Used 2005 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Best SUV on the market
By BEST Small SUV

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Outstanding SUV. Great to drive and I do lots of it. This SUV has been on cross country trips, local trips, and long trips. I have towed trailers, boats, and jet skies and it performs well. With the onboard computers you don't need to worry about traction, skids, reversing, mirrors, speed, moving the seats, you can focus on driving. Passengers are well entertained with the surround sound DVD player. It does it all for you so you can focus on driving. This has been a dream car, better than any car I have ever owned, even my 7 series BMW. 80K miles and only routine maintenance. It is as strong as when I got it. Perfect choice for anyone needing a small SUV, it's the whole families first choice

All the on board computers that take the work out of driving. The Family would say the surround sound DVD player. You get the full effect in the car, I have found myself ducking when an aircraft flew through the SUV. That made everyone laugh. This SUV is truly the family car. 3rd row seat is handy

Hybrid, gas mileage

OK, could be better
By nvs

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall it's been OK but the build quality could be better and only has 42k. So far we have had to replace the tires 3 times canít buy just one its AWD. Wheels are going bad from rust/corrosion and the chrome is peeling. Been in shop two times in 6 months for wheel bearings. CD changer ate the disks and they wonít come out. Donít get me wrong, I like it. The power is great. With the 5 speed and the V8 on the freeway it gets 20 mpg or more but around town itís like 15 or less.

Great power with the 4.6 V8. Seats 7. It has a lot of cup holders.

Fix the AWD. Engagement clunks a lot. Wheels bearings. Lots of wind noise from the sun roof and the CD changer

Good SUV for more room, but bad MPG's
By Manuel J Mathew Jr

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this vehicle primarily for our budding family. It has been to FL twice from VA, and has performed in the mountainous dirt roads of AR as well. It is a good SUV all around, and hasn't let us down as yet. This is not an SUV to buy if you are interested in great gas mileage however. We had some problems with the clear coat, but were rectified by the dealer, that is all.

All wheel drive, and locking capability. Fairly versatile as far as cargo inside and on top. We have used this SUV to the max, and it is still holding up.

I would recommend the V8, if you can afford the price hike. I would also recommend the sunroof.

Ft. Myers
By Chip

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It has been at the dealer 3 times for warranty work. The rearend went out at 12K miles. When you turn the steering wheel it makes a grinding noise, which the dealer says nothing is wrong. They can't fix it. I have owned Ford truck/SUV's for the past 10 years and never had any problems. My wife has had only Honda/Toyota products. I am going to sell it and put her back into either a Honda/Toyota product.

awesome
By jay

2005 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been a pleasure on the road and city for such a big vehicle i barely feel the engine!