1992 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Disappointed
By ersei on 04/01/09 19:14 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new at the end of 1991. Had several repairs, small and big right from the very beginning; spent a lot of money for these repairs. I take excellent care of the car; it is garaged. Very little cooperation from FORD, complaints were disregarded. I spoke with other owners of this 1992 model and about 7 out of 10 had similar problems. Even the manager of the Ford dealership told me his father has the same car and it is a LEMON. Now, I broke the glass of the front mirror, my fault, and they want $ 400.00 for a replacement! I am glad I found this site to vent my aggravation. I am driving for over 50 years, always using American cars, but my next car will be different.

Excellent car
By Cheeto on 09/29/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car for my mom when she was pregnant with me. This was 17 years ago, in Anchorage Alaska. The car spent 14 years in Alaska brutal weather. Now here in Georgia, I drive this car, as a teen I'm hard on it. The interior is still awesome, very comfortable. The exterior paint is still glossy and smooth. This car has never stopped working. I just took it in to the shop and had some maintenance (age and weather took its tool on the tranny gaskets and the spark plug wires and stuff) and the car showed no signs of stopping before the job was done. Now that the stuff is replaced, I can expect another 3-5 years out of it. Awesome car. Well built. Never fails. It's safe feeling as well

Underrated
By Tybert on 08/15/07 14:35 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

My ‘92 Sable GS has the 3.8 Liter engine with the original head gasket and 90,000 miles on it. With good maintenance this car will last to at least 200,000 miles especially when old lady owned and old man care keep it going the last 15 years. Recently the hoses and brakes were replaced (age issues). It has a huge trunk that came in handy when I moved earlier this summer. This car has had a lot of negative reviews and I can’t see that they are driving the same car. Don’t abuse this car and it will last.

Sable Wagon
By seabird2 on 07/25/07 08:39 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car to as a work car to do Marine Fiberglass work in 2003, as an alternative to a Chrysler Minivan. It doesn't have the room of the minivan, but the car gets better mileage and doesn't look like a soccer car. The car had 85k on it when purchased. It now has 132k. It had ALL of its original parts and it came with the 3.0 litre engine. There haven't been any problems with the engine except a water pump and the bearing on the A/C going bad. Otherwise it's been very dependable. The only other major draw backs are: the transmission (it now needs to be repaired), and the brakes (two sets of rear rotors, one set of new calipers). Otherwise, it's been a great car.

Good car
By rach on 11/21/06 16:43 PM (PST)

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Our family inherited this vehicle from my great-grandmother when she passed away. Ever since, the car has been very reliable and we have had very few problems with it since. The car drives excellent and is very reliable. In it's entire history, it has needed the fuel pump and tie rods replaced once, also the muffler needed to be replaced a total of two times. It's a little thirsty for gas but it drives well and is very dependable, especially during the winter months. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone who is searching for a great older car.

what is my car worth
By Shelly Radford on 11/11/05 10:55 AM (PST)

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

The transmission went out in the car and I would like to sell it so I would like to know what it is worth. The car runs good otherwise and has been a good form of reliable transportation.

My Sable Review
By JayK on 06/29/05 14:16 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Sable with only 48000 miles on it. It now has over 130000 on the odometer. I used to drive 100 miles a day. After about 4 thousand dollars in repairs it runs and drives like new. New Trans., re-built engine, new suspension, new front end equipment. You name it, I replaced it.

ok SABLE LS WITH FAT LIGHTS!!!
By pop123 on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

My mercury sable has very little power! i push the pedal to the floor and a very slow and weak response!!! this car is a mistake!!!!!!! this car is too old for my age!!! cootish! the rear brake lights are too fat! my alternator belt squeaks when u first start the car or if you go through a puddle!!!! this car is a gas hogger! i love to floor it all the time! my AC cuts off when i floor the car!! some times my RPM reaches 5 1/2 out of 7

Love this car!
By tat700 on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

In the 10 years we've had this Sable (3.0 L engine) it's been very reliable and needed very few repairs (new radiator and ignition switch is about it, besides the normal brakes, oil changes ,etc.) Runs very smoothly and is a pleasure to drive.

Good value
By fxrer on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

Having owned a '86 Taurus, I appreciate the FoMoCo mid-size comfort, performance and value. When I bought this Sable GS, it had several small problems, but they were ALL described in Technical Service Bulletins (ALLDATA). The front struts made a popping noise at slow speed (solved by spacers); the car thunked on acceleration (solved by new front motor mount); the paint is faded on horizontal surfaces (sand & repaint); and igniton key sticks (ignored it). Once repaired, this car runs smoothly, engine and transmission are fine, all other itmes work well. Solid, safe, dependable car at an exceptional value. I anticipate another 100k plus miles.