1998 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:
RIP MysTAKE
By kij1989 on 09/28/12 07:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 98 Mystique GS two years ago for 1,800, with 86K on it. Since then, must have put 3K worth of repairs into it. The interior lights would fall down when driving. Headlights were awfully dim, replaced them and made a slight difference, but with the fogginess of the plastic what do you expect? Brakes were replaced and still were .. clunky when stopping. Next was the transmission! Oh boy, that went at 100K, got it replaced for the amount I paid for the car. About 2 months ago, it started an awful rattling noise when starting up the car, and when the A/C was on. Took it to my mechanic thinking it was the compressor, turns out it was the engine. Im sure theres more, but never AGAIN!

Nothing to get excited about
By ryanf02 on 07/25/12 07:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my mystique sport when I got my licence 5 years ago. I bought it around 70k miles and now it has just over 100k. All I can really say is you get what you pay for. It's spent its fair share of time in the shop and I wouldn't really rely on it more than I have to to take an extended trip over a couple hours. That being said it was in an accident that I'm sure rattled some parts, causing some of the problems I've had. It can be somewhat fun to drive, although it's by no means a particuarly fast car. The sunroof leaks (directly on my crotch) and I've had the overhead cabin lights just completely fall out. Not the worst 1st car, but I'm looking to trade up asap

Meh
By Buddi on 06/09/10 19:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

My parents got this car for my sister when she was 17 as a first car. The first day she drove it, when she drove faster than 45 the car started to buck, the transmission was slipping. We've put more money into this car then we paid for it. Now I'm 17 (she's almost 21 now) and it's mine now. Not too fun to drive, it's very jerky when changing gears and it's really uncomfortable. My dad and I drove about an hour in it and we got out numb. After fixing it up a bit, she's running pretty good, but we still call it the Mercury "Mistake" because it is pretty much fail. The trunk for some reason floods when I open it up after it rains

mercury let me down
By b_santiagoo on 05/23/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

this was my first car it had 90k at the beginning. I drove it all over the place and still do. It's alright in the gas i have to fill it up every 5 days (i drive the car a lot) but i have done a lot of repairs in the past 4 years, timing belt, water pump , brakes, battery has been replaced. It all happened in the past 4 years. It has 160 k check engine light came on don't think is worth fixing it, also air bag light came up 2. Ive invested so much $$$ in this car when is totally not worth it, it has last this long just because of the repairs. Back seats are uncomfortable. times are hard and had no option to repair it. best advice don't buy it!

My OK Car
By LBB on 05/12/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 4cycl car from a private owner 4 years ago with 98,000 miles on it and now I currently have 161,000 miles on it. It has been a good little car, but I have had to put some work into it. The little things seem to be going wrong with it. When I got it I found the thermostat control sensor was messed up and it actually reads hotter than the engine is actually running. This last fall I had to replace the fuel regulator and now the car just stops running for no reason. The mechanic can't even figure it out. But I will keep on driving it because it is a good little car. It's fun to drive and cheap. Once it's dead I will probably go get another one.

Best car ever!!
By Mystique _owner on 01/15/10 06:11 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2007 with only 12,000 miles and I've since doubled the miles. I purchased it from my godmother who didn't put a cent in the car, other than changing the oil every 3K miles. I love, love, LOVE the car! Although it's not a hot rod, nor one that will turn heads, it is the best car I've driven and the most reliable. It's very comfortable to drive and has amazing pick up! I've only had to change the battery since it was original - over 11 years old. I recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a modest and reliable ride with decent gas mileage.

great and reliable car
By me on 12/12/09 11:44 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it was 1 year old and had 30,000 miles on it. It is running as good as it did 10 years ago. I have had a few repairs on it - like the alternator and transmission. It has been very reliable for me, and I would buy one again if they were still made!

My Mystique Surprise
By Fox8 on 11/29/09 06:12 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

My Mystique surprised me with its driveability. Handling is very good, Zetec 16V is responsive and fun to drive. Economy at 70 MPH measured on odometer is 38 MPG. I got this result 3 X. Five speed manual is a very good shifter. Shifter has alot of feel and is fun to drive. This car out handles my daughters 2008 Fusion. I dont know why Ford stopped production, except that it was to expensive and to small compared with the Taurus. I have driven the Taurus (2005). Mystique is far superior in most respects. This is another European Ford that was not appreciated by Americans. Too bad.

Anonymous looking...a BLAST to drive
By goggomobil on 11/20/09 21:26 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

4 cyl Zetec with the CD4E automatic trans. Looking for a small but not cramped car, We chose a red Mystique. Although the styling isn't avant-garde, it is still an attractive car. The car had 108K miles when I test drove it. In spite of this, it was tight and was as devoid of squeaks and rattles as one could expect. What impressed me right away was how well it held the road. I took it around the perimeter of the GM Proving Grounds, got it up to about 55 mph and YANKED on the wheel, serpentine fashion. This car was absolutely stuck to the pavement. It is kinda light on horsepower, but it's the best everyday 4 door car I have ever driven.

My first car
By nell523 on 11/12/09 14:11 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

When I first bought the car it only had about 80000 miles on it and I was only using it to commute to work and school. Within the first week of owning the car I had to buy a new battery because I was driving and the car shut off on me. In the end I think it was the alternator because this past summer I had to replace that when the car shut down on me at an intersection (btw I was 9 months pregnant with a small child in the back not the best experience.) Throughout my ownership I have had the routers done, the flywheel and starter replaced and the last thing was the alternator. In the end I donated the car I just didnt feel right selling it to someone with so many problems.