1998 Mercury Mystique Consumer Reviews 5

1998 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:
Please Don't Buy
By kdub198 on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new not knowing that Ford likes to make inferior brake rotors that tend to warp quickly. I had many problems with the car as soon as the warranty ran out. How convenient. I had to replace the break twice in 65K miles due to warped rotors (which can't be turned). The wheel cylinder sprung a leak the power steering pump leaked dry, plus all the recalls. Amazingly, I always had great service from all of the dealerships that I had to visit. The V6 is a must, but nowadays smaller engines do just as well and don't suck down the gas. Leather is nice if you don't live in Vegas. It's probably a good thing that ford discontinued the mystique.

jury still out...
By Anne1062 on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Mystique new. Since 98 I have had several recalls, problems with the AC leaking on the floor board runing the carpet beneath. Sensors, check engine lights etc.The plastic headlight covers fog over, a local company repaired them for 150. Something like that should be covered by mercury, for safty if nothing else. It soes effect your night vision. The grill had to be replaced due to pitting, they were suppose to put a silver one on and put a smoke color instead, said they no longer carried the silver!! Go figure!! HOWEVER, my favorite is the Transmission falling apart with only 60,000.!! I'm sure I am missing something.....

Mystique
By David Svetcov on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

The Leather Interior is a must, this car is as comfrortable is a BMW3 series. I liked it so much I would buy a used. I baught another Ford Contur SE Ford dropped the line. Too bad. A great vehicle. I would not rtecommend the 4 CYLINDER.

My toy
By Gara on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

Have this car for over 2 yrs. Bought it with 20k now has 50k. It's fully loaded V6 standard. Only one problem so far(replaced control arm). Reliability exceeded my expectations. Love the car and its performance and handling. Can't find better used V6 4 dr sedan with stick shift for the money (Audi, BMW or VW cost at least twice as much). Downside, dashboard fake wood is too cheap, worn leather on the steering wheel, fake handbrake boot leather and the way the engine stalls at revs when shifting. Interesting enough, in Europe Ford Mondeo(same as Contour/Mystique) was always rated way ahead of Accords and Camrys in any way.

My Car
By melijean on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I think that my car is great. I mean it looks cute, drives great, and it is very roomy for all my friends.

good car-bad dealership experiences
By HISPANIC MECHANIC on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my mystique with 17000 mi. it nows has 42000 mi. i like the handling and the smoothness of the engine. the seats are comfortable. THE WORST THING ABOUT OWNING THE CAR IS HAVING TO TAKE IT TO A FORD OR MERCURY DEALERSHIP. I HAD SPRING GUARDS INSTALLED ON THE FRONT STRUT (AS PART OF A RECALL) AND HAD TO RETURN TO THE DEALERSHIP BECAUSE THEY MADE A LOUD NOISE WHEN I DROVE OVER SPEED BUMPS. IT TOOK 8 VISIT AND THREE DIFFERENT DEALERSHIPS TO FINALLY FIX THE A/C WATER LEAK I HAD INSIDE THE CAR.

Nothing can compare!!
By love this car on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I have the 2.5L 6 cyl fully loaded. This car is fun to drive, handles well and has always been reliable. I was going to sell it this year (it only has 21000M) but I can't find a new car I like better (including the new Jag., Volvo, Beetle, Cougar). It is well worth holding on to especially since they quit making them - what a shame!

mystique is good
By j to tha lo on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

i like my mystique. it rides very well and is fun to drive. i love it's cherry red color.

1998 Mercury Mystique - A GREAT car!!!
By Wonderwall99 on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I am a new owner of a (used, obviously) 1998 Mercury Mystique LS... and though I've only had it for a short time I have fallen madly in love with it. It's sporty enough for my friends to envy and sensible and luxurious enough for my grandparents to want to purchase one of their own. I love the fact that it has a V6 engine in it, and it is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven in. I would definitely recommmend it to anyone looking to buy a used car.

1998 Mystique LS
By mikef on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this Mystique LS used. At that time it only had 17K miles, was still under warranty, and was loaded with every option except the moonroof. I now have 40K miles on the car and I am very pleased. The purchase price was $10,300 and I really doubt I could of found much more car for the money.