1999 Mercury Mystique Consumer Review: 1999 Mercury Mystique GS

1999 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Review

GS Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

1999 Mercury Mystique GS
By janice99 on

1999 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new and it has 112,000 miles on it. We had to replace the timing belt at about 100,000 miles; I would recommend replacing it at 95,000 as a precaution because it will leave you stranded, as would ANY car with a timing belt, not just this one. Over all it is great, fun to drive and gets EXCELLENT gas mileage, 28 to 33 mpg in city or highway. The paint has peeled in a couple of places and on the grille but that is cosmetic only. We live in a snowy area and unless we get 2 feet (unusual) it handles well. My husband drives it to work nearly every day, 7 miles each way, mostly rural. I hope it lasts as long as our old '91 Tracer which had 315,000 miles when we sold it!

Lots of leg room in the front passenger side; maneuvers quickly thanks to standard transmission, large trunk capacity, cup holder in back at end of console; I love the wood-look trim around the instrument panel as it reminds me of my dad's '80 Lincoln. Love the power mirrors and cruise control, too.

For what this car is, I really can't think of any; it is not a high-priced sports car. Not fond of the radio, though; it is cheap & I'm thinking of replacing it. Would have been nice to have remote-entry like my daughter's Taurus.