2006 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Great SUV
By mfc7 on 03/05/12 07:03 AM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was not sure about getting my Mountaineer las year with all the missinformation out there. I just wanted tp let everyone know, it is not true. My SUV even had a savage title and has been GREAT, it is an awsome vehicle and you won't believe how much space, comfort and how reliable it is in the weather conditions I live in.

Love my Mountaineer
By Deborah Heckenberger on 06/09/10 12:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Mountaineer (1st was 2003). I love the comfort, handling and roominess. I like the AWD, and my favorite feature is the heated seats, not too hot, not too cold. Only problem was shifting and the recall took care of that. Sorry that they are discontinuing or I would buy a third one in a year or so.

Can't Complain...
By PlainJoe on 05/16/10 18:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Got this used with 25000 miles, now has 55000 miles. At first, I expected trouble but the car gave me none. Has not been to the dealer. CANT COMPLAIN. Im really happy with the performance. Does really well in NJ snow.

Love this SUV - Bad Gas Mileage!
By Petnannyz on 04/10/10 06:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV used in Nov 2007 with about 18,000 miles for $17,900 and got an awesome prices. It is fully loaded and has the extra two seats in the back too. Have driven it now for 29 months through summer's & New England weather. It does shift a little rough at times and has gotten stuck in Park but there was a recall for that so dealership will fix that for free. Love the AWD and how you can lock in the 4WD - pretty easy to do once you figure out the buttons. Love the extra two seats in the way back and they fold up & down so easy! Love my heated seats too; wouldn't get one with out them. Not too pleased with the speaker sound, sounds tinny to me. But otherwise love this SUV.

Excellent Vehicle - Very Happy!
By 1st SUV on 02/27/10 14:56 PM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this 2006 vehicle about 1 month ago from a private party, with about 28k miles. After reading all the reviews about poor transmissions, and all the problems people were having, I almost turned away a great SUV! I have had NO problems whatsoever (knock on wood) so far. Transmission is very smooth & very fun to drive. Interior design is very nice and unique, but the exterior presents nothing truly exciting. I have been getting about 385 miles per tank, roughly 20 gallons to fill up, at about $60 bucks a pop...but it's well worth it, and it's an SUV so that was expected!

Love it
By my first on 01/02/10 23:51 PM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

had it almost a year. love it so far. no complaint other than gas guzler. but hay its a SUV! what do you expect 50 miles a gallon

TSB 08-24-4 fixed transmission bump
By JS on 10/28/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Initially had bad shifting problem when coming to a stop and felt a horrendous bump from behind when it shifted from 2nd to 1st gear - as described from several other reviews. Ford Has a TSB 08-24-4 for reprogramming the transmission that they performed for free at the dealer I purchased from. Bought used with 56K with Ford Premium Care 48k mile warranty. The funnest vehicle I have ever owned now that trans is smoothed out. This is a issue that took Ford 2 years to get a final fix. This covers 2006-2008 Mercury Mountaineers, Ford Explorers and Sport Tracs with the 4.6 V8 6R60 transmissions. TSB 08-24-4 is the updated fix for the transmission bump that occurs when stopping. Google it.

luv it
By MRS. A on 09/25/09 11:39 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this used. Had a moutaineer in 1999. Love this SUV. Navigation/radio went out but was replaced with warranty. I get 22mpg on highway,bad around town. Traded off because I wanted the 8cyl. was well worth it. Again could not be happier.

Transmission Probs--Beware
By Mrs. C on 05/12/09 07:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

After having owned my 06 Mountaineer with all the extras for a year--this is what has happened. Been in the shop three times now for the transmission slips--they keep changing the computer settings (so they say). Had to have master cylinder replaced at 10,000 miles (Ford cannot answer why it went bad). Now the motor has gone on the running boards. Yes, they are all warrantied problems--but a pain in the butt to get to the service center all the time.

transmission woes
By larry hancock on 04/30/09 10:59 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4dr SUV AWD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I loved the car at first, smooth ride, nice looks and then about 30 days into the affair her true nature appeared. It started with downshifts, then went to pausing between shifts as the motor raced. The downshifting problem continued after to trips to the dealer, and now I'm on my third trip to the dealer today. Might I suggest you not be fooled by her beauty and go to the internet for some facts. the dealer says there are no problems with this transmission... buyer beware.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.