2006 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
My First SUV
By First SUV on 04/25/09 11:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV, bought from a dealer auction as used, mileage 31k. So far fantastic. Fun to drive. Gas mileage could be better, but its an SUV. Would recommend to friends. Interior styling very ergonomic, and quite. V6 performance adequate. Gear shift is ok, but sometimes you feel the jerk. My wife loves to drive.

Great Mariner
By Paul J Foxcroft on 10/13/08 17:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Loaded with more features than my Mercedes. Only one minor problem in 32,000 miles. Get over 22 mpg on highway. Best trip was 25.5 mpg with wind behind from Fort Davis to San Angelo. Very quiet and smooth. This vehicle has fully restored my faith in American vehicles. Can hardly wait for the MKS with the turbo engine to replace the Mercedes.

My 4th one
By 4th one on 10/13/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 4th Mountaineer all purchased new. 97/02/04 and my current 06. No problems with the first 3 whatsoever. Unfortunatly the 06 has had trany problems from day one. 30,000 miles on it as of today and the trany probley remains. Hard down shifts 2/1, almost like being rearended every time. Dealor and factory rep say this is normal. I find it totally unacceptable. Must be in the design. Other than the trans probs,and the ridiculous design of the inside door handles, I could not be happier.

Terrible SUV
By michelle on 08/15/08 23:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought an 06 Premier V8 new. What a waste of 30K. It is beautiful but has been nothing but trouble. THE TRANSMISSION SLIPS and has had to be serviced once a quarter since I bought it. Ford has tried several different "computer calibrations" to fix it to no avail. Also motor on 3rd row seat went out even though we leave it down 99% of the time. Also, only gets 14 mpg, 17 HWY AT BEST. Seats are uncomfortable over 100 mile trips. Door handles are ridiculous & doors must be slammed to shut. I can't believe I traded in my Lexus on this clunker. Do yourself a favor and do not buy this car.

Very Nice
By Shari on 04/16/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Love the car--bought it brand new in 2007 with only 200 miles on it. Ride is great, kids love the extras. Retractable step bars are great in winter--they don't collect snow.

Great Vacation Vehicle
By John on 03/18/08 20:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I bought this vehicle in March 06 with a sign and drive lease deal. We have had no problems at all. We have driven to California and Washington State from Ohio. We had 22 MPG on the highway until we got the the Mountains but overall average 19.5 MPG for the trip. It had good power in the Mountains even as a V6. Kids like the DVD entertainment package however that is the only time we have used it. Excellent vacation vehicle with plenty of storage.

Mountaineer
By Wayne on 02/02/08 12:43 PM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The vehicle I have drives well, but chugs when cold. It only runs well on high octane gas. The V6 pulls my boat with no issues. Gas mileage is about 11-12 city.

Great Value
By Great Value on 01/10/08 10:20 AM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Shopped Honda Pilots, Toyota Highlanders, Toyota 4Runners, Ford Explorers, Subarus, and some of the smaller SUVs as well (Rav4/Mariner/Escape/CRV). Finally came across the Mercury Mountaineer. Really liked the exterior styling of the Mountaineer over the Explorer and it seemed to offer more standard features. Compared to the Honda/Toyota counterparts, the Mountaineer offered far more for the money (about a $6k - 8k difference for the Honda/Toyota equivalent). Really like the smaller SUVs but was able to pick up the larger Mountaineer for about $1k - 2k more. Once again, a great overall value. Gas mileage is on par for a SUV of this size.

Very Nice SUV
By jhalle on 12/26/07 09:04 AM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just traded in our 2003 Mountaineer for a used 2006 Model. We were very pleased with the previous model and are even more pleased with this one. It handles much better than the 03 Model and the interior is much more luxurious. Spent months comparing and trying 3 row SUV's. This was by far the best value. Sure the Highlander and Pilot were a little more refined but not enough to justify the extra $8000-$10000 price tags. Wish they would not have changed lift gate.Paid $17,500 for a loaded model with 19,000 miles on it. Some have complained of the door handles. Though a little awkward at first you do get used to it within a week.

6 speed transmission a problem
By chris61 on 10/20/07 17:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

My wife and I replaced our 1999 Mountaineer with this 2006 Premier 2WD. She really likes her car, and for the most part, I do too. I'm not disappointed with the gas mileage, as we knew going in it wasn't going to win any economy championships. My biggest disappointment has been with the six speed transmission. We currently have 25000 miles on it, and it has been back to the dealer for the trans too many times to count. The problem is with the 1/2 upshift and 2/1 downshift. The problem is especially noticeable on the first drive of the day. If you don't come to a complete stop it won't shift all the way to first, then almost "stumbles" until you're into 2nd. They replaced the MTronics last.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.