Used 1994 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

1994 Mercury Sable

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Good Car
By Stephanie

1994 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used with 89,000 miles on it. It now has 148,000 miles. I have had to get major repairs on the a/c and some bolts and things only twice, other than routine maintenance, (tires, oil changes etc. and replacing the battery twice in the past 7 years) I have had a very good experience with this car. When I bought it, it cost me $4,000. 00. It took $13.00 to fill the gas tank. Now it costs $35 to fill the gas tank. It is a good car to take on road trips. The sun has done a job on the hood paint.

Favorite Features

Reliable, low cost. The 6 cylinder engine does not eat transmissions and alternators like the 8 cylinder Thunderbirds I drove before did.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that Ford/Mercury come up with a better way to make the cloth on the inside of the roof adhere, make sure the cigarette lighters work properly, and make sure the power windows don't wear out. It is OK, but I bet that will be a problem soon.

Mom's Beater Renewed
By Tar171

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my mother with 140k as a hand me down. so I like say before I get into detail that my mother beats the crap out of cars. So now for my review. I have blown the stock head gasket on my car twice so I have since gotten some aftermarket heavy duty gaskets, new brake, exhaust, cooling, a/c, aftermarket stereo system, suspension, fuel injection system. Rebuilt 3.8 engine. Rebuilt transmission w/ upgrades for a total of about 10 grand. Since upgrades I've had a one slight problem with the temp gauge fluctuating but thats due to the fact thats its a 3.8 on a 3.0 cooling system (plans for aftermarket fan upgrade in works) other then that I have no more problems after 20,000 miles.

Favorite Features

A car that looks slow but in reality has great performance & handling Huge trunk space,seats are nice and soft, lots of space. Heat is hot enough to bake you out. Place for loose change

Suggested Improvements

Better placement of cupholders

Nanna's Sable
By Ben

1994 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Bought car from grandmother in '01 with 41k. Good riding car with good pickup. Have had transmission issues almost immediately, but have never had to replace. Engine still runs well at 122k, but burnt oil smell after 15 minutes of driving. I change the oil religiously every 3k. Annoying problem with driver's side door latch loosening and having to be re-tightened often. Had to replace radiator at 110k. Generally a good car.

Favorite Features

Comfort, pick up, good cruise

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, a/c has gotten weaker, door latch, head gasket?

Stable Sable
By ZMeek

1994 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

This car has been in the family since new, so I knew all of the history of it. It has always been fantastically reliable with minimal repairs in our 14 years of ownership. Got the head gasket fixed when the recall was announced so no problems there. Handles great, smooth ride, ok economy.

Favorite Features

I really liked the digital dash and climate control. Also the wagon had plenty of space for anything I needed. Quite reliable, always starts.

Suggested Improvements

Less easy to break plastic features, more head room.

Very reliable, comfortable ride
By Stable Sable

1994 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for just over 4 years, I can say that it really is a winner. My secret was to buy if from a friend who maintained it superbly. She even had the door chime fixed when it went out! It has been very reliable, comfortable, and safe.

Favorite Features

Visibility is super! The car handles well in most situations. It always starts, and has all the features that I really need.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration could be better. Also, the problem with poor factory alignment of the rear wheels really does cause rear tires to wear prematurely.