1998 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:
It lives up to its name..Mercury Mistake
By E on 02/20/09 11:57 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it and now its at 113,000. I have mixed feelings about this car because it has lasted me this long and has great gas mileage but I've put in more then what I paid for in repairs. It's just constant little repairs that cost big bucks! And not to mention my transmission went out shortly over 100,000. It seems that once you hit 100,000 the car goes to crap. I know others who have had the same problem. I will never purchase a Mercury again even though I've heard the Mystique was the worst made model. I just don't trust Mercury

Amazing Car
By FastCars09 on 12/14/08 13:42 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I've never had to put a dollar into repairing this car. It is absolutely amazing, I love the fuel economy, the pick up, the interior. Everything is in such amazing shape, and I've had this car for three years now, its almost 10 years old, and it drives like it's brand new! I recommend this car to anyone who's a Mercury/Ford Fan. This is one of the best cars they have ever made.

I wouldn't buy another
By beg23 on 10/18/08 13:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 with 30,000 miles on it for about $4000. It is a nice looking car and it drives nice, but i have had problems with it. Although it drives well, it likes to lock up and cut off on me; this is due to the full pump problems (just like the ones in its sister car the ford contour) that can't be pin-pointed. I have also had to replace the brakes shortly after purchasing it. Recently, it has been eating gas, i've put about 1000 in repairs in it in the last year, and my transmission just died on me a few days ago! Im not happy with this car and i have only had it 2 years. I wouldn't reccommend it useless you know how to fix cars.

165000 and still going good
By Howeld on 07/28/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

Bought my car in 2004 with 62,000 miles on it for $3000. I have been driving it ever since. Just rolled over 165,000 and the car still runs just as good as when I got it. Along the way I've replaced an alternator, a set of rear shocks, and a belt pulley. Other than that just oil changes every 3000 and its good to go. Finally purchased a new primary car but I am keeping my Mercury until in dies.

Excellent car to own
By PJM on 04/19/08 00:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car brand new and now more then 10 years later, I am as pleased with my car as the day I bought. This has been the best car I have ever bought. I highly recommend it.

Reliable Car
By no-mistakin mystique on 11/11/07 18:10 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

4cyl GS. Had to write a positive review after reading many of the others. Bought the car in 2002 with 40000, and so far has far outlasted my expectations. After 187,000 miles, this car is running great. I have changed 2 water pumps, 1 timing belt, 1 thermostat, and 1 blinker switch. For the money, this is the best car I have ever owned. Changed oil every 5k and Tranny fluid every 30K. Follow the recommended service items and problems should be minimal. Granted, I dont get any double-takes from the ladies here, but for everyday transportation, it has been great.

Great Little Car
By soccertaz on 09/11/07 13:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new, have taken good care of it for the most part. It has had a lot of recalls, but they were little things and didn't take the dealership long to take care of them. I have had little problems with the car, had to have the AC redone, only have replaced the front brakes twice, and am currently having the back brakes done too, which isn't a necessity yet, but thought it was time to do it since the front ones needed new pads. I have found it is great in the snow, I have done better with it than people that own trucks. It is one of the best cars I have had and/or driven in my life. I have heard it called the "Mistake", but so far it hasn't been one for me.

This Car Is the "Mercury MISTAKE"
By Chris on 02/17/07 15:45 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

My LS Mystique (Mistake)has been nothing but a problem from the beginning. The transmission was replaced before the car was even three years old. The original paint job began to crack at less than three years and had to be repainted. The dealer installed premium 6 disc CD changer and premium speakers have had excessive mechanical difficulties. The list of constant repairs has been going on from the beginning. I will never buy a Mercury again and for that matter will never buy an American car again. I will most certainly be buying a Toyota for my next vehicle.

Excellent in V6 manual
By Fibbo on 11/03/06 11:18 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive, great handling and acceleration for its price. Only cons are, gas mileage isn't great and fifth gear revs pretty high in highway driving (adds to fuel economy problem). Also the front cup holders are poorly designed. Wheel bearing problem around 100,000km was the only big repair.

1998 Mercury Mystique
By Fred on 06/24/06 05:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

It's been a real good car. A lot of bang for your buck. Very few repairs brakes, rotors,alternator, belt, wiper blades, oil & filter change. Just been a darn good car - crosses fingers.