Used 1998 Mercury Mystique Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercury Mystique

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:

My first car
By nell523

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

When I first bought the car it only had about 80000 miles on it and I was only using it to commute to work and school. Within the first week of owning the car I had to buy a new battery because I was driving and the car shut off on me. In the end I think it was the alternator because this past summer I had to replace that when the car shut down on me at an intersection (btw I was 9 months pregnant with a small child in the back not the best experience.) Throughout my ownership I have had the routers done, the flywheel and starter replaced and the last thing was the alternator. In the end I donated the car I just didnt feel right selling it to someone with so many problems.

Favorite Features

With the V6 it had great speed. Pulled off really quick.

It lives up to its name..Mercury Mistake
By E

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it and now its at 113,000. I have mixed feelings about this car because it has lasted me this long and has great gas mileage but I've put in more then what I paid for in repairs. It's just constant little repairs that cost big bucks! And not to mention my transmission went out shortly over 100,000. It seems that once you hit 100,000 the car goes to crap. I know others who have had the same problem. I will never purchase a Mercury again even though I've heard the Mystique was the worst made model. I just don't trust Mercury

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats and smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for the backseats and over more quality and craftsmanship but into the car. Make it last longer than 100,000.

Amazing Car
By FastCars09

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I've never had to put a dollar into repairing this car. It is absolutely amazing, I love the fuel economy, the pick up, the interior. Everything is in such amazing shape, and I've had this car for three years now, its almost 10 years old, and it drives like it's brand new! I recommend this car to anyone who's a Mercury/Ford Fan. This is one of the best cars they have ever made.

I wouldn't buy another
By beg23

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 with 30,000 miles on it for about $4000. It is a nice looking car and it drives nice, but i have had problems with it. Although it drives well, it likes to lock up and cut off on me; this is due to the full pump problems (just like the ones in its sister car the ford contour) that can't be pin-pointed. I have also had to replace the brakes shortly after purchasing it. Recently, it has been eating gas, i've put about 1000 in repairs in it in the last year, and my transmission just died on me a few days ago! Im not happy with this car and i have only had it 2 years. I wouldn't reccommend it useless you know how to fix cars.

Favorite Features

Driver's side mini glove box, pretty good A/C, comfortable size for a teen, radio sounds good, body style is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be better quality in future American cars. Learn from Toyota, Honda, and Nissan!

165000 and still going good
By Howeld

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

Bought my car in 2004 with 62,000 miles on it for $3000. I have been driving it ever since. Just rolled over 165,000 and the car still runs just as good as when I got it. Along the way I've replaced an alternator, a set of rear shocks, and a belt pulley. Other than that just oil changes every 3000 and its good to go. Finally purchased a new primary car but I am keeping my Mercury until in dies.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable to drive, I have taken this car all over the place.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back seat and trunk release in car will not open trunk unless someone else is pulling up on trunk at the same time.