1998 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:
RIP MysTAKE
By kij1989 on 09/28/12 07:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 98 Mystique GS two years ago for 1,800, with 86K on it. Since then, must have put 3K worth of repairs into it. The interior lights would fall down when driving. Headlights were awfully dim, replaced them and made a slight difference, but with the fogginess of the plastic what do you expect? Brakes were replaced and still were .. clunky when stopping. Next was the transmission! Oh boy, that went at 100K, got it replaced for the amount I paid for the car. About 2 months ago, it started an awful rattling noise when starting up the car, and when the A/C was on. Took it to my mechanic thinking it was the compressor, turns out it was the engine. Im sure theres more, but never AGAIN!

Nothing to get excited about
By ryanf02 on 07/25/12 07:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my mystique sport when I got my licence 5 years ago. I bought it around 70k miles and now it has just over 100k. All I can really say is you get what you pay for. It's spent its fair share of time in the shop and I wouldn't really rely on it more than I have to to take an extended trip over a couple hours. That being said it was in an accident that I'm sure rattled some parts, causing some of the problems I've had. It can be somewhat fun to drive, although it's by no means a particuarly fast car. The sunroof leaks (directly on my crotch) and I've had the overhead cabin lights just completely fall out. Not the worst 1st car, but I'm looking to trade up asap

Meh
By Buddi on 06/09/10 19:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

My parents got this car for my sister when she was 17 as a first car. The first day she drove it, when she drove faster than 45 the car started to buck, the transmission was slipping. We've put more money into this car then we paid for it. Now I'm 17 (she's almost 21 now) and it's mine now. Not too fun to drive, it's very jerky when changing gears and it's really uncomfortable. My dad and I drove about an hour in it and we got out numb. After fixing it up a bit, she's running pretty good, but we still call it the Mercury "Mistake" because it is pretty much fail. The trunk for some reason floods when I open it up after it rains

mercury let me down
By b_santiagoo on 05/23/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

this was my first car it had 90k at the beginning. I drove it all over the place and still do. It's alright in the gas i have to fill it up every 5 days (i drive the car a lot) but i have done a lot of repairs in the past 4 years, timing belt, water pump , brakes, battery has been replaced. It all happened in the past 4 years. It has 160 k check engine light came on don't think is worth fixing it, also air bag light came up 2. Ive invested so much $$$ in this car when is totally not worth it, it has last this long just because of the repairs. Back seats are uncomfortable. times are hard and had no option to repair it. best advice don't buy it!

My OK Car
By LBB on 05/12/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 4cycl car from a private owner 4 years ago with 98,000 miles on it and now I currently have 161,000 miles on it. It has been a good little car, but I have had to put some work into it. The little things seem to be going wrong with it. When I got it I found the thermostat control sensor was messed up and it actually reads hotter than the engine is actually running. This last fall I had to replace the fuel regulator and now the car just stops running for no reason. The mechanic can't even figure it out. But I will keep on driving it because it is a good little car. It's fun to drive and cheap. Once it's dead I will probably go get another one.

great and reliable car
By me on 12/12/09 11:44 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it was 1 year old and had 30,000 miles on it. It is running as good as it did 10 years ago. I have had a few repairs on it - like the alternator and transmission. It has been very reliable for me, and I would buy one again if they were still made!

My Mystique Surprise
By Fox8 on 11/29/09 06:12 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

My Mystique surprised me with its driveability. Handling is very good, Zetec 16V is responsive and fun to drive. Economy at 70 MPH measured on odometer is 38 MPG. I got this result 3 X. Five speed manual is a very good shifter. Shifter has alot of feel and is fun to drive. This car out handles my daughters 2008 Fusion. I dont know why Ford stopped production, except that it was to expensive and to small compared with the Taurus. I have driven the Taurus (2005). Mystique is far superior in most respects. This is another European Ford that was not appreciated by Americans. Too bad.

It lives up to its name..Mercury Mistake
By E on 02/20/09 11:57 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it and now its at 113,000. I have mixed feelings about this car because it has lasted me this long and has great gas mileage but I've put in more then what I paid for in repairs. It's just constant little repairs that cost big bucks! And not to mention my transmission went out shortly over 100,000. It seems that once you hit 100,000 the car goes to crap. I know others who have had the same problem. I will never purchase a Mercury again even though I've heard the Mystique was the worst made model. I just don't trust Mercury

I wouldn't buy another
By beg23 on 10/18/08 13:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2006 with 30,000 miles on it for about $4000. It is a nice looking car and it drives nice, but i have had problems with it. Although it drives well, it likes to lock up and cut off on me; this is due to the full pump problems (just like the ones in its sister car the ford contour) that can't be pin-pointed. I have also had to replace the brakes shortly after purchasing it. Recently, it has been eating gas, i've put about 1000 in repairs in it in the last year, and my transmission just died on me a few days ago! Im not happy with this car and i have only had it 2 years. I wouldn't reccommend it useless you know how to fix cars.

165000 and still going good
By Howeld on 07/28/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

Bought my car in 2004 with 62,000 miles on it for $3000. I have been driving it ever since. Just rolled over 165,000 and the car still runs just as good as when I got it. Along the way I've replaced an alternator, a set of rear shocks, and a belt pulley. Other than that just oil changes every 3000 and its good to go. Finally purchased a new primary car but I am keeping my Mercury until in dies.