Used 2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Most reliable car I've ever owned.
By Elaine Stone

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 Mountaineer used in 2008. I paid way below book value, due mainly to the fact that it's somewhat of a gas hog and everyone was shopping for fuel efficiency at the time. It now has 190,000 miles on it. Just had new tires put on, new wheel bearings, and replaced a worn control arm. I have had zero mechanical or electronic issues. We did replace the back hatch panel at about 100,000 miles which I hear is common for those to crack. One hinge on the back glass hatch was replaced at the same time. I hit a 10 point buck in January of this year that garnered me a new hood, driver side headlight and fender, grill and front bumper. The Mountaineer took the hit, and I was able to drive it home! There was still way more value in the car than the repairs cost. I have the 3rd row seats and there is a ton of room for hauling kids, adults, and cargo when all of the back seats are folded down. The leather interior has held up well; driver's seat is starting to crack a little. The exterior is still nice except for a rust bubble forming over the passenger back tire and some rust on the interior back doors(?). The electronic "perks" are limited due to technology not being available at the time of production, but what's on it still works. I love this car and dread the day that I have to trade. I'm sad that there are no more being produced, but since the Ford Explorer is virtually the same vehicle, I'll probably go to that when I turn this car over to my teenage son.

Miserable SUV
By dencal26

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission went at 51K. Bearings, Rotors warped, Calipers froze.
Now the rear makes noise and at 91K I need a transfer case because it leaks and makes steering difficult.
Never again will I buy a Ford.

Honesty. One can search the web and find thousands of Explorer and Mountaineer owners with the same transmission issues. But no recall?

LoveD this car
By seltz9

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

My parents bought this car brand new and gave it to me. They had no problems every, except that back hatch crack that is common, i get it and everything is wrong at 76,000. rain out of gas on I-80 recently because all of a sudden my gas gage doesnt work. my ABS light is always on and my cruise never works. my ac and heat do not work. back riper flew off, tranny is apparently going out, loud metal clinking, stereo bass and treble dont work, speaker goes in and out, leather had been cracked since day 1. i love this car cause i know what it was like brand new and have kept us safe but i offically hate it too

suv, awd, interior with the silver is nice

too many

'04 Mountaineer
By Mountaineer

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this for my wife with 24k miles now it is up to 58k miles. Sure there have been a few things wrong but hey we got a warranty. I love the pwr and the ride this thing has when I drive it. It gives you a commanding feel of the road. It has road noise between 40 and 50. Also the rear window hatch cracked, you see it on a lot of Explorers and Mountaineers.

power, comfort, style

gas,but it's a 4.6 V8 what do you expect, you'd get better in an Expedition.

Got Pounded!
By Jose'

2004 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV and within three months the battery died, this made passive alarm go off. After 3 DAYS and $300 the dealership finally made time to rekey it and get it started! 23 months later the tranny goes out with a minimum price of $2,400! Wish I would have saw these reviews sooner.In this economy who can afford to take this kinda loss? Yet after reading all these reviews, I can't afford to keep this thing without a government bailout. I'm going to take a loss and by me a Honda.

programable drivers seat unlock codes for doors adjustable foot pedals

Dealers should get you in 1st if passive alarm goes off. What good is this alarm system if only the dealer can dissarm it, and at their convenience! 3rg row seat needs more leg room. Need more room behind 3rd for storage