Used 1999 Mercury Mystique Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:

tough little car
By nsellers

1999 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I have a 99 mystique and it is probably the best car i have ever had. 130k miles. I bought it with 80k for 2,250 in 2009 its 2013 now and its still running strong. the only problems I have had was my alternator went out and its very hard to get to. my battery died about a month ago, my starter and o2 sensor is starting to go bad but things like that are expected. The only things i have a problem with is my front windows and sunroof don't work my brake light is out and blinkers are out. I've had car for about 4 yrs so $500 a yrs plus about $1k of repairs im very happy and will probably get another 1.

1999 Mercury Mystique GS
By janice99

1999 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new and it has 112,000 miles on it. We had to replace the timing belt at about 100,000 miles; I would recommend replacing it at 95,000 as a precaution because it will leave you stranded, as would ANY car with a timing belt, not just this one. Over all it is great, fun to drive and gets EXCELLENT gas mileage, 28 to 33 mpg in city or highway. The paint has peeled in a couple of places and on the grille but that is cosmetic only. We live in a snowy area and unless we get 2 feet (unusual) it handles well. My husband drives it to work nearly every day, 7 miles each way, mostly rural. I hope it lasts as long as our old '91 Tracer which had 315,000 miles when we sold it!

Lots of leg room in the front passenger side; maneuvers quickly thanks to standard transmission, large trunk capacity, cup holder in back at end of console; I love the wood-look trim around the instrument panel as it reminds me of my dad's '80 Lincoln. Love the power mirrors and cruise control, too.

For what this car is, I really can't think of any; it is not a high-priced sports car. Not fond of the radio, though; it is cheap & I'm thinking of replacing it. Would have been nice to have remote-entry like my daughter's Taurus.

Best Buy 2nd time for a mercury
By sassysandy

1999 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I had the topaz. tough good car. Bought the mystic with 12 miles on it, a demo. Loved the leg room, to me drove like an expensive car. It's 2011 and it's still in my driveway. Once it broke down, it was the battery. Buying a car alone as a women is scary, But I stuck with what I knew (Dad picked the topaz) and I did really good. I still love this car, still comfortable and drives very well. I'm over 90k miles now and concerned about the timing belt & cost I'm facing as any car owner would when reaching that milage. With my luck, I was blessed to get a great car with all the comforts of an expensive car. Everything except electric seats! very large trunk, love it not a stick

Electric windows, cruise control

Make it again! an updated model same price range

one thing after another!
By brian

1999 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

This car has been decent overall, but because of the style of the car- to get it fixed costs way more than it's worth. Since buying this car, I've replaced the transmission, 2 batteries, alternator, breaks, 2 sets of wheels, cat. Converter, and I'm in the process of having the starter reinstalled, and I was just called by the shop to tell me they're having trouble putting it in. Every time I need anything done with this car, I get that phone call. I paid 6k on this, and I've put at least 3k into getting it fixed.

sunroof, leather is nice, the body of the car isn't terrible

since this car isn't made anymore - i think the best improvement possible was made.

Plastic junk
By Willie

1999 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

Car had 20000 mi. on it when I bought it.Timing belt went out at 55000 mi.It now has 73000 mi. on it.I have had to replace:the A/C blower fan,Rear brake cylinders twice.horn quit working.Heat gauge quit working.Trunk lid won't stay up when open.They know me on a first name basis at the junk yard for getting parts so often.Hopefully I'll be trading it in soon.

Body style looks pretty good.

The best improvement has already been made,"they quit making them"

• SUV