1994 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Mom's Beater Renewed
By Tar171 on 06/21/08 17:21 PM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my mother with 140k as a hand me down. so I like say before I get into detail that my mother beats the crap out of cars. So now for my review. I have blown the stock head gasket on my car twice so I have since gotten some aftermarket heavy duty gaskets, new brake, exhaust, cooling, a/c, aftermarket stereo system, suspension, fuel injection system. Rebuilt 3.8 engine. Rebuilt transmission w/ upgrades for a total of about 10 grand. Since upgrades I've had a one slight problem with the temp gauge fluctuating but thats due to the fact thats its a 3.8 on a 3.0 cooling system (plans for aftermarket fan upgrade in works) other then that I have no more problems after 20,000 miles.

Very reliable, comfortable ride
By Stable Sable on 04/12/07 10:33 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for just over 4 years, I can say that it really is a winner. My secret was to buy if from a friend who maintained it superbly. She even had the door chime fixed when it went out! It has been very reliable, comfortable, and safe.

What a rip off
By uggghhh on 07/27/05 23:54 PM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I should have known not to buy the car when I saw it being fixed at the dealership. All these brand new things they put in the car, and some of them even caused MORE problems. I was back at the dealership 5 days into owning it because the belt broke (and 3 more times broke since then). I have replaced this and that, and things keep going.What a frustrating vehicle to own. stablizer bar has broken twice, muffler - gone, brakes need fixing constantly, shocks and struts, gone. you name it, its broken. right down to the spring to open the trunk. broken. oh, and the gas milage is a joke.

dont buy it too used
By musicman on 04/08/05 19:56 PM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Pretty decent car, problems with reliability though. Ford really needs to improve their transmissions. It was rebuilt by previous owner at about 75 K miles, I got it at 100K and within a month it needed to be rebuilt again. Expensive too, they wanted $1500 BASE to fix it. I got rid of it while I could. Don't bother buying it if it has very many miles on it.

Mecury Sables Are Lemons
By nj0216 on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I bought a car in 2000. It was only worth 3-4000, on the books. I have paid 11,700.00 so far to keep up the car. Mounts fall off, gase is guzzled down like a drink of water, electrical things do not work, just one problem after another.

I'm using it for a dog-house now
By wpolsen on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

After the transmission gave out at just 100,000 miles and the head gasket blew for the THIRD TIME, I'm finished. I can't even get anybody to buy this thing, and I wouldn't sell it to them anyway. The best use for this thing is to let it sit in the barn for the dogs to sleep in. STAY AWAY!!!

Expressions of Excellence
By Mespa on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Have been very pleased with this vehicle in all respects. I consider it to be an excellent family car.

Family Car with a solid feel
By GEORGIAPEACH on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Bought new, with less than 80k miles after 10 years, the car is heavy but still easy to maneuver. It is comfortable on long trips, and been very reliable until transmission problems at 75k miles. Rest of car still works fine, but if you need a transmission, suggest a reliable company, but not the dealership, which is more expensive

Peice Of Junk!!
By ClevelandDUDE on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Never buy a Ford or a mercury Sable, only if its the SHO model Ford Taurus. I bought my mercury sable about 3 years ago with 40,000 miles on it. It ran perfectly at first, than 10,000 miles later the transmissions went out on it. So now i bought a 1995 Ford Taurus SHO,I really enjoy it because the motor is made by Yamaha and the tranny is too. Believe me, if u want a headache and alot of stress than buy a Mercury Sable!!

94 Mercury Sable
By Sammyjos on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 100,000 miles through out my high school and college days. It was towed 3 times, went through 4 starters, 2 fuel pumps, and left me stranded twice. I wouldn't buy this vehicle if it has over 100,000 miles. Otherwise, it's a good car. The power is great, good pickup, and room on the inside is plentiful.