Used 2008 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercury Mountaineer SUV

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Beautiful gas hog :-)
By Dennis

2008 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

My all wheel drive 2008 Mountaineer with the chrome package and tow package is great I have absolutely no complaints very little repairs and handles well but very difficult to drive in the city and get over 7 miles a gallon highway mileage is better but I'm glad gas at the moment is down to two to $3 a gallon!!

TERRIFYING TO DRIVE
By mercuryhater

2008 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Oh my god how could a car be so bad. Bought used in early 2011 with 34,000 miles around 65,000 miles it was leaking transmission fluid everywhere took it the best transmission mechanic in the area they sucked they charged us 3 grand for a rebuilt transmission.at 75,000 the trans started clunking when down shifting it was bad then the check engine light and a wrench (which means power train malfunction came on took it back it
needs a new solenoid pack it was there for over a month not exaggerating a month took it home it did the same thing took it back and the solenoid was defective then replaced a rod in there too.In 2014 we traded for a beautiful Subaru Tribeca.

This is a continuation of problems from above because i ran out of space. car was almost driven through the garage in reverse because it went in to drive took 20 minutes to get it to work. at high speeds on a main road the brakes wouldn't work we thought we were going to die. some times the car wouldn't come out of park. also it got locked in fifth gear then downshifted hard and flared in to the 5000 range for rpms the center console always squeaked it died 8 times on the highway because of fuel filter. the car was also very slow and the engine sounded awful the 3.6 in our new Subaru is amazing and shifts so smooth i really forgot what a well put together vehicle felt like after 3 years

Discontinue all fords for good German engineering is so much better buy a audi a8 i bet you will have less problems

My third mountaineer and it's a lemon!
By defectivemntnr

2008 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Does Ford Motor Co care about losing a loyal customer?In my case the answer is no, not at all.I leased a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer 11/07,our third one.It was fine until 4/09 when it didn't start one day.Then it began to happen more frequently.My family ha been stranded countless times due to this problem. After several attempts at Ford Lincoln Mercury dealerships to fix the problem it still exists.The alternator,starter bad relay and battery have all been replaced yet several times a week I am left stranded somewhere with this defective vehicle that won't start.I have been in communication with the Ford Cust. Solutions team through two courses of repairs,a Special Ford Engineer was even sent

Smooth ride, great pick-up, ample seating space. Seat heaters and third- row splits 60/40 and also folds with the push of a button. Mid-size SUV.

Aside from the fact that it won't start randomly daily or weekly; the gas mileage is poor and when driving through puddles, the water splashes up from the front wheels onto the windshield!

Love the SUV, but poor interior quality
By Ron

2008 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We love the room, the ride, the v8 power, the appearance, and we know from the past that we will love the AWD. The MPG is acceptable for an AWD mid-size SUV. We test drove the vehicle on a bright sunny day 98 F and heard no rattles or noises, but took delivery in the evening after sundown, temp 71F. On the way home the upper console started making an annoying noise when we hit seams in the road. We made 2 visits to fix the problem. Another Mountaineer that hadn't been prepped did the same thing, as did the 08 Explorer Rental. Service manager said that if more than 2 do the same, then Ford would say they're built that way. Excuse me? Dealer put foam in that area. Problem solved for now?

The ride, the price was right, the power fold down 3rd row seats, appearance, performance, size is just right, and of course the AWD

Improve the interior quality and don't just ignore build issues. 3 vehicles with the same issue indicates a problem. Tech dropped headliner and found styrofoam blocks above the upper console around the moonroof area and put foam rubber the area to stop the noise, Ford could do the same on the line.

Hard to Improve On
By dan ertel

2008 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Mountaineer (had a 2002 & 2005). They keep getting better. Fuel economy not a factor due to my low mileage - comfort, safety, traction in the snow, room to transport items and style, these are what counts to me and the Mountaineer is a 10 in all respects. Large lease discount from Ford makes this vehicle a great deal.

Sound system, all wheel drive, plenty of room to transport items.

Better gas mileage, always could be better