Used 2007 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Member of the Family
By 4010diesel

2007 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had our Mountaineer since the middle of 2008. We could not be more satisfied. I have utilized every feature and function of this vehicle. Including the roof rack, Class II hitch, AWD, cargo area, child seating, etc., etc. We have 3 children all of which are able to fit in the second row, leaving the rear cargo area available. The stereo is strong, the power is sufficient, the gas mileage is fair for an SUV, it easily tows my boat, powers thru 12" of snow, is smooth on the highway, and is a joy to drive. Although our V-6 is far from a performance engine I find that is provides all the pep I need and is relatively quiet considering the size of the vehicle.

AWD, stow and go 3rd row, comfortable interior, overall esthetics of vehicle, dual climate control.

The center cap on our alloy rims have cracks in them, our silver paint seems susceptible to surface rust dots.

Twice the pleasure
By Hillary

2007 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second mountaineer and I do tend to agree with most that my 2002 was better built, the engine was more powerful (v8) yet the fuel economy was good for such a big suv. With that said, I also love my 2007. I have done nothing but oil changes (66,000) and never had any kind of work on it. I have five kids of my own and also use it for work transporting kids and the interior (leather) cleans easily. No problems with any plastic parts inside its actually pretty solid.

We do road trips quite often and the vehicle is quite roomy and comfortable even with seven passengers.

My only complain would be the visibility when you are backing. There are a lot of blind spots. My sister has a pilot and I always envy her visibility.

Nice Looking Vehicle
By Premier

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Great vehicle except the retractable running boards, need grease fitting to lube joints. Super vehicle in the ice/snow. Had to have the transmission adjusted at 10k miles. Suggest Ford look at the transmission in these vehicles, does not shift smoothly at low speeds.

Transmission not shifting smoothly at low speeds plus bumps when stopped at red lights. Retractable running boards need lube points at joints.

An average vehicle
By jhood1590

2007 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second mountaineer, I bought it brand new and got a deal because the mercury dealership was going out of business. The interior quality has decreases dramatically from the 2002 model I previously drove. It looks nice inside, just cheaply quality. Navigation makes it look very nice, and is very functional. Sound system is great. Exterior quality is OK. The paint has always been excellent on Fords, but the rims are a real problem. I don't recommend the polished aluminum rims. They have a terrible protective coat and a week of salt will destroy them. Ford customer service has always been awful, but the vehicles are a pretty good deal.

Navigation, sporty yet comfortable interior, fuel economy is excellent compared to similar SUVs

It lacks many standard features for being a luxury upgrade from the Explorer. Exterior and interior quality is pretty low.

Not Satisfied
By Meg

2007 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 3rd explorer/mountaineer in my family, and I am very disappointed. The first two were fabulous cars, hence I bought another one. It is 2.5 years old, 42,000 miles, and I've had the following replaced (accident-free): tires, rims, shifter, radiator, intake fan, and belt. A new car should not need so many repairs especially when it is well maintained.

Exterior and interior look, size, I don't mind the gas mileage (16 mpg average), interior comfort ability

Overall quality