2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
What an improvement ! GES
By GES on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Just traded in my 1998 Mountaneer V8 AWD, and the improvement in ride and on the road feel is immense. I even notice a slight increase in the interior width of the vehicle.The Body style is a knockout. I do believe that I notice a very slight improvement in Gas mileage over the 1998. It could just be my imagination because I like this one so much better.

lvc
By lvcollins on 09/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I love the mountaineer. It's comfortable and has a smooth ride. The only problem that I've experienced is that the car wants to stall out in either cold or warm weather. The engine begins to rev up, the car lunges forward repeatedly,then proceeds to stall when I decelerate upon approaching a stop sign/light or into a turn. Eventually I have to put the car into park and give it a little gas to stop the revving. It's an intermmitent problem occuring a few times a month. I have had it looked at twice and they can't seem to find the problem. Today it is in the shop for an oil change, hopefully they can correct the problem.

Great ride
By vlmelm@aol.com on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

It's been a good suv for me. For i have 5 grandchildren and they just love it. I had my daughter putrchase one also. She sold a friend on buying hers so she bought one also.I can't wait to but another in 2 yrs.

Solid
By don o on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Great all around SUV. A lot of car for the $ and great room. The gas milage on the V8 is not so good. Outstanding sound system

Best bet as a Ford by-product
By montaingirl on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Now this is a suv! Also, if the Aviator & Navigator are a little out of your price range this is the next best thing. I would change one thing -the gear shift should be on the lower console & it should be a digital dash -other then that & I Love this vehicle & will be re- purchasing when It is time . good luck shoppers & maybe by the time 4 a trade in the gas consumption will be much better. Then this would be the number 1 car -as far as I would be concerned.

Used to have a chevy blazer
By skipp98984 on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this SUV is much better then the old chevy blazer, very roomy inside cabin, better gas milage then expected, even going from a V6 to the nice 4.6 V8. Great pickup, can't wait for the snow! Smooth ride, would like to take it off road, but the paint is still way too nice! Great build, check out the undercarrage.

Buy it!
By Pj on 09/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The strong point is the ride. I tried a number of high end SUVs and bought this one because of its superior ride. Very stylish for a SUV with comfortable front seats.

Good car
By benji88487 on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Great looking car. drives nicely. Only problems with it have been cd player and light.

New Mountaineer
By recdry on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We pull a horse trailer and went from a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. No comparison. The Mountaineer pulled better had a much nicer ride quiet and comfortable. The back up monitor is very helpful when it comes time to attach the trailer. Put the special mud flaps on from Mercury and they blend right in with the design. Looks great

Mountaineer, A Sleeper!!
By Jerome Rich on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I drove a new Explorer for 6, trouble- free years and wanted the same reliability with just a little more luxury. I found it in my new Mountaineer. I compared it with other mid-size 3-row SUVs: Toyota's 4Runner, Honda's Pilot and Chevy's Blazer. This SUV seems to have it all. Ccomfort, space, reliability, 3 rows of seats and it looks good.