Used 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

A Great Mid-sized SUV
By S.Perez

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Mountaineer for about a month and am really enjoying it. The dual a/c, rear a/c, audio system, turning radius, and comfort seating is just great. Gas mileage and the 3rd row seating not laying flat are the only complaints I have. It is my first SUV and I couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

dual a/c, rear a/c, audio system, turning radius, and comfort seating

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and 3rd row seat should be able to lay flat.

2003 Mountaineer
By John Riley

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Putting an average of 21K miles per year requires a reliable vehicle. So far, we have only replaced tires with 70K miles and no major or minor issues. Gas mileage is poor. Even though this vehicle has a 6 cyl, acceleration is good. Like the looks and overall performance. Short turning radius is one of the more impressive features.

Favorite Features

Third row back seat is convenient for kid's friends and traveling. Short turning radius. Excellent sound with 6 disc changer. Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would make it more desirable and improve resale value.

Great SUV
By Wayne Greene

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a superb SUV. Very comfortable and easy to drive. It handles as well as a sedan which is supprising. The ride is like your typical modern day SUV. I had to settle for the Luxury model because of the lack of head room in the Premier with the Sunroof. I am 6'1". We have the V6 with a class III/IV tow package that pulls our 3500 lb boat better than our V8 truck. This Mountaineer is my wife's primary use vehicle but is also the vehicle we get in when traveling together.

Favorite Features

The handling ability,Premium sound sytem, luxury features, versatility of seating 1-7 passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Just a tad more headroom for front seats. Gas mileage. Front seat storage

My mountianeer baby
By rteest03

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have never enjoyed a car more in my life. I tried maybe test driving 15 different SUVs that were similar in size and price. There was no comparison to the Mountaineer. I have had nothing but superior quality from the performance to the way it looks. Not only would i recommend this car, but I would advise you to be preparde that once you buy it, you will have mountaineers for the rest of your life!!!

Favorite Features

I love the way it looks, especially the front end.

Suggested Improvements

Not the best gas mileage of all SUVs but good for a car that size.

Major Defect
By DMont

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Beware of KNOWN rear axle defect in the '03. A mth after purchase, I heard humming from the rear. took it back to John Eagle. informed by serv mgr that there existed a known defect w/ rear axle. Ford had to replace the entire rear end of my SUV. In April 04, my wife was driving the car in the HOV lane when the rear axel locked up. The vehicle began to skid and black smoke was coming out of the vehicle. Thru the grace of God my wife maneuvered the vehicle without having a rear-end collision. In the vehicle w/ my wife was my two boys (3 and 1 mth) and mother-in-law. BEWARE! Ford's not telling purchasers of this KNOWN defect.

Favorite Features

3rd row and price

Suggested Improvements

SAFETY! SAFETY!