Used 2007 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

1st time Mountaineer owner
By 1st time Merc owner

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've been SUV drivers forever, live in rural area, and this has been a nice surprise. Purchased this Mountaineer replacing our Ford Explorer that had 170,000 plus miles. Took it on it's first road trip to the mountains for skiing and the comfort level was top notch. We are also impressed with the quiet ride this SUV has as opposed to our older Explorer. Average gas mileage on this 500 plus mile trip ranged between 18-22 mpg which is what we are used to with SUV's. Love having the reclining second row seats in this Mountaineer since we didn't have it on the Explorer. Cargo space was great for all our ski gear.

Controls are all easy to access and seats are very comfortable. Quiet ride with lots of leg room. Our daughter loved having access to plug in her mp3 player and listen to music over speaker system.

Door handles aren't our favorite but we are adjusting. Need another slot in console area to hold cell phones, wallets, etc. We have blind spots when backing up and can't lower the head rest on middle seats. Seems like a lot of plastic around grill area and around lights that I hope will hold up.

2007 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
By Hinrich

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is our 5th Mountaineer and not the best we had. Quite a few problems within the first 14,000 miles (check engine light on, 6-speed transmission shifting abrupt, airbag light on, bad body panel and door fit, rust on some body parts) required multiple dealer visits. The engine is powerful and more refined compared to the 2004 model we drove before. Gas mileage is bad, get about 14 MPG in mixed driving. Truck is comfortable except for a choppy ride over short bumps. Interior comfort is good with lots of space (I'm 6'6" tall). Quality of some interior materials a step back from 2004 model.

Powerful and refined V8 engine, good navigation and powerful stereo system incl. SIRIUS satellite radio, plenty of interior space, comfortable seats, well equipped for the price paid, AWD system and bad weather driving, safety features

Overall fit and finish, 18" Michelin tires don't handle well in snow, overall handling was more firm and precise on 2004 model, new 6-speed automatic worse than former 5-speed, manual shift mode, gas mileage, large gap between 2nd and 3rd row seats needs cover when seats are folded, cupholder

2007 Mercury Mountaineer great value!
By Vic Costa

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have nothing but good things to say about this SUV. It does all I need it do do with comfort and style! Value wise it is a great investment. I have had zero problems.

Ride, quietness, reliabliltiy

Gas mileage

Kogt
By Larry O'Connell

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned the SUV for 6 months and love it. I am more impressed with it the more I drive it. Mileage is an honest 13 mpg in heavy city driving and getting slightly better as it gets miles. The mileage on the road is where it really shines, it is easy to get 19-22+ mph on the open road. Combined mileage has been a solid 16+ mpg for our type of driving. I love the performance of the V8 and the 6 speed is able to find the right gear when needed. The SUV is solid, quiet,and fun to drive. We own a 2000 Mustang GT 5 speed that we love and I am shocked that I find my self wanting to take the Mountaineer on trips where the road is twisty. The Mountaineer really handles nice, and just feels right.

I like the solid feel of the SUV, and how quiet comfortable it is. Driving it just feels right from the seats to the steering wheel. It is big enough to haul big items, yet it is easy to drive around town and parking is a snap. It is a little shocking how little room is need to turn the car around.

My wife loves how smooth the transmission is when it shifts, I would like it to shift firmer to get the feel of a performance vehice (yes, I know it is a 4500lb SUV), but Ford does not allow for changing the shift firmness. I love the 6 speed automatic and have gotten used to it.

A great vehicle
By iceout

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is truly a great SUV. It handles great is reliable and fun to drive but most important it is very versatile from carrying up to 7 passengers to haling a lot of stuff (84 cu.ft.) and I have done both. The high ground clearance makes back road travel a breeze without worry of going over a rock in the road doing damage.

Split rear door, electric rear seat backs, rear A/C and heat controls.

Add a grab handle for the driver. Go back to the 2004 steering wheel, directional signal and shift with overdrive on/off switch within reach of your finger.