2002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L V6 FFV 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Great SUV to own

2002 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 FFV 5-speed Automatic)

Great SUV to own
By ajktopdawg on

2002 Mercury Mountaineer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my 02 Mountaineer for 2 years. Traded into it from a 96 BMW 328i convertable. Granted, its not a BMW with as speed or open air, but makes up for many other options. The only issue I had was an alarm sensor went bad a 50k miles and that cost me $120 at the dealer to fix. 20 mpg on the hwy at 75 mpg is as good as you get with 5 speed automatic. Front seat is hard and can hurt sitting too long. Plenty of HP and get up and go, quicker than my wife's 3.8 Mustang and thats an 03!

Favorite Features

Sound system is awesome. Plenty of pick up in the 4.0 ltr. My wife and I traveled from Fl to Tx and had the seats folded back, able to fit a queen size air matress and save the hotel fees to drive almost straight through in 25 hours.

Suggested Improvements

Driver seat will never be cushy enough. Wish it got better gas mileage, like up to 25 mph with prices so high but at least it runs good on 89 oct. Middle foot space needs a few more inches when entering the back doors.