Used 2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Mountaineer -Great Ride
By ceil Rydzewski

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The SUV has given me no problems.I tow a 2-horse trailer and it pulls great. Why have a truck when the comfort and tow is all in this car. I am about to buy a new one

Smooth ride comfort and luxury. Great tow compacity

Better gas mileage. Don't need third row of seats.

little problems
By roack1

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd mountaineer, and on all 3 the windows froze and wouldn't thaw till driven 15 min w/defrost hi. Wipers also a problem-froze up quickly. 2001&2004 'check tire pressure'lite always came on even when pressure was ok.I love the OD on/off-I do a lot of just riding in the mtns. Never been a problem w/ control in heavy snow-I can get right thru snowbanks when I'm plowed in. I guess I love it if I have had 3 mountaineers since 1998.

AWD, backup alarm, info panel. 3rd row seat unnecessary for me.

1998 model dash and console were better than 2004. A little woodgrain would be nice. 60/40 back seat split was better than the 3 splits. You've got to work on the windows that freeze tight and won't open!

not too bad not too good
By not too bad

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

overall i am not too impressed. i am glad i leased it and did not buy it. it is extremely poor on gas mileage. all the doors and trunk do not latch well. the keyless entry does not alwasy work. since the transmission recall my vehicle "needed" was done, it works worse. three car seats do not fit in the second row. heating system does not heat up fast enough, but the heated seated are awesome. rear speakers are terrible and tinny sounding. needs trunk release button in the vehicle (its only on the remote). mercury service stinks. I thought having a third row was a plus until I tried to get to it. BOTTOM LINE - I BOUGHT THIS AS A FAMILY VEHICLE --BAD CHOICE!!!

heated seats and it goes FAST!

need a trunk release from inside the vehicle, better gas mileage, trunk is VERY hard to close(impossible with one hand - not practical for a Mom with kids), doors and trunk do not close properly unless slammed shut, make this vehicle more family friendly!

I wish I'da had a V8
By jefferyg

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Mountaineer is a great vehicle for taking long leisurely trips. We usually get about 21 mpg on the highway and have gotten as good as 23. However, it is impractical as a day in/day out grocery getter. We get only 14.5 mpg around town with the V6. I believe the V8 would have done just as well. Other than that it is a great SUV. It's quiet, comfortable, and my wife loves it.

Our kids, 5 and 7 love the slightly reclining rear seats. We also have the rear center console. It has lots of storage for the kids' stuff.

Ford should go ahead and put a 2" receiver hitch on all the Mountaineers and Explorers. Also, the roof rail cross bars should be standard features. But most of all, IMPROVE THE GAS MILEAGE!

5th one, best yet
By nvbanker

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned a 94 Explorer, 97 Mountaineer, 98 Mountaineer, 02 Mountaineer, and now an 04 Mountaineer, AWD Premier. Each has been better than the last, although the 94 is still running, and we sold it with 140,000 miles on it. Same transmission, engine, A/C still worked. 4WD had quit at about 110,000, and I never fixed it. The independent rear suspension offered since 02 is class leading, and only now are some of the other manufactures offering it. It improves handling dramatically, and allows for the 3rd seat to actually be functional and comfortable for an adult. The rear air, coming through the ceiling is extraordinary as well. Love the V-8 power. I still think it's the best value.

Independent Rear Suspension and Rear Air, also the functional 3rd seat that folds flat into the floor. No seat to take out and leave somewhere when you want to haul something or bring a TV home from an impulse purchase. Also love the looks outside.

If Ford is listening, dress up the dash a bit. Even the 06, which is an improvement and remarkable truck, still has a fairly plain dash.