1997 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
overall a great car
By baldwin125 on 05/19/10 20:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I got this car in the summer of 08. had 143k on it. it rode smoothly. it was quick to accelerate and handling was very responsive. Never got stuck in the winter. had to travel on some really muddy roads sometimes and had no trouble getting through. one concern i had was the transmission. it lagged from 1st to 2nd sometimes but never became a huge issue. I had to repair the altenator twice and replaced the starter once. lots of interior room, huge trunk space. speakers were great quality. ac was beyond amazing, heat was slow but great none the less. i was in an accident in the winter. id say the saftey of the vehicle is excellent. it was a rear end collision and nobody in the car was injured.

ugly car but a great car
By Sarah on 04/26/10 10:51 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I really didn't want to buy this car. I thought it was ugly as could be. But the motor had blown in my other car and I needed a new one quick that was pretty cheap. We got it for like 3500 with only like 80K miles. It has run like a champ with no problems at all! Rides very smooth, even at high speeds. I'm looking for a new car now only because we are about to have another child and need a bigger car. It has almost 160K miles and still nothing wrong with it.

ok car
By Nicole on 02/12/10 06:40 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used from a private person.I drove it about 2 months then it broke down on me then I got that fixed. I guess the fuel pump was clogged. When I first got it I needed to get in inspected so I proceded to do so and they wouldnt do it because of the spring coil on the passenger side was bad. The speedometer is bad on it have the time I drive it I have no speedomter. I thought I was getting a great car but I thought Wrong. Over all for some people the car maybe be great but for me it was bust.

My Sable
By Jay on 06/13/09 11:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my sable Valentines day and i was very iffy about buying one. but now i know with regular maintenance it should make it to end

Solid Car
By brigham1525 on 04/06/09 14:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since around 2002, and it's been a solid car. The leather seats are nice, has a good brand name, and though not as good as some foreign cars, better than most American cars from the late 90's to early 2000's. The only problems I've endured with it so far is some suspension/wheel problems, which was an easy fix, and in the winter, when I tried to warm my car up, then leave it, it would stall a little bit. But besides that, it's a good car, though not tremendous, still gets the job done with a fine brand name.

Good as the first car
By fan on 09/10/08 16:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I actually hesitated before I bought this car one year ago. A year later, I think i made a good choice. The car is a good choice if it is your first car. It is safe but not stupid. It is powerful but not aggressive. It looks like a fish but not a food stamp. Up to now, I replaced the power steering pulley, the rear suspension link bar and two tires. In total, I spent 2700+ 1000 for this car, that is only 3700! And I get a fully loaded senior luxury car. I drive the car with comfort and confidence, as I know it is safe to drive such a car.

Fantastic car
By Gina on 08/11/08 12:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Bought my Sable used/private with 79000 miles on it 5 years ago. Now has 200000 miles and is not ready to go yet! I have had no major problems with this car! I commute 80 miles daily-car loves the hwy, great mileage. Car now has some issues (fixable) but probably because of age and life. Driving it to the end. Next car will be newer Taurus as can't get the Sable anymore. Can't say enough about this car. Very comfortable and powerful ride. Both interior and exterior is quite sleek. Easy to get parts. Big trunk, lots of leg room, power everything! Highly recommended. Will miss it.

1997 Sable LS 3.0 DOHC
By Privet Sale on 07/15/08 10:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I love the look, ride and feel of this car. The 200HP DOHC engine makes the car. The gas mileage is OK for a 6cyl. It handles a lot better than I would have thought. The streering has a great feel to it and the brakes stop it on a dime. The only complaint I have is the radio/heater control pod. It doesn't easily allow you to put a better stereo in it without buying an expensive dash plate.

Comfortable ride
By Jimster on 01/08/08 22:23 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because we needed a cheap car to make it the end of the year. I have neever been a fan of Sables(mostly because of how they looked). After test driving the Sable, I changed my mind. It was very comfortable and easy to drive. It had about 137,000 miles already on it when I purchased it and is still going strong almost a year later.

Very good return on investment
By Mike B. Beats on 08/06/07 08:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased mine in 02 with 46K on it for 6500. In my opinion, I couldn't have spent my money more wisely on a car. I got everything I wanted in the car besides a cd player. It gave me roughly 100K miles with minimal problems. The trans went out at 145K and it costs to much to repair, given the value of the car, but it's a great car otherwise. the heat/AC is stellar. The HP is good. It doesn't handle the best, but we're not racing here. The inside is very comfortable, and my favorite part is that it doesn't draw any negative attention. It is difficult to steal too, which is always a bonus. For the money you spend, you get a good product in return. this car is a road warrior.