Used 1996 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

1996 Mercury Sable

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

second Sable (ditto)
By second Sable (ditto)

1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Second Sable written 10-16-07 is identical to my own experience. Traded my 1986 for the 3 year old 1996. Love the Smoked Amethyst paint (but can't spell it?) but disappointed with the decontenting from 1986 model. No problems whatsoever, but I know a lot about treating and driving cars to insure long life. Also have a 1966 Corvette and 1975 Toyota - both bought new. The Sable is an excellent airport pickup car with six belted seating positions and huge trunk. Invisible to state troopers and thieves/vandals alike.

Favorite Features

Looks like a rental car. Nobody expects a big tip or tries to sue the owner of this car. Unlike arriving in the Corvette which is treated as a mobile ATM by valets, doormen, service bays, dates and police.

Suggested Improvements

That automatic heater is either too cold at 60 degrees or too warm at 65 degrees. Who does this and how do we make him own a car with this system?

Used to be reliable
By Denise

1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in the middle of 2005 with less then 60,000 miles on it. Since I have had it I had to get the rear suspension replaces, brakes redone, I had the serpentine belt replaced and the whole airconditioning unit. Recently I had to have all the wiring replaced and a wk earlier the spark plugs replaced because the car refused to start and gasoline drenched everything. The engine light has been on forever and I have had the codes fixed everytime. In the summer it overheats if I am in town and I have had the whole cooling system serviced and nothing is even wrong with it. The interior has started to peel off and the paneling on the doors falls of, had it fixed but refuses to stay.

Favorite Features

Car outside looks brand new, all my friends thought it was a new vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Should've been planned out better, interior is horrible and the mechanical part is just as bad.

Very positive experience
By bjgreen

1996 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I owned this car cradle (~10k miles) to grave (117k miles) over the last 12 twelve years. It was a very reliable car up until the end. The fuel economy was also very good (28-29mpg in mostly freeway driving). The interior was very comfortable for my family of 5. But by current standards it lacks in the safety features department. This car never saw the inside of a garage, but the paint still looks great. In the end, a belt tensioner popped off on the freeway and I continued to drive the car - severely overheating the engine (definitely a bad idea on my part). Had it not been for this incident, I'm confident the engine would have gone at least another 50k miles.

Favorite Features

Roomy back seat, comfortable front seats, and a fuel efficient yet powerful 3.0 V6 engine

Suggested Improvements

Well this is a 12 year old car and as such it lacks a lot of modern amenities and safety features. I suppose the exterior styling always seemed a bit overly "egg-like" for my taste.

Great car & still running strong at 117K
By Roger

1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car brand new as our main family vehicle. Twelve years & 117000 miles later, it still runs & looks like new. I have done all my own maintainence (oil & filter changes every 3000 miles, trans service every 40K). As a result the car has rewarded me with exceptional reliabiity. Only major repairs consisted of axle replacement at approximately 70K due to tearing of boots from encounter with higway debris & lower ball joints replacement due to potholed streets at 105K. This car is my main transportation to & from work. My wife drives a 2005 Five Hundred also purchased new & also being maintained very well with expectation it too will last over 10 years & over 100K miles.

Favorite Features

Reliability & performance of duratec engine. Leather interior still looks great and comfortable to sit in. Waxing & polishing of exterior paint results in car looking new again.

Suggested Improvements

After 12 years & 117K miles, have developed some squeeks and rattles, roadnoise level has increased, however, that's to be expected.

Second Sable
By Sable owner

1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1986 Sable because it was part of the new wave of "jelly bean" styling from Ford. I kept it until 1999 and traded it for a used 1996 Sable. Now I have 76,000 miles on the 1996 and it runs fine. No expenses at all for repairs. 25 mpg and 7000 miles between oil changes. Still looks great, especially the "smoked amethyst" paint color and has never spent a night in a garage. I like the fact that it is appraised for tax purposes at $1600, doesn't cost much to insure, and is unlikely to be stolen for a joy ride.

Favorite Features

Split front bench seat allows for three across, so six can be carried. The auto setting for the heater/AC gives you either 60 degrees or 65 degrees, but not in between.

Suggested Improvements

My 1986 Sable had cornering lights that came on with the turn signals at night, a stop watch feature on the clock and a few other niceties which were "decontented" for 1996.