2003 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L V6 FFV 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

Convenience 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 FFV 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
A Great Mid-sized SUV
By S.Perez on 03/25/07 01:53 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Mountaineer for about a month and am really enjoying it. The dual a/c, rear a/c, audio system, turning radius, and comfort seating is just great. Gas mileage and the 3rd row seating not laying flat are the only complaints I have. It is my first SUV and I couldn't be happier.

2003 Mountaineer
By John Riley on 12/07/06 13:23 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Putting an average of 21K miles per year requires a reliable vehicle. So far, we have only replaced tires with 70K miles and no major or minor issues. Gas mileage is poor. Even though this vehicle has a 6 cyl, acceleration is good. Like the looks and overall performance. Short turning radius is one of the more impressive features.

Great SUV
By Wayne Greene on 08/29/05 16:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a superb SUV. Very comfortable and easy to drive. It handles as well as a sedan which is supprising. The ride is like your typical modern day SUV. I had to settle for the Luxury model because of the lack of head room in the Premier with the Sunroof. I am 6'1". We have the V6 with a class III/IV tow package that pulls our 3500 lb boat better than our V8 truck. This Mountaineer is my wife's primary use vehicle but is also the vehicle we get in when traveling together.

My mountianeer baby
By rteest03 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have never enjoyed a car more in my life. I tried maybe test driving 15 different SUVs that were similar in size and price. There was no comparison to the Mountaineer. I have had nothing but superior quality from the performance to the way it looks. Not only would i recommend this car, but I would advise you to be preparde that once you buy it, you will have mountaineers for the rest of your life!!!

Major Defect
By DMont on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Beware of KNOWN rear axle defect in the '03. A mth after purchase, I heard humming from the rear. took it back to John Eagle. informed by serv mgr that there existed a known defect w/ rear axle. Ford had to replace the entire rear end of my SUV. In April 04, my wife was driving the car in the HOV lane when the rear axel locked up. The vehicle began to skid and black smoke was coming out of the vehicle. Thru the grace of God my wife maneuvered the vehicle without having a rear-end collision. In the vehicle w/ my wife was my two boys (3 and 1 mth) and mother-in-law. BEWARE! Ford's not telling purchasers of this KNOWN defect.

What a Great Buy!!
By Okie7597 on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I looked at many of the midsize SUVs, and the MM won hands-down. Styling, build quality and performance were all as good or better as anything else in its class. The fact that I got mine for $24k brand new didn't hurt either. Fuel economy is not nearly as bad as I had expected; I'm getting 19mpg in combined city/highway driving.

great suv
By vincent l. on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

a very good suv for its price a little on the low side for gas mileage but besides that i love my mountaineer

It will make you feel good
By Mlavender on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Poor Gas Milage. Great everything else. No matter what, get running boards. It looks horrible without running boards.

Cool SUV
By kate lab on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In leather trim this SUV seems better polished than competing vehicles. The 6 cylinder seems more than adequate if you are not towing (I can not comment positive or negative on towing). All in all I am very satisfied with quality, handling, performance, etc so far. Personally, I think it is a better buy with the rebates than the Escape. With out the rebates it would be a tougher choice.