2003 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Never Had A More Reliable Vehicle...
By alessing on 10/04/11 05:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned and driven anything from a Hummer H2 to a Ford Escape, to an Acura MDX and I praise Ford's engineers for the work put into this SUV. I own a 2003 Mountaineer Premier AWD V8 with stock GoodYear Fortera HL tires and this truck performs incredibly. I have a heavy foot and the 4.6L V8 suits my every need. I own a 21 foot boat and the towing abilities are great! Also, being in NC means I enjoy the Outer Banks where I regularly take to the sandy beaches and have NEVER gotten stuck. Even without the Explorer's AdvanceTrac traction control, the Mountaineer's full-time All Wheel Drive performs admirably in virtually any situation. I simply love this truck... 200000+ miles and no issues!!

Love my Mountaineer for the most part!
By Amurr1991 on 08/03/10 18:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had My Mountaineer for quite a while and Love it! I have only had to replace ball joints and Put new tires on it (standard maintenance). This vehicle is such a workhorse and handles great in all weather situations! The fuel economy is awful though, (only about 13-15 combined). Overall I have been pleased with this truck. The only complaint I have is that the interior quality could be better. The truck has 110,000 miles and does tend to have some minor rattles, but not too bad, other cars I have had don't generally start to rattle until much later, but hey It's a Ford not a Mercedes!

The Good and not so good
By Pat on 03/03/10 05:42 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Comfort, looks and performance are Great. The Problems are few but Should be weeded out by the Mercury engineers: 1) I purchased this SUV new and have the towing package but have never used it yet the 2 rear springs are broken. Never overloaded it either. Can't figure out why/how this happened. 2) Rear tailgate has a plastic body part with Mercury emblem on it. It cracked even though there was no accident. Heard of other owners having same problem. Why did/does this happen? 3) Power windows freeze up in winter will not work until they are thawed out. Overall I like this SUV. It's a pleasure to drive. Hopeful that some Mercury People will see my remarks here and find solutions

Tough Truck for a V6
By Jake on 01/11/10 08:16 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Mountaineer used with 40,000 miles on it. Other than a crack on the liftgate it was in great shape. I've always driven my vehicles hard and I can say for just being a 4.0L it is a workhorse. I've hauled thousands of pounds of supplies behind it in a trailer, driven off-road,done a few donuts, you name it. I bought it out of pure necessity having a third child on the way. This is my grocery/camping/work/family vehicle. I love the sound system and leather seats and 17 inch wheels. It handles great and has good power for passing. It has 109,000 miles now and all I've had to replace was an alternator. I also nailed a deer at about 50 mph and virtually no damage. I have no regrets.

Solid
By Chris on 12/21/09 14:56 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Was looking for a 7 seater explorer of that age, stumbled upon the prettier sister vehicle at a dealership. Ours has been a solid, comfortable, trouble free vehicle. Looks nice, too. 22-23 mpg highway; decent for a heavy vehicle. Unfortunately I have had to have the rear bumper repainted twice; once was my fault (garage incident) and another parking lot incident. Goes like a tank in the snow (AWD). The downside to having such a nice SUV is that you can't really do the "utility" thing like you mean it. But at least it has more cajones than a minivan.

Great truck
By kim on 01/19/09 21:40 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm just writing to tell everyone, how much I love my Mountaineer. I bought it used with 49,000 miles on it. I only have 2 things that bother me. The crack on the back liftgate with I found is a common problem with them. Had issues with it stalling in reverse. Took to dealer and they couldn't find a problem, and couldn't help because the check engine light didn't come on. So I visited many other sites and found that others had the same issue. One guy suggested putting dry gas in it when you fill it. Well, we put the dry gas in it at everyfill up and it hasn't done it since.

Mountaineer, bad transmission, good looker
By Linda Davis on 12/29/08 18:07 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I thought this would be the perfect vehicle. But two transmissions in 2 years at $1500 dollars and wheel bearings in less than a year was a little too much. The air conditioner shows no results on leakage testing, but it was filled 2 times a year, it would be freezing then high points on vents would be cold and lower vent warm. Ford could not find what the problem was, but suggested another Mountianeer because this was a used purchase. Another problem was the transmission stick is located on the bottom and will require a special instrument to check fluid level. bad idea.

Great SUV except
By suzie on 08/31/08 17:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I loved this SUV, of course gas mileage stinks, but for an AWD it rides like a luxury car. Heated seats, 3rd row seating, great. Cons...wheel bearings. They all go too early, AC wires rusted out. I also knew 3 people who had the same problems, bearings and AC rusting out. Mercury knew this but never recalled the vehicles. Tires, I went through two pairs in three years. Other than that, a fine vehicle.

2003 Convenience V-8
By rabgolfnut on 07/25/08 20:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought Dec 31, 2003, got a great deal on it! It was the last 2003 on the lot, 4WD just in time for winter!! Love the commanding view of the road, versatility of passengers & cargo, use it to haul my DJ equipment, it all fits!!! Handles much better than a "truck", rides firm but comfortable, handles well foe such a high center of gravity. Note: I finally replaced the OEM Goodyear Eagle LS with some Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L tires, the vehicle has been transformed. It now rides & handles almost on par with my 2003 Sable. Steering feel & response is now superb!!! Did have some recalls, on the rear glass hardware & the rear axle, starter, battery, rear shocks replaced.

Nice Ride
By Danpemby on 09/29/07 07:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Convenience AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car against my better judgment. The wife really wanted it so we got it. I was surprised by the performance and comfort of this vehicle. We drive it on winy back roads and it handles like a true champ. I recommend it to all. Gets 21MPG (non E-85)on average which is great for such a large vehicle.