1993 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
One Hell of a motor 987K!!
By carman87015 on 01/01/11 19:19 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I just got it and the motor still works after 987,645 miles well kinda I bought it off a person I know for $100 and after 3 yeres i still was cranking but did not start one was the fact that the battery was tost but we had jumper cables hooked up and it cranked and cranked and another was the Fact that it was SITTING for THREE YERES i mean what car can start right up after that long and i had no coolent...ya but the transmisson finely went. and to let uall know how it got those miles was going to arazona and back to new mexico and thrught snow too

Get rid of it after 100,000 miles
By Lwood12 on 03/31/09 22:01 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 93 mercury sable used in 06' with 92,000 miles. I thought it had at least 100,000 more good miles on it since I have a 98 Buick Century with 350,000 miles on the original engine. Soon after buying the brake/shift lock jammed up on me and had to be replaced. After that, air conditioning unit, fuel pump, rear door lock wont work, alternator, check engine light started staying on, dash light bulbs burnt out, key ignition switch replaced. In the first 3 months of 2009 alone I have: replaced motor mounts, tie rods, window went out of track, and now a part in front of transmission which will run about $600. Stay away from this year Sable unless someone give you the car for free!!!!

What a mess!!!
By Bev on 02/18/06 15:17 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Car was owned by a little old lady. Have had nothing but ongoing problems since day one. Brakes failed three times, check battery light on constantly and radiator started to leak within two months of purchase. Have brought it back numerous times to dealer/mechanic but I refuse to put any more of my hard earned money into this horrendous pile. Can't wait to dump it. Nothing but a horror show.

fairly trustworthy
By Schaffer on 09/21/05 06:31 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

Bought this vehicle used with 140k its now about 260k body looks great, minor rust, on rocker panel on door. frame is fine have repaired average stuff dashboard lights are burned out making it neccasary to use over head intermittently to view at night. power steering pump and lines need help

my sable
By c on 08/06/05 20:31 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

i like the car. Mine never had mechanical troubles very comfortable and has a nice take off

Vadym's car
By vvadym on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from my mechanic after 1 owned. It had some minor accident before. Obviously the guy did some cleanup on it. In 4 months the radiator started to leak -- had to replace it. I use it a lot for driving into school (approx 40 mi/day), so I got around 113K now.The car performed excellent. Had no problems with AC. Indeed the flueds leak: replaced engine gasket, transmission gasket, and recently steering gear assly. Recently CV-joints started to clank on turns. A little bit slow to accelerate (old monny's car), but very smooth and comfortable. Roomy inside and in the trunk. Not a gas saver. But for its age performs decently.

Good Car
By chris L on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

It is a very good car. It is compfortable but the leather makes it a little hot or cold depending on the temprature when first getting in the car.

Great car for the money
By SableUser on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car fully loaded with 43000 mi, now has 89000. Done the usual maintenance, had to get the AC, left rear window fixed. Had no major problems until head gasket broke earlier this year. After fixed still has a lot of pick-up, performs great. Well made for a US car. Friend has similar car and has only run into problems with AC in 80000 miles.

Loved My Sable
By Very Satisfied on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Our Sable was a program car with 23k miles. We could go anywhere in that car, which being military happend quite often. Very roomy and comfortable. Excellent gas mileage My husband did all the seasonal maintenance and oil changes. Never had a problem. Was really impressed with its safety when a lady pulled out in front of us and made us T-bone her car. (totaled our Sable) The front end was pushed all the way to our dashboard The dashboard was intact and did not cave in on us. We were able to get out safely. I bought a Taurus thinking I was getting the same type car but have not been pleased with it. Wish I could find another 93 Sable!

DO NOT BUY A SABLE! Go with Japanese car
By synchrogyro on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

This car started going downhill ever since i bought it in december 2000. Check engine light always comes on, rear view mirror does not want to stay on, starter and alternator are going, sounds like jet liner, also, iwas driving down a smooth road and left passenger vent popped out of dashboard. leaks every fluid besides gas(at least not yet) rear stabilizer bar is shot, and the rear right window doesn't work. the car is nickel and dimeing me to death, you're better off getting a foreign car. AC doesn't work either.