Used 2006 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercury Mountaineer

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Love this SUV - Bad Gas Mileage!
By Petnannyz

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV used in Nov 2007 with about 18,000 miles for $17,900 and got an awesome prices. It is fully loaded and has the extra two seats in the back too. Have driven it now for 29 months through summer's & New England weather. It does shift a little rough at times and has gotten stuck in Park but there was a recall for that so dealership will fix that for free. Love the AWD and how you can lock in the 4WD - pretty easy to do once you figure out the buttons. Love the extra two seats in the way back and they fold up & down so easy! Love my heated seats too; wouldn't get one with out them. Not too pleased with the speaker sound, sounds tinny to me. But otherwise love this SUV.

Heated Seats; exterior looks, 3rd row seats; 4WD; pretty comfy; love all the room in the back for our dogs to ride back there or for grocery shopping etc.; saved electronic preset seat settings for 2; amount of space in the back

Gas Mileage is horrible expensive to drive a lot; sound system needs improvement; electronic seats sometimes won't move when car is started, dealer says has to do with #1 & #2 presets & what key you use to start it but if you turn off & back on it will work; a little rough shifting gears

Excellent Vehicle - Very Happy!
By 1st SUV

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this 2006 vehicle about 1 month ago from a private party, with about 28k miles. After reading all the reviews about poor transmissions, and all the problems people were having, I almost turned away a great SUV! I have had NO problems whatsoever (knock on wood) so far. Transmission is very smooth & very fun to drive. Interior design is very nice and unique, but the exterior presents nothing truly exciting. I have been getting about 385 miles per tank, roughly 20 gallons to fill up, at about $60 bucks a pop...but it's well worth it, and it's an SUV so that was expected!

Definitely the interior. Mine is two toned which sets it apart from other model SUV's. Great space.

Rear head rests do not go all the way down - very odd in my opinion. Also the placement of the door handles...they are too low and awkward to get at. Other than that, not much else bad I could say. And if thats the worst, I'm happy.

Love it
By my first

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

had it almost a year. love it so far. no complaint other than gas guzler. but hay its a SUV! what do you expect 50 miles a gallon

6CD mp3, dual climate, auto dimming rear view mirror

none that I can think of

TSB 08-24-4 fixed transmission bump
By JS

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Initially had bad shifting problem when coming to a stop and felt a horrendous bump from behind when it shifted from 2nd to 1st gear - as described from several other reviews. Ford Has a TSB 08-24-4 for reprogramming the transmission that they performed for free at the dealer I purchased from. Bought used with 56K with Ford Premium Care 48k mile warranty. The funnest vehicle I have ever owned now that trans is smoothed out. This is a issue that took Ford 2 years to get a final fix. This covers 2006-2008 Mercury Mountaineers, Ford Explorers and Sport Tracs with the 4.6 V8 6R60 transmissions. TSB 08-24-4 is the updated fix for the transmission bump that occurs when stopping. Google it.

Heated seats, stearing wheel radio & temp controls, navigation, audiophile radio system. Initially didn't care if I had all of the options, but I do not think I will ever be able to go back to not having them. This is my favorite vehicle I have owned.

AWD can be turned off, put in auto or locked in high electronically. Its a pain in the rear to go through the set up to lock it in high so I just keep it in auto. It would have been better to just give it a button similar to the Explorer. Also no low option. All in all not a big deal.

luv it
By MRS. A

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this used. Had a moutaineer in 1999. Love this SUV. Navigation/radio went out but was replaced with warranty. I get 22mpg on highway,bad around town. Traded off because I wanted the 8cyl. was well worth it. Again could not be happier.

Sun roof, powered 3rd seat,powered passenger seat just about everything