Used 2007 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

2007 Mercury Mountaineer

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Very Satisfied
By Vic

2007 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the third SUV I have owned and am very satisfied with its ride and reliability. I can't say enough good things about this vechicle. I would definitely recommend it!

Favorite Features

Comfort, safety, visibility, and ride

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage

Best SUV on Market
By Ksde4321

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We have owned this SUV for 2 years and have had absolutely no problems with it. It drives well both around town and on the highway. It is equally adept at towing a trailer or taking us out for a night on the town. If you need a car that gets over 30 mpg then get a Smart for 2. But if you need a vehicle that can do anything you ask of it then this is the one.

Favorite Features

Audio System, adjustable pedals, power folding steps.

Suggested Improvements

None

One great SUV
By Harry Marks

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2007 Mountaineer last March. For me this has been one fantastic vehicle. My average gas mileage was around 18.5mpg in combined driving and 25 on the open highway with three adults. The optional steering wheel controls for the radio, fan, and cruise were fantastic. I never needed to take my eyes off the road to make adjustments. The optional 3rd row seating came in handy on more than one occasion and were easy to operate. The only thing I did not like were the gaps in the cargo area when the 3rd row seats were stowed. I frequently haul a set of timpani (kettle drums) and the wheels wanted to fall in the cracks. Other than that, I love the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Audio and fan controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Provide protective mats that fill in the gaps when the 3rd row seating is stored.

Best SUV I ever owned
By Steve &Bonnie

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Very solid, safe well mannered vechicle. A real pleasure to drive on a long trip. We got up to 24 mpg, average 21-22 on long trips. Mileage varies depending on the brand of fuel you buy. Yes it does make a difference, I proved it to myself. I am curious though to see how well the AWD works as we will be going off road [within reason don't expect it to beat the trails I take with my Jeep] in Arizona this fall.

Favorite Features

I am getting old and love the comfort, heated power seats, and power running boards

Suggested Improvements

Like all new vehicles the plastic interior parts will probally fall apart. Scrap that worthless V6 like I had in a 2006 explorer. I have a lot more power and better gas mileage with the v8

Not bad, but needs improvements
By Hinrich

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We had our Mountaineer for 10 months and 15,000 miles and the experience has been mixed so far. It's our 5th Mountaineer and we love the overall package (exterior size vs. interior space), the powerful V8 engine and the features (Navigation system, great audio system). But we had issues and some couldn't be fixed yet. The 6-speed transmission shifts hards after accelerating from a standstill and was checked twice. Fit and finish is bad, body panels and doors needed adjustment. Fuel mileage is poor at best, we average 13.5 mpg in mixed driving. Handling is worse than with our 2004 Mountainer (18" Michelin tires, don't work well in snow either). Overall no big improvement to the 2004 model.

Favorite Features

Powerful and refined V8 engine, premium audio and navigation system, comfortable front seats with plenty of space (I'm 6'6" tall), good cargo capacity, fairly priced for the equipment level offered on the premium package

Suggested Improvements

Overall fit and finish (inside and out), cheaper materials inside compared to 2004 model!), gas mileage, ride & handling (drives like a GMC Envoy), fake aluminum wheels / covers start to deteriorate, more 12V power outlets, cover for crevices in cargo floor with all seats folded flat, transmission.