A Real Let-Down
By mfultz on
2002 Mercury Mountaineer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I bought this 2002 Mountaineer in 2004 with about 37,000 miles. Initially, I was impressed with the car, especially the 3-row seat. About a year later on a trip from LA to San Francisco, I noticed an "clunking" in the transmission. We really do not drive the car except on long family outings because we have two other smaller, more economical cars. Now at 89,000 both the transmission and the rear axle have gone out. Trans cost $2600; rear end $600. Now I see people indicating there are suspension problems. I am terrified. This is not American! Ford has numerous complaints about trans. Problems. The American thing to do, Ford, would be to back your product! Shame, shame, shame!
Favorite Features
3-row seat. This is my main reason for purchasing this vehicle. I had shaky trust in FORD; I needy the utility, but NOW I have NO trust in FORD.
Suggested Improvements
Build and sell a quality product. You should know how to build a reliable transmission. Also, get back to old American market-place values. If you blow it, assist your customers with setting things right. Ford is dishonest; they know they built a poor quality automobile. Don't rip us off!!!