1990 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Great Car- "The Eichmobile"
By Eichmobile on 11/02/08 16:25 PM (PST)

1990 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

A friend just inherited another vehicle from a family member, so he gave me his 1990 Sable, which was given to him by another mutual friend of ours when the same thing happened to her, and it was given to her by another family member when she went to Bible College in Chicago. So it is sort of a congregational heirloom? Well, I have only had the car for a week, and I already own an 03 Taurus, I actually like the old Sable over the Taurus. It has a fine Cadillac ride to it, and the motor runs like new. The transmission needs some TLC, which I will soon take care of. The paint job is shot, but I am hoping to fix that next year, if the car makes it through the brutal Iowa winter weather.

Was the best family car!
By Eve on 08/13/06 00:30 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Wagon

I've owned this car for 9 years now, bought it in 97 with 96,000 miles on it and used it a lot for camping trips through the years. At 240,000 miles now it just now started breaking down with major mechanics problems. It was THE most reliable car I ever owned. Recent mechanical works were: waterpump & thermostat, wheelbarrings, front & rear breaks & lines, starter, alternator, muffler sytem. Biggest issues now are catalytic converter, flywheel, power steering and fuel injector going out, but that after nearly 1/4 million miles and the car is 16 yrs. old. The paint job is gone and it has some rust by the doors. This car has never seen a garage in it's life. It was built to last and that it did.

Best Car Ever
By Medellin on 07/20/05 20:16 PM (PDT)

1990 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1990 Merc. Sable in May of '98 w/76K miles. After 7 years and 100k later the car runs like when i first bought it; EXCELLENT. I have performed the maintenance religiously (changed oil every 3K, etc.). The only things I have replaced on the car are the rack and pinion, front struts and new tires. The car has never broken down and it is the most reliable car that we have compared to our other cars who are always visiting the shop for repairs.

My Mercury Sable
By starsfn4eva on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

My sable is the first car that i have ever had. yes it is an older car but it is more durable than some of the newer cars. i have been in 3 wrecks since i got it and only the last two have done significant damage although only one of them was my fault.

Crap
By dustinyo on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

i had an '89 sable, but they're basically the same through '94 the head gasket went out at 90,000 miles transmission was completely shot at 110,000, after many months, and $1000's fixing it. do yourself a favor, avoid any Taurus/Sable prior to a '95 model.

Mecury Sable
By Adam Schmig on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

158,000 miles and still runs like new. not one mechincal problem except from normal wear and tear. custom made cold air intake realy gave it some power. easy to work on. expect to get another 50-100k.

Good Car
By SableMan on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

This is a good car and very reliable. I've had one other Sable, a 1991 Sable Wagon, and the only reason I had to get another was because it got totaled in an accident. The only bad thing about them is that it is true that around 100,000 miles the transmission goes out. This does pose a problem, but once you replace the tranny you can get a lot of use out of them.

Ford SUCKS
By Gargaxius on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercury Sable LS 4dr Sedan

Does Ford know how to make a car that's transmission doesn't crap out by design? Does Ford know how to make 3.8L engines that aren't so poorly designed that most all heads crack before 80k miles???

Excellent car if properly maintained
By Schwan on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan

I have driven my 1990 Sable GS from 68,000 up to 140,000 and it is still going strong. A/C, engine sensors, water pump, and fuel pump had to be replaced between 100,000 and 140,000 but these are minor expenses compared to the decline in value of a new car. Properly maintained, the engine, automatic transmission, and drive systems will continue to perform smoothly. I expect to keep this car for many more enjoyable miles.