1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:
would NEVER own another!
By Tim on 09/03/09 19:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

My 96 has cost me over $8,000 to fix! Includes transmission, engine, timing belt pulleys, and cv joints! If you want to buy a new car, stay away from mystiques.

My MISTAKE
By burnedbymystique on 03/12/09 18:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

When it runs, it is a pretty cool car to drive. I have had more problems with this car. I bought it in '06. In '07 I had to have the transmission rebuilt. In '08, I replaced the engine. This year, I have had to fix both timing tension pulleys, the valve gasket, and the cam. Iliked the car when I bought it. Now I hate it.

Super Mystique
By nancib on 10/02/08 09:49 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car used in 2002, have driven it everyday approx. 30 miles per day since that time. I love it, no major defects,no problems. It's beginning to have things wear out, but that's to be expected. Wish I had another as good as this one has been.

awesome car
By realtexan24 on 04/28/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Overall this has been an awesome car I know I just got it and I got it in a poor state and I still have a lot of work to do but, so far it's been relativaly easy to work on and parts are fairly priced.

Don't Buy One
By Mary on 02/10/07 20:43 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I have only had this car for a year and it has been in the garage more than i have driven it. Everything that could possibly go wrong with a car goes wrong with this thing. The transmission is going for the second time and i just had it replaced not too long ago. So if you don't have money to waste don't buy this because it sure takes a lot of money to keep this on the road. it is the WORST car i have ever owned and i will never buy another ford.

A sharp buy
By George on 05/30/06 11:07 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I now have 128,000 miles on my 24 valve 2.5 V-6 engine and since this car and engine were made by mazda they have been very reliable. This car drives like a more expensive car and holds the road as if riding on train tracks. Great acceleration combined by good fuel economy + above average construction. Very tight car which i intend to drive into the ground.

Wouldn't buy another
By TamiJohansen on 07/18/05 16:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

its nice and fun to drive. the overall design is great.. when it comes to engines its not a very good car.. i bought the car for 7K about 5-6 years ago and have had to invest in repairs more than what i purchased it for... I should have just bought a brand new car for 14K... would have lasted longer and the engine is a hot engine so the transmission is going on me for the second time.. i would only recommend this car for people that are willing to fix it...

take care of it and it just keep running
By mysticdream96 on 03/17/05 15:28 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

i absolutely love this car its great on gas milage 29/37, its a great little city car and i love the trunk space i dont really mind the rear seat because its just me and my wife, the exterior of the car looks great, i love the glove box next to the steering columm, all this car needs in my mind is a sunroof, besides the electrical system wich after nine years this is the first time i've heard of this "on my car anyways" this car is top notch

Comfort but Unreliable
By rockknocker on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought used for daughter and she drove it for(6)years 30k miles. Very good fuel economy,30+ mpg. Car had some neglect, ran out of oil and driven 300+ miles until engine seized, then with only two quarts of oil it was driven another 200 miles. With 90K miles engine runs fine and does not burn oil! A very comfortable car. Repairs: Auto transmission-$1800, CV Joints, ball joints, brakes twice, front wheel bearing, rear slave cyl., two shift cables, replaced power antenna, power door motor, backup light trim seals leaked into trunk. Seems like a lot of repairs, but in all honesty, some could be related to a side impact/car wreck.

Now I understand the joke about Fords
By rebecca.shrode@bovis on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Mystique Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car was very reliable until I got a recall w/ a valve that has to do with emissions. It just constantly broke down every other month. I dumped about $6,700 into it until I got fed up and bought a new car. That by the way is a Pontiac. This was absolutely the worst car I ever owned and I owned 3 before this one. I always buy used and never experienced so many problems as this car had. It was a LEMON!!!!!!!!!