didn't want to buy this car. I thought it was ugly as could be. But the motor had blown in my other car and I needed a new one quick that was pretty cheap. We got it for like 3500 with only like 80K miles. It has run like a champ with no problems at all! Rides very smooth, even at high speeds. I'm looking for a new car now only because we are about to have another child and need a bigger car. It has almost 160K miles and still nothing wrong with it.

the handling and ride. Rides very smooth and has pretty good accerlation considering how large it is.

Really they are just ugly cars. The news ones aren't so bad but this body still is just hideous i think.

ok car
By Nicole

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used from a private person.I drove it about 2 months then it broke down on me then I got that fixed. I guess the fuel pump was clogged. When I first got it I needed to get in inspected so I proceded to do so and they wouldnt do it because of the spring coil on the passenger side was bad. The speedometer is bad on it have the time I drive it I have no speedomter. I thought I was getting a great car but I thought Wrong. Over all for some people the car maybe be great but for me it was bust.

My Sable
By Jay

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my sable Valentines day and i was very iffy about buying one. but now i know with regular maintenance it should make it to end

the highway MPG, the leather, the smooth ride , the sunroof , the trunk size

stronger shocks ...better sound system

Solid Car
By brigham1525

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since around 2002, and it's been a solid car. The leather seats are nice, has a good brand name, and though not as good as some foreign cars, better than most American cars from the late 90's to early 2000's. The only problems I've endured with it so far is some suspension/wheel problems, which was an easy fix, and in the winter, when I tried to warm my car up, then leave it, it would stall a little bit. But besides that, it's a good car, though not tremendous, still gets the job done with a fine brand name.

Leather seats are nice, roomy interior, nice looking outside (doesn't have a "boxy" appearance like some cars 12 years ago)

Seeing as it's an older car, it doesn't have as many new features as a newer (or foreign) car would have (dvd player, automatic headlights, park assist, etc). But the only improvement would be the transmission and engine, where it would sometimes stall, but that's the only thing I would improve on