2004 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Miserable SUV
By dencal26 on 08/19/11 16:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission went at 51K. Bearings, Rotors warped, Calipers froze. Now the rear makes noise and at 91K I need a transfer case because it leaks and makes steering difficult. Never again will I buy a Ford.

LoveD this car
By seltz9 on 08/09/11 14:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

My parents bought this car brand new and gave it to me. They had no problems every, except that back hatch crack that is common, i get it and everything is wrong at 76,000. rain out of gas on I-80 recently because all of a sudden my gas gage doesnt work. my ABS light is always on and my cruise never works. my ac and heat do not work. back riper flew off, tranny is apparently going out, loud metal clinking, stereo bass and treble dont work, speaker goes in and out, leather had been cracked since day 1. i love this car cause i know what it was like brand new and have kept us safe but i offically hate it too

'04 Mountaineer
By Mountaineer on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this for my wife with 24k miles now it is up to 58k miles. Sure there have been a few things wrong but hey we got a warranty. I love the pwr and the ride this thing has when I drive it. It gives you a commanding feel of the road. It has road noise between 40 and 50. Also the rear window hatch cracked, you see it on a lot of Explorers and Mountaineers.

Got Pounded!
By Jose' on 11/14/09 02:08 AM (PST)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV and within three months the battery died, this made passive alarm go off. After 3 DAYS and $300 the dealership finally made time to rekey it and get it started! 23 months later the tranny goes out with a minimum price of $2,400! Wish I would have saw these reviews sooner.In this economy who can afford to take this kinda loss? Yet after reading all these reviews, I can't afford to keep this thing without a government bailout. I'm going to take a loss and by me a Honda.

Not happy with transmission
By dinger22170 on 03/08/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

bought a 2004 mercury mountaneer in 1- 06 with 26000 miles had a front wheel bearing go out at 35000 miles now at 71000 miles transmission broke i have never towed anything with it the transmission has no dipstick i am very un happy with this vehicals powertrain transmission is very week and this vehical is suppose to have the towing package and is the premiere package with the v-8 and AWD i am not very impressed with mercury will never buy another one

WHAT HAPPENED
By K on 02/02/09 09:35 AM (PST)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Mountaineer 10 months ago and I love it. It drives smooth and quite, but recently my car hesitates at stop signs and when shifting gears, so we know what that meant. I was hoping it would fix itself, but no. It started to make a loud vibrated jerking thud when shifting gears. I have 56k miles on it. In a matter of three days it became an inconveince to I won't drive and took it to the dealer I bought it from. The o/d light came on and was blinking. Not sure yet what the problem is but it is transmission related, whether electrical or hydrolic. I love the ride but I don't think I risk buying another Mercury:(

Great ride
By C.Brooks on 01/20/09 14:29 PM (PST)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Was a little skeptical of anything Mercury, but this car really caught my eye. It has the V-6 which is fine for my family needs, but still has a lot of power. This is a beautiful SUV for sure, was a little put off by the low resale value, but look at it this way, I didn't want a car payment, and to buy a Tahoe with twice the mileage it would have cost the same. Everything works great so far, and I can say this, having owned two S-10 Blazers, a Dodge Grand Caravan, and a Ford Windstar, the Ford products have been better rides, the electrical has certainly held up better, and the cars have seemed all-around sturdier.

Mercury Money Pit
By SD on 11/06/08 12:44 PM (PST)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love the look of this car but it has been nothing but a nightmare. I had to replace the solenoid in the transmission at 38,000 miles. Apparently if your tires are the same size but have diff amount of tire life left to them it can total out your entire car. I got two new tires put on and because the circumfrance was different between the to sets it caused my rear differential and transfer case to go out. The estimated repairs from the Ford dealership is at 10k! My car is only worth 9k with 63,000 miles on it and its fully loaded. This has been a total nightmare. do not purchase a Mountaineer.

Fully loaded included
By bpmiller87 on 06/09/08 08:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used and absolutely love it. In my opinion everyone thing is right where is should be. The stereo controls are easy to find, importants gauges or readings are located near each other, so you don't have to search for what you need to read. I have the optional v8 which is great for towing and will throw you back in your seat real quick! Leather comes standard, 3rd row comes standard, heated mirrors, tons of storage, it has it all and then more, great SUV.

Gotta Admit...
By Krys on 05/30/08 11:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Even with the price of gas this SUV is fun to drive. I love the power and speed this truck brings and the "Two- Tone" paint is a nice custom-look touch. Everyone one around here seems to have one. Very popular truck.