2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Member of the Family
By 4010diesel on 06/30/11 20:10 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our Mountaineer since the middle of 2008. We could not be more satisfied. I have utilized every feature and function of this vehicle. Including the roof rack, Class II hitch, AWD, cargo area, child seating, etc., etc. We have 3 children all of which are able to fit in the second row, leaving the rear cargo area available. The stereo is strong, the power is sufficient, the gas mileage is fair for an SUV, it easily tows my boat, powers thru 12" of snow, is smooth on the highway, and is a joy to drive. Although our V-6 is far from a performance engine I find that is provides all the pep I need and is relatively quiet considering the size of the vehicle.

Twice the pleasure
By Hillary on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second mountaineer and I do tend to agree with most that my 2002 was better built, the engine was more powerful (v8) yet the fuel economy was good for such a big suv. With that said, I also love my 2007. I have done nothing but oil changes (66,000) and never had any kind of work on it. I have five kids of my own and also use it for work transporting kids and the interior (leather) cleans easily. No problems with any plastic parts inside its actually pretty solid.

Nice Looking Vehicle
By Premier on 06/05/10 06:54 AM (PDT)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Great vehicle except the retractable running boards, need grease fitting to lube joints. Super vehicle in the ice/snow. Had to have the transmission adjusted at 10k miles. Suggest Ford look at the transmission in these vehicles, does not shift smoothly at low speeds.

An average vehicle
By jhood1590 on 04/13/10 19:58 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second mountaineer, I bought it brand new and got a deal because the mercury dealership was going out of business. The interior quality has decreases dramatically from the 2002 model I previously drove. It looks nice inside, just cheaply quality. Navigation makes it look very nice, and is very functional. Sound system is great. Exterior quality is OK. The paint has always been excellent on Fords, but the rims are a real problem. I don't recommend the polished aluminum rims. They have a terrible protective coat and a week of salt will destroy them. Ford customer service has always been awful, but the vehicles are a pretty good deal.

Not Satisfied
By Meg on 08/11/09 05:41 AM (PDT)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 3rd explorer/mountaineer in my family, and I am very disappointed. The first two were fabulous cars, hence I bought another one. It is 2.5 years old, 42,000 miles, and I've had the following replaced (accident-free): tires, rims, shifter, radiator, intake fan, and belt. A new car should not need so many repairs especially when it is well maintained.

Very Satisfied
By Vic on 01/04/09 19:47 PM (PST)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the third SUV I have owned and am very satisfied with its ride and reliability. I can't say enough good things about this vechicle. I would definitely recommend it!

Best SUV on Market
By Ksde4321 on 12/26/08 07:04 AM (PST)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We have owned this SUV for 2 years and have had absolutely no problems with it. It drives well both around town and on the highway. It is equally adept at towing a trailer or taking us out for a night on the town. If you need a car that gets over 30 mpg then get a Smart for 2. But if you need a vehicle that can do anything you ask of it then this is the one.

One great SUV
By Harry Marks on 12/17/08 15:28 PM (PST)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2007 Mountaineer last March. For me this has been one fantastic vehicle. My average gas mileage was around 18.5mpg in combined driving and 25 on the open highway with three adults. The optional steering wheel controls for the radio, fan, and cruise were fantastic. I never needed to take my eyes off the road to make adjustments. The optional 3rd row seating came in handy on more than one occasion and were easy to operate. The only thing I did not like were the gaps in the cargo area when the 3rd row seats were stowed. I frequently haul a set of timpani (kettle drums) and the wheels wanted to fall in the cracks. Other than that, I love the vehicle.

Best SUV I ever owned
By Steve &Bonnie on 09/05/08 16:26 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Very solid, safe well mannered vechicle. A real pleasure to drive on a long trip. We got up to 24 mpg, average 21-22 on long trips. Mileage varies depending on the brand of fuel you buy. Yes it does make a difference, I proved it to myself. I am curious though to see how well the AWD works as we will be going off road [within reason don't expect it to beat the trails I take with my Jeep] in Arizona this fall.

Not bad, but needs improvements
By Hinrich on 03/31/08 15:24 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We had our Mountaineer for 10 months and 15,000 miles and the experience has been mixed so far. It's our 5th Mountaineer and we love the overall package (exterior size vs. interior space), the powerful V8 engine and the features (Navigation system, great audio system). But we had issues and some couldn't be fixed yet. The 6-speed transmission shifts hards after accelerating from a standstill and was checked twice. Fit and finish is bad, body panels and doors needed adjustment. Fuel mileage is poor at best, we average 13.5 mpg in mixed driving. Handling is worse than with our 2004 Mountainer (18" Michelin tires, don't work well in snow either). Overall no big improvement to the 2004 model.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.