1996 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
second Sable (ditto)
By second Sable (ditto) on 03/04/09 14:40 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Second Sable written 10-16-07 is identical to my own experience. Traded my 1986 for the 3 year old 1996. Love the Smoked Amethyst paint (but can't spell it?) but disappointed with the decontenting from 1986 model. No problems whatsoever, but I know a lot about treating and driving cars to insure long life. Also have a 1966 Corvette and 1975 Toyota - both bought new. The Sable is an excellent airport pickup car with six belted seating positions and huge trunk. Invisible to state troopers and thieves/vandals alike.

Used to be reliable
By Denise on 01/13/09 14:24 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in the middle of 2005 with less then 60,000 miles on it. Since I have had it I had to get the rear suspension replaces, brakes redone, I had the serpentine belt replaced and the whole airconditioning unit. Recently I had to have all the wiring replaced and a wk earlier the spark plugs replaced because the car refused to start and gasoline drenched everything. The engine light has been on forever and I have had the codes fixed everytime. In the summer it overheats if I am in town and I have had the whole cooling system serviced and nothing is even wrong with it. The interior has started to peel off and the paneling on the doors falls of, had it fixed but refuses to stay.

Very positive experience
By bjgreen on 01/02/09 22:28 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I owned this car cradle (~10k miles) to grave (117k miles) over the last 12 twelve years. It was a very reliable car up until the end. The fuel economy was also very good (28-29mpg in mostly freeway driving). The interior was very comfortable for my family of 5. But by current standards it lacks in the safety features department. This car never saw the inside of a garage, but the paint still looks great. In the end, a belt tensioner popped off on the freeway and I continued to drive the car - severely overheating the engine (definitely a bad idea on my part). Had it not been for this incident, I'm confident the engine would have gone at least another 50k miles.

Great car & still running strong at 117K
By Roger on 04/04/08 04:23 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car brand new as our main family vehicle. Twelve years & 117000 miles later, it still runs & looks like new. I have done all my own maintainence (oil & filter changes every 3000 miles, trans service every 40K). As a result the car has rewarded me with exceptional reliabiity. Only major repairs consisted of axle replacement at approximately 70K due to tearing of boots from encounter with higway debris & lower ball joints replacement due to potholed streets at 105K. This car is my main transportation to & from work. My wife drives a 2005 Five Hundred also purchased new & also being maintained very well with expectation it too will last over 10 years & over 100K miles.

Second Sable
By Sable owner on 10/16/07 14:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1986 Sable because it was part of the new wave of "jelly bean" styling from Ford. I kept it until 1999 and traded it for a used 1996 Sable. Now I have 76,000 miles on the 1996 and it runs fine. No expenses at all for repairs. 25 mpg and 7000 miles between oil changes. Still looks great, especially the "smoked amethyst" paint color and has never spent a night in a garage. I like the fact that it is appraised for tax purposes at $1600, doesn't cost much to insure, and is unlikely to be stolen for a joy ride.

Phoenix from Ashes
By Finkey Family on 04/23/07 14:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Sable G 4dr Sedan

We bought our Mercury Sable in poor shape, not really knowing, from a mechanically inclined co-worker. So we thought it was alright. Over the past five years, we replaced the "main brain", the engine, several fan, oil and fuel sensors, front and rear ball joints, power steering pump, serpentine belt and power steering cables, the battery and its cables, installed a good sound system, new tires, and rebuilt the trans. We just love our Mercury Sable 4-door sedan G anyway. It's a perfect family car and worth every penny put into it. We expect it to last for a long time to come.

Not in it for the long haul
By NIKKI on 03/27/07 22:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I'm reading through other reviews of this car and it seems that the transmission isn't reliable. Luckily I'm a little over 100k and I haven't had to replace the transmission, but I fear the time is nearing. My issue with the sable is the car has a propensity to run hot. I replaced the radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc a year ago. It all needs to be done again. NOT CHEAP. I don't know what the problem is but I know of other owners who've had the same problem.

Poor integrity
By Cienna on 01/29/07 17:52 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

Bought car used. Needed to refurbish transmission, and replace a couple of seat belts. Later realized that the indoor courtesy light didn't always turn off because the car thought a door was open, even thought it wasn't. 2 years later I had to get the transmission refurbished again. The seat belts twist and get stuck all the time. Finally ended up pulling out all the indoor courtesy bulbs to deal with light issue. Car doesn't have much pep, especially going uphill. Rear blade eventually stopped functioning as well as A/C. Stereo not working that great since 2005.

love it!!
By scott on 11/27/06 18:45 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I recently (11/2006) bought an LS with the 24 valve engine and 56,718 miles on it after 11 years. Also have a 97 cougar V6 but this 24 valve engine is fantastic. So far I love the car and the smoothness of the ride. It is easy to drive and has a large interior which is nicely appointed. The tires are a little small and the alloy wheels are boring. All in all a great car.

Great car
By PMD on 11/27/06 12:55 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

We use this car for any long trips across the country, because it has a nice 'highway feel'. We also almost always take this car to any nice event we attend, it has a quality look and feel to it. We've been very happy with the Mercury Sable, it's a nice sedan and comfortable to drive friends too.