2008 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
TERRIFYING TO DRIVE
By mercuryhater on 07/13/14 17:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Oh my god how could a car be so bad. Bought used in early 2011 with 34,000 miles around 65,000 miles it was leaking transmission fluid everywhere took it the best transmission mechanic in the area they sucked they charged us 3 grand for a rebuilt transmission.at 75,000 the trans started clunking when down shifting it was bad then the check engine light and a wrench (which means power train malfunction came on took it back it needs a new solenoid pack it was there for over a month not exaggerating a month took it home it did the same thing took it back and the solenoid was defective then replaced a rod in there too.In 2014 we traded for a beautiful Subaru Tribeca.

My third mountaineer and it's a lemon!
By defectivemntnr on 09/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Does Ford Motor Co care about losing a loyal customer?In my case the answer is no, not at all.I leased a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer 11/07,our third one.It was fine until 4/09 when it didn't start one day.Then it began to happen more frequently.My family ha been stranded countless times due to this problem. After several attempts at Ford Lincoln Mercury dealerships to fix the problem it still exists.The alternator,starter bad relay and battery have all been replaced yet several times a week I am left stranded somewhere with this defective vehicle that won't start.I have been in communication with the Ford Cust. Solutions team through two courses of repairs,a Special Ford Engineer was even sent

Love the SUV, but poor interior quality
By Ron on 08/30/08 13:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We love the room, the ride, the v8 power, the appearance, and we know from the past that we will love the AWD. The MPG is acceptable for an AWD mid-size SUV. We test drove the vehicle on a bright sunny day 98 F and heard no rattles or noises, but took delivery in the evening after sundown, temp 71F. On the way home the upper console started making an annoying noise when we hit seams in the road. We made 2 visits to fix the problem. Another Mountaineer that hadn't been prepped did the same thing, as did the 08 Explorer Rental. Service manager said that if more than 2 do the same, then Ford would say they're built that way. Excuse me? Dealer put foam in that area. Problem solved for now?

Hard to Improve On
By dan ertel on 07/19/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Mountaineer (had a 2002 & 2005). They keep getting better. Fuel economy not a factor due to my low mileage - comfort, safety, traction in the snow, room to transport items and style, these are what counts to me and the Mountaineer is a 10 in all respects. Large lease discount from Ford makes this vehicle a great deal.

No other SUV comes close to Mountaineer
By Chris on 10/19/07 10:42 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great SUV. Mercury really put their effort and time in this vehicle. All the details are very thought out and has a very stylish exterior and interior. It is very spacious and will fit any large family with up to 7. I really like how nice the ride is and is very comfortable. We were looking at other vehicles to consider, but we made a very smart choice and got this. This is a perfect SUV for a single person or a family of 7. And the V8 engine is very powerful and its just an overall awesome vehicle to own.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.