1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:
tough little car
By nsellers on 02/08/13 20:49 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have a 99 mystique and it is probably the best car i have ever had. 130k miles. I bought it with 80k for 2,250 in 2009 its 2013 now and its still running strong. the only problems I have had was my alternator went out and its very hard to get to. my battery died about a month ago, my starter and o2 sensor is starting to go bad but things like that are expected. The only things i have a problem with is my front windows and sunroof don't work my brake light is out and blinkers are out. I've had car for about 4 yrs so $500 a yrs plus about $1k of repairs im very happy and will probably get another 1.

1999 Mercury Mystique GS
By janice99 on 02/04/11 08:54 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new and it has 112,000 miles on it. We had to replace the timing belt at about 100,000 miles; I would recommend replacing it at 95,000 as a precaution because it will leave you stranded, as would ANY car with a timing belt, not just this one. Over all it is great, fun to drive and gets EXCELLENT gas mileage, 28 to 33 mpg in city or highway. The paint has peeled in a couple of places and on the grille but that is cosmetic only. We live in a snowy area and unless we get 2 feet (unusual) it handles well. My husband drives it to work nearly every day, 7 miles each way, mostly rural. I hope it lasts as long as our old '91 Tracer which had 315,000 miles when we sold it!

Best Buy 2nd time for a mercury
By sassysandy on 01/31/11 16:37 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I had the topaz. tough good car. Bought the mystic with 12 miles on it, a demo. Loved the leg room, to me drove like an expensive car. It's 2011 and it's still in my driveway. Once it broke down, it was the battery. Buying a car alone as a women is scary, But I stuck with what I knew (Dad picked the topaz) and I did really good. I still love this car, still comfortable and drives very well. I'm over 90k miles now and concerned about the timing belt & cost I'm facing as any car owner would when reaching that milage. With my luck, I was blessed to get a great car with all the comforts of an expensive car. Everything except electric seats! very large trunk, love it not a stick

one thing after another!
By brian on 01/10/10 10:19 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car has been decent overall, but because of the style of the car- to get it fixed costs way more than it's worth. Since buying this car, I've replaced the transmission, 2 batteries, alternator, breaks, 2 sets of wheels, cat. Converter, and I'm in the process of having the starter reinstalled, and I was just called by the shop to tell me they're having trouble putting it in. Every time I need anything done with this car, I get that phone call. I paid 6k on this, and I've put at least 3k into getting it fixed.

Plastic junk
By Willie on 06/16/09 09:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Car had 20000 mi. on it when I bought it.Timing belt went out at 55000 mi.It now has 73000 mi. on it.I have had to replace:the A/C blower fan,Rear brake cylinders twice.horn quit working.Heat gauge quit working.Trunk lid won't stay up when open.They know me on a first name basis at the junk yard for getting parts so often.Hopefully I'll be trading it in soon.

timing belts costly
By jean on 05/12/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

We haven't had this car a year and it's had three timing belts put in talked to another guy who owns one he has had the same problem what's up

By philfranks on 03/18/09 21:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

My wife and I purchased this vehicle in 2004. The car has good interior and the exterior is nice too, it also handles very well and has plenty of power for a 4cyl, when its running that is. The car now has 80,000 miles and we have replaced three window motors and its broken again, the fan speed for the heat and air only works on hi or off, at 60,000 miles we had to have the a/c recharged, replaced a vacuum hose that has a small leak again, now the timing belt is broken. I am at the point now that I really don't want to spend any more money to fix it. I think its time to trade for a Chevrolet product.

Looks Can Be Deceiving
By Anthony Cardoza II on 04/08/08 01:49 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Car looks great. I should have researched this vehicle before I purchesed it. Car had 105000 miles on it, when I purchesed it. The car runs great, but the check engine light comes on all the time. So, far I had to change the thermostat and flush the cooling system as well as change the hoses. Its Catalyst Converter already needs to be changed. The rear defogger grid lines burn out to quickly. It averages about 21 mpg. It has some minor electrical issues. I sugest if you are interrested in purchesing this model, only do it if it has low miles. Oh, one more thing the regulator on the dirver side window has had to be replaced as well. So, in conclusion I guess thats not bad for a Ford product.

IDK
By hottdrummer on 03/19/08 16:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've had my Mercury Mystique for about 2 months now and I really really enjoy it. It's sporty but not too sporty. The power it has amazing (V6) and it is one great car. The only thing I don't like is the transmission slips. I got power but sometimes I can't use it all but to the rough idles and slips. I have a great system in the car and it really bangs. My friends love the car and I love it just as much.

No longer surprised...sigh
By DearAli on 02/13/08 12:14 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I've had more major repairs than I can count...and I've heard from multiple mechanics "That's only happened because of this model". Some repairs that were Mystique specific: timing- belt went at 108,000...supposed to last to 120,000, transmission rebuilt at 5 yrs due to the way the drive shaft kit (?) was made, complete brake system overhaul at 6 years, oxygen sensor issues ($600) at 8 years..the list goes on. The dash warping is ridiculous. can barely see over it now and the defroster only works if it's on full blast for 20 minutes. Overall, it gets me from here to there, & I can fit a lot, but it's not the high safety-rated car I thought, since i'm on the side of the road 2x a year.