2006 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Great Mariner
By Paul J Foxcroft on 10/13/08 17:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Loaded with more features than my Mercedes. Only one minor problem in 32,000 miles. Get over 22 mpg on highway. Best trip was 25.5 mpg with wind behind from Fort Davis to San Angelo. Very quiet and smooth. This vehicle has fully restored my faith in American vehicles. Can hardly wait for the MKS with the turbo engine to replace the Mercedes.

Terrible SUV
By michelle on 08/15/08 23:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought an 06 Premier V8 new. What a waste of 30K. It is beautiful but has been nothing but trouble. THE TRANSMISSION SLIPS and has had to be serviced once a quarter since I bought it. Ford has tried several different "computer calibrations" to fix it to no avail. Also motor on 3rd row seat went out even though we leave it down 99% of the time. Also, only gets 14 mpg, 17 HWY AT BEST. Seats are uncomfortable over 100 mile trips. Door handles are ridiculous & doors must be slammed to shut. I can't believe I traded in my Lexus on this clunker. Do yourself a favor and do not buy this car.

6 speed transmission a problem
By chris61 on 10/20/07 17:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

My wife and I replaced our 1999 Mountaineer with this 2006 Premier 2WD. She really likes her car, and for the most part, I do too. I'm not disappointed with the gas mileage, as we knew going in it wasn't going to win any economy championships. My biggest disappointment has been with the six speed transmission. We currently have 25000 miles on it, and it has been back to the dealer for the trans too many times to count. The problem is with the 1/2 upshift and 2/1 downshift. The problem is especially noticeable on the first drive of the day. If you don't come to a complete stop it won't shift all the way to first, then almost "stumbles" until you're into 2nd. They replaced the MTronics last.

Best New Car Ever
By pfoxcroft on 01/01/07 19:06 PM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned Mercedes, Bmw, Acura etc. This is the best vehicle I have bought. No problems .Extremely quiet. Magnificent transmission. 21 mpg at 70 mph.Loaded with features . American cars are back. Why pay more for a funny looking more expensive smaller import? Have you driven a ford lately? Do your self a favor.

Love to drive
By moe45 on 09/19/06 11:03 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This vehicle is a great step forward for the American car manufacturer. The drive is superb, confort and handling are outstanding. It's very easy to forget you are driving a "truck" as the drive feels like a luxury car. The V8 engine gives you very smooth power throughout all the six gears of the automatic transmission. The rear "power" 6th and 7th passenger seats are comfortable for an average size adult. My wife, 5'2", loves the adjustable foot pedal which allow her to drive at a safe distance from the steering wheel. The interior is very nicely appointed with a modern clean but yet luxurious look and feel. It all works, no rattles, no squeaks, no interior parts falling off, "great"

Test Drive One and You'll Believe
By Chris in FLL on 07/31/06 16:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The Mountaineer is much roomier and proves a quieter and smoother ride than the MDX. This vehicle has a strong structure and transmits NO noise, squeaks or rattles in the cabin. The power retracting running boards and the power 3rd row seats are a hoot. Having driven the Acura, the Mountaineer is clearly a much better deal and when fully equipped was still thousands less than the MDX after the rebates.

A nicely appointed package
By Jeff on 02/11/06 01:46 AM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in a 2001 Santa Fe for this and it is quite the upgrade. It is so well packed with features and the quality of the ride, quietness is great. It is smooth on the road with the 6 speed and it even has a gauge that tells you how effective your gas mileage is while your driving, so you can learn to get better. I love it.

Better than 2005 model
By Charles Serra on 01/03/06 13:51 PM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I traded a 2005 in on the 2006. The 2006 is a great improvement over the 2005. Even though they look almost the same, the 2006 is a much better SUV than the 2005 in every respect. I am very happy!

Watch Out
By Patrick on 12/14/05 18:18 PM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I can say that I do like my new Mountaneer, but be warned have the dealership check out the instrument cluster before you leave. I bought mine with 23 miles on it, two days later it was in the shop having a new instrument cluster put in. Even having the new instrament cluster put in, they still had problems with it and it still sits there now after 4 days! Hopefully this will be the only problem I will have as I have always had good luck with Ford products.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.