1998 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:
Truly european...
By maestro_mario on 01/04/06 19:41 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

What i mean is like a lot of european cars like Alfa or WV, When it works it's awesome. V6 acceleration, handling, ABS-less 4 disc braking, everything is there exept reliability. I didn't had problem with the man. transmission, power steering and radiator. Everything else broke; I even lost a wheel!(broken studs.) Biggest repetitive problems came from the front suspension and bearings. The instrument cluster PCB failed intermittently and the infamous plastic impeller of the water pump. Expensive ignition module broke at 60 miles, engine mounts, and one of the too many O2 sensors lit the "check engine" intermittently. Too bad for Ford, it could have been as good,even better than the Mazda 626

Second time around
By Ronnyboy on 01/02/05 13:37 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

This is my second MIGHTY MERCURY!!!!! I love these cars. Perfect size for everyday use. Great ride, handling, and power. First one was a 4- banger, this one is a 6, much better engine. Unfortunately, there is a SEVERE transmission problem with these things. Mine and a relative AND a friends all went around the same mileage. Still worth the $1000 to fix it tho:)

mystique, or trique
By masss29 on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

Man i thought this car was gonna be the bomb when i bought it, but it turned up to be a disaster. I paid 4000 dlls for it and i had to waste about 2200 more in the a.c., transmission, and several electric shorts that happened in the first 3 months that i had it. I gotta give it to the car that it was pretty fun to drive, because you could go about 100 and it wouldn't even tremble. But after about 3 months of 100 mph drives, the poor car ended up in the shop with damage of about 1500 dlls. if you want good advice, take it from me: never, if you can help it, buy a Mercury Mistique. it will cost you!!!!!!!!!!

A great car that his highly undervalued!
By mylespiper on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

98 Mercury Mystique bought w/ 82,000km in Dec. '02 and have driven it over 60,000km (38,000 miles). Interior - well-built, attractive - nothing worn, broken, or faded - after cleaning, interior looks new - no rattling due to solid constuction - excellent seats for comfortable long- term highway driving Exterior - not the sharpest car but overall is attractive - paint is durable and still shines Overall - car performs very well - plenty of power - great highway driving - sport-tuned suspension provides a smooth ride with little roll when turning Have not had one mech. problem with this car. Recommend to anyone looking for a reliable, comfortable vehicle

good economy car
By Fibbo on 07/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I personally like it, I have the 5 speed manual 2.5L V6 and it gets where its going.

Hate it
By Aramil on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car on auction with hi mileage 120K and for only $1500 I expected problems. But so far it seems that everytime I turn the key something else goes wrong. Right now I Have already doubled the ammount I payed for it in repairs and still have a transmission problem and oil leak I have to force my shifter to get it in gear and i have a short in the in the line for my turn signals and my AC has gone out.

Mystique or Mistake
By Paulyblues on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

This car and year had a lot of recalls. I have used this car for many trips and have driven it all over the place with no problems. I warm it up in the winter and make sure the oil is always changed regularly. While it is not powerful (4 cyl), it has always been reliable and has a pretty smooth ride.

Mistake
By Christy08 on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

Purchased car from dealer used as a fleet vehicle with 24K miles. Car ran great up until '03 with barely 90K miles transmission completely failed! Tranny man tells me "I see alot of these things with exactly same milage... transmission is full of weak parts" Had him put in used mystique tranny with 60K on it. Only got 12K more miles off it. Ford has lost me for good. I will stick to Honda/Toyota from now on.

Not Bad
By spudman on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

The car has nice amenities, but has been troublesome. It's been in the shop more times than most other cars I've owned. Though not a big car, it's not easy to park especially in reverse.

I'm enjoying it
By khankins on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I have had constant catalytic converter problems, however they are covered under manufacturer's warranty up to 75,000 miles. Good visibility. Love the sunroof that can open or pop up (moon roof) Roomy trunk.