Used 2006 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercury Mountaineer

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Love it
By my first

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

had it almost a year. love it so far. no complaint other than gas guzler. but hay its a SUV! what do you expect 50 miles a gallon

Favorite Features

6CD mp3, dual climate, auto dimming rear view mirror

Suggested Improvements

none that I can think of

TSB 08-24-4 fixed transmission bump
By JS

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Initially had bad shifting problem when coming to a stop and felt a horrendous bump from behind when it shifted from 2nd to 1st gear - as described from several other reviews. Ford Has a TSB 08-24-4 for reprogramming the transmission that they performed for free at the dealer I purchased from. Bought used with 56K with Ford Premium Care 48k mile warranty. The funnest vehicle I have ever owned now that trans is smoothed out. This is a issue that took Ford 2 years to get a final fix. This covers 2006-2008 Mercury Mountaineers, Ford Explorers and Sport Tracs with the 4.6 V8 6R60 transmissions. TSB 08-24-4 is the updated fix for the transmission bump that occurs when stopping. Google it.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, stearing wheel radio & temp controls, navigation, audiophile radio system. Initially didn't care if I had all of the options, but I do not think I will ever be able to go back to not having them. This is my favorite vehicle I have owned.

Suggested Improvements

AWD can be turned off, put in auto or locked in high electronically. Its a pain in the rear to go through the set up to lock it in high so I just keep it in auto. It would have been better to just give it a button similar to the Explorer. Also no low option. All in all not a big deal.

luv it
By MRS. A

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this used. Had a moutaineer in 1999. Love this SUV. Navigation/radio went out but was replaced with warranty. I get 22mpg on highway,bad around town. Traded off because I wanted the 8cyl. was well worth it. Again could not be happier.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, powered 3rd seat,powered passenger seat just about everything

Suggested Improvements

More storage space.

Transmission Probs--Beware
By Mrs. C

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

After having owned my 06 Mountaineer with all the extras for a year--this is what has happened. Been in the shop three times now for the transmission slips--they keep changing the computer settings (so they say). Had to have master cylinder replaced at 10,000 miles (Ford cannot answer why it went bad). Now the motor has gone on the running boards. Yes, they are all warrantied problems--but a pain in the butt to get to the service center all the time.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission problems. Hard to enjoy your car when so many things go wrong.

transmission woes
By larry hancock

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I loved the car at first, smooth ride, nice looks and then about 30 days into the affair her true nature appeared. It started with downshifts, then went to pausing between shifts as the motor raced. The downshifting problem continued after to trips to the dealer, and now I'm on my third trip to the dealer today. Might I suggest you not be fooled by her beauty and go to the internet for some facts. the dealer says there are no problems with this transmission... buyer beware.

Favorite Features

The interior is beautiful, only problem is the position of the door closing handle. the premier edition is the way to go.

Suggested Improvements

put the transmission out of a 1995 explorer in the car and it would be perfect. I have 200,000 on my explorer with no problems.