Used 1992 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

1992 Mercury Sable

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Disappointed
By ersei

1992 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new at the end of 1991. Had several repairs, small and big right from the very beginning; spent a lot of money for these repairs. I take excellent care of the car; it is garaged. Very little cooperation from FORD, complaints were disregarded. I spoke with other owners of this 1992 model and about 7 out of 10 had similar problems. Even the manager of the Ford dealership told me his father has the same car and it is a LEMON. Now, I broke the glass of the front mirror, my fault, and they want $ 400.00 for a replacement! I am glad I found this site to vent my aggravation. I am driving for over 50 years, always using American cars, but my next car will be different.

Favorite Features

It is a pleasant car to ride, except see above.

Suggested Improvements

Much better quality control and responsiveness to customers' problems.

Excellent car
By Cheeto

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car for my mom when she was pregnant with me. This was 17 years ago, in Anchorage Alaska. The car spent 14 years in Alaska brutal weather. Now here in Georgia, I drive this car, as a teen I'm hard on it. The interior is still awesome, very comfortable. The exterior paint is still glossy and smooth. This car has never stopped working. I just took it in to the shop and had some maintenance (age and weather took its tool on the tranny gaskets and the spark plug wires and stuff) and the car showed no signs of stopping before the job was done. Now that the stuff is replaced, I can expect another 3-5 years out of it. Awesome car. Well built. Never fails. It's safe feeling as well

Favorite Features

Comfort of interior. Leg room for driver(im tall at 6') and I don't have to have the seat all the way back. Large trunk. Lots of metal up front. overall everything, is good

Suggested Improvements

I have the 3.0 engine. Maybe the 3.8 would of been a little more fun. Can't hold that against the car though, this engine has not stopped.

Underrated
By Tybert

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

My Ď92 Sable GS has the 3.8 Liter engine with the original head gasket and 90,000 miles on it. With good maintenance this car will last to at least 200,000 miles especially when old lady owned and old man care keep it going the last 15 years. Recently the hoses and brakes were replaced (age issues). It has a huge trunk that came in handy when I moved earlier this summer. This car has had a lot of negative reviews and I canít see that they are driving the same car. Donít abuse this car and it will last.

Favorite Features

The trunk, elbow room, size, radio controls on the dash, locking gas cap, cruse control, power of the 3.8, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't matter. it's been 15 years

Sable Wagon
By seabird2

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car to as a work car to do Marine Fiberglass work in 2003, as an alternative to a Chrysler Minivan. It doesn't have the room of the minivan, but the car gets better mileage and doesn't look like a soccer car. The car had 85k on it when purchased. It now has 132k. It had ALL of its original parts and it came with the 3.0 litre engine. There haven't been any problems with the engine except a water pump and the bearing on the A/C going bad. Otherwise it's been very dependable. The only other major draw backs are: the transmission (it now needs to be repaired), and the brakes (two sets of rear rotors, one set of new calipers). Otherwise, it's been a great car.

Favorite Features

Tailgate and third seat.

Good car
By rach

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Our family inherited this vehicle from my great-grandmother when she passed away. Ever since, the car has been very reliable and we have had very few problems with it since. The car drives excellent and is very reliable. In it's entire history, it has needed the fuel pump and tie rods replaced once, also the muffler needed to be replaced a total of two times. It's a little thirsty for gas but it drives well and is very dependable, especially during the winter months. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone who is searching for a great older car.