Used 1998 Mercury Mystique Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:

My OK Car
By LBB

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 4cycl car from a private owner 4 years ago with 98,000 miles on it and now I currently have 161,000 miles on it. It has been a good little car, but I have had to put some work into it. The little things seem to be going wrong with it. When I got it I found the thermostat control sensor was messed up and it actually reads hotter than the engine is actually running. This last fall I had to replace the fuel regulator and now the car just stops running for no reason. The mechanic can't even figure it out. But I will keep on driving it because it is a good little car. It's fun to drive and cheap. Once it's dead I will probably go get another one.

I really like the handling. It's fun to drive.

It could be a little bigger all around.

Best car ever!!
By Mystique _owner

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2007 with only 12,000 miles and I've since doubled the miles. I purchased it from my godmother who didn't put a cent in the car, other than changing the oil every 3K miles. I love, love, LOVE the car! Although it's not a hot rod, nor one that will turn heads, it is the best car I've driven and the most reliable. It's very comfortable to drive and has amazing pick up! I've only had to change the battery since it was original - over 11 years old. I recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a modest and reliable ride with decent gas mileage.

Comfortable & electronic seats, awesome pick up, easy to park

No suggested improvements - perfect as is

great and reliable car
By me

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it was 1 year old and had 30,000 miles on it. It is running as good as it did 10 years ago. I have had a few repairs on it - like the alternator and transmission. It has been very reliable for me, and I would buy one again if they were still made!

The good gas mileage! The good gas mileage!

The cup holders on the console could have been placed better. They are difficult to reach.

My Mystique Surprise
By Fox8

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

My Mystique surprised me with its driveability. Handling is very good, Zetec 16V is responsive and fun to drive. Economy at 70 MPH measured on odometer is 38 MPG. I got this result 3 X. Five speed manual is a very good shifter. Shifter has alot of feel and is fun to drive. This car out handles my daughters 2008 Fusion. I dont know why Ford stopped production, except that it was to expensive and to small compared with the Taurus. I have driven the Taurus (2005). Mystique is far superior in most respects. This is another European Ford that was not appreciated by Americans. Too bad.

Anonymous looking...a BLAST to drive
By goggomobil

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

4 cyl Zetec with the CD4E automatic trans. Looking for a small but not cramped car, We chose a red Mystique. Although the styling isn't avant-garde, it is still an attractive car. The car had 108K miles when I test drove it. In spite of this, it was tight and was as devoid of squeaks and rattles as one could expect. What impressed me right away was how well it held the road. I took it around the perimeter of the GM Proving Grounds, got it up to about 55 mph and YANKED on the wheel, serpentine fashion. This car was absolutely stuck to the pavement. It is kinda light on horsepower, but it's the best everyday 4 door car I have ever driven.

Outstanding road handling, reliable drivetrain, 30+ mpg highway, good ergonomics. Interior hardware has held up well although rear doors squeak upon opening.

Ford would have had a memorable, sought-after car if they had wrung out small problems with this car early on. Transmission filter and PCV valve require major dismantling for service. Headlights hazed badly. Oil filter access difficult. Minor electrical problems due to cheapo 3rd party hardware.