Great car & still running strong at 117K
By Roger on
1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan
I purchased this car brand new as our main family vehicle. Twelve years & 117000 miles later, it still runs & looks like new. I have done all my own maintainence (oil & filter changes every 3000 miles, trans service every 40K). As a result the car has rewarded me with exceptional reliabiity. Only major repairs consisted of axle replacement at approximately 70K due to tearing of boots from encounter with higway debris & lower ball joints replacement due to potholed streets at 105K. This car is my main transportation to & from work. My wife drives a 2005 Five Hundred also purchased new & also being maintained very well with expectation it too will last over 10 years & over 100K miles.
Favorite Features
Reliability & performance of duratec engine. Leather interior still looks great and comfortable to sit in. Waxing & polishing of exterior paint results in car looking new again.
Suggested Improvements
After 12 years & 117K miles, have developed some squeeks and rattles, roadnoise level has increased, however, that's to be expected.