2005 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Best SUV on the market
By BEST Small SUV on 07/18/08 15:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Outstanding SUV. Great to drive and I do lots of it. This SUV has been on cross country trips, local trips, and long trips. I have towed trailers, boats, and jet skies and it performs well. With the onboard computers you don't need to worry about traction, skids, reversing, mirrors, speed, moving the seats, you can focus on driving. Passengers are well entertained with the surround sound DVD player. It does it all for you so you can focus on driving. This has been a dream car, better than any car I have ever owned, even my 7 series BMW. 80K miles and only routine maintenance. It is as strong as when I got it. Perfect choice for anyone needing a small SUV, it's the whole families first choice

OK, could be better
By nvs on 07/13/08 22:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall it's been OK but the build quality could be better and only has 42k. So far we have had to replace the tires 3 times can’t buy just one its AWD. Wheels are going bad from rust/corrosion and the chrome is peeling. Been in shop two times in 6 months for wheel bearings. CD changer ate the disks and they won’t come out. Don’t get me wrong, I like it. The power is great. With the 5 speed and the V8 on the freeway it gets 20 mpg or more but around town it’s like 15 or less.

Good SUV for more room, but bad MPG's
By Manuel J Mathew Jr on 06/03/08 05:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this vehicle primarily for our budding family. It has been to FL twice from VA, and has performed in the mountainous dirt roads of AR as well. It is a good SUV all around, and hasn't let us down as yet. This is not an SUV to buy if you are interested in great gas mileage however. We had some problems with the clear coat, but were rectified by the dealer, that is all.

Ft. Myers
By Chip on 01/11/06 20:51 PM (PST)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It has been at the dealer 3 times for warranty work. The rearend went out at 12K miles. When you turn the steering wheel it makes a grinding noise, which the dealer says nothing is wrong. They can't fix it. I have owned Ford truck/SUV's for the past 10 years and never had any problems. My wife has had only Honda/Toyota products. I am going to sell it and put her back into either a Honda/Toyota product.

awesome
By jay on 01/03/06 20:12 PM (PST)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been a pleasure on the road and city for such a big vehicle i barely feel the engine!

Solidly built with roomy interior
By S.K.LAHIRI on 12/19/05 07:00 AM (PST)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have recently purchased 2005 (Dec, 05) Mountaineer at Dubai (M/East) with possible all options like leather interior, rev. parking sensor, alloy wheel, 6 CD changer, 8" DVD etc. except moonroof. It gives me 14- 15L/100KM av which includes highway and city driving. Although it has a sluggish response for acceleration, overall safe and roomy feeling with all around clear view makes it a pleasure for driving. While shifting is slightly noticeable while AC is on, otherwise it is totally silky smooth. Its AC is powerful and responsive. I only regret that it does not have Xenon headlamps and nor as an option. Same goes for a retractable antenna. It is a commendable car

Great Vehicle
By Bill on 12/05/05 09:50 AM (PST)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Good handling, brakes, styling, driving position, ride comfort and room make this a good choice. Gas mileage is bad, but that is to be expected in a vehicle this size. Fit and finish are excellent and the quality of materials is a step above the Explorer and miles ahead of the domestic competition.

1 of the Sweetest out there for the $$
By KC in Brooklyn NY on 11/08/05 02:45 AM (PST)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our first American after years of leasing Volvo, Infiniti, and Lexus sedans. So we can compare reliability and service. 6K miles in 3 months and we love it!! We gave up the heated steering wheel,heated r/seats & 3rd row aux. air. But in return a DVD(=happy kids), tons of cash left over when compared to imports, and an SUV that does not get lost in a sea of Explorers in the parking lot. The fuel gauge went the 2nd week, and the A/C air compressor "chirps" every once in a while.(happened in my friends '03) Dan over in the service dept. really takes care of his customers. All I can say to the import companies is: You can keep your Cappucino and Biscotti! In the end I paid for IT!!

Great vehicle!!!! Great value!
By Ryan on 08/11/05 01:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up a premier silver birch mountaineer, great value, cheaper payments, not one problem yet!, this is my 4th mountaineer, not one problem with any of them, great dealer remote starter systems

First 999 miles
By Jay on 08/10/05 22:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The SUV has performed superb, the ride is smooth, transmission is swift, and overall a great investment. Rides and styles as a luxury SUV. The Family Incentives from Ford made this $12,700 investment a no brainer. The vehicles manuvers superb and is easy to park, great view from all angles. The cabin design and adjustable pedals allows for flexibilty and comfort for my wife to drive. Is fun to drive, can wait to take it on the road for a 600 - 700 mile drive. Compares to my BMW 325 on handling and comfort. The Mercury team got this one right on the money.