1996 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:
good car good buy
By wisconsin on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

this has been a very dependable car for me. it has never needed anything other than tires and brakes and now has 91000 miles on it. there have been several piddly recalls that ford has taken care of. on the down side, the trunk seals leak and the taillights would fill up with water until i drilled holes in the bottom of them. but overall, probably the most dependable cheapest to keep car i have owned. Let's me carry obscenely large items in trunk.

Will be sad to see it go.
By midcoastme on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

This has been a comfortable, mostly reliable vehicle. Main repairs: front wheel bearing, heater hoses, MAF sensor. Currently has 97000 miles, averages 28.9 mpg overall, not bad for an automatic. Lack of decent cupholders prevents a 10 for interior design. Will be sad to see it leave the driveway for the last time.

Great car to own
By mystique fever on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for 3 years with not one problem. It's comfortable, gets GREAT gas mileage(28 in town and 37 on the interstate) has good acceleration, sporty 4 door car. I have the 4 cylinder with the 5 speed manual and I love it. I would buy another one in a second. I highly recommend them. I have heard bad things about the automatic transmission though so I'd stay clear of the automatics.

Buyer beware
By dismayed on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

The car has a decent, engine, and usually good accelaration. Auto Transmission is bad. Handling and comfort was okay. Interior looks cheap, and car has many recalls. I is probably good that they took this car of the market. Just coming out of college and buying this car, I spent thousands of dollars on repairs I could not afford, and jobless ecomony that doesn't help. I will not buy a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, or Mazda etc for a long time. Buyers look elsewhere.!!!

Discontinued For A Reason #2
By jon_k on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

This car is a money pit. I will agree that it is fun to drive, but that's all of the positive experience I have had. I was skeptical about Ford products before purchasing this car and now I know why. This car has been in the shop way too many times for recalls and repairs. The latest issue is a flashing transmission overdrive light at 105k miles. It will cost $1200 to repair it or about $2000 for a new transmission. This car is completely unreliable and not worthy of spending good money to repair. I have done my part in keeping up with the maintenance schedule, but this car has failed me time and time again.

Get an extended warrenty!
By Doug2 on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

Car had lots of little problems, including about 4 factory recalls. Once we hit 80K miles, the whole thing started to fall apart. We had the timing belt replaced twice, and something is making noise again. Was reliable but now I don't trust it. Many of the plastic panels, etc. have fallen off the interior, although it is only slightly noticable. Front power window motors both broke around 75-80K miles.

Under appreciated
By flyzone on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

This is one of the most underrated, most fun to drive cars out there. A sleeper and performance car in sheeps clothing. Ford just didn't know what they had (or the market didn't) - poor marketing. Paint and corrosion are great. Mine has been outside for 6 years; still looks great. Seats are super; locks you in. A real drivers car. I bought two!

This Model Was Discontinued For A Reason
By REESE on 03/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

There are too many expensive repair issues associated with this model which explains why Ford has discontinued it. Such as Transmission (twice, faulty headlight switch, faulty air-conditioner blower switch, faulty Catalytic Converter, (the new one failed six months later), Interior lamps (multiple times), the clock, tie-rods end, power steering pressure line, rack & pinion and for the 2nd time a problem causing the vehicle to shut off whenever you slow the car to idle.

Sport Sedan
By berne1 on 03/15/02 23:32 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

As an import die-hard, I have to say I am very impressed by this car. We bought almost new, with 7000 miles. Repairs so far have been front sway bar, front wheel bearings. Replaced the battery at 80K. That's it! This has been a VERY reliable car. It has every option except ABS. This was originally my wife's car. Had it been mine, I would have chosen ABS rather than the automatic.

Fun to drive family sedan!
By Contique96 on 03/07/02 10:04 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

We've owned this car for nearly 4 years, and it is still a joy to get behind the wheel. Our Mystique is a 5-spd. with a V-6, the only way to go! Zippy mid-sized sedan with true European handling. Fun, fun, fun! Oh, did I mention that it's comfortable (all the extras, most were standard) and has a smooth ride. Fold-down rear seat and 4-doors gives this "sports car" a true family angle -- rare for any car to be both fun to drive AND a family sedan.