2002 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Review: 2002 Mountainer, surprised by

2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Review

2002 Mountainer, surprised by quality
By gabrielu on

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Wife loved it at first sight but later wanted a smaller car, so I have driven it for the last five years. We occasionally think about selling it but do not. I have never had a problem with the car other than very minor issues (door open sensor, heated seat) both inexpensive to fix. Otherwise I have just changed oil regularly and done the 60k checkpoint (not much there either). Is my first Ford and I am completely turned around on old perception. We have a Mercedes and a Toyota in the family, The former is a money pit, the latter is good but feels so much cheaper. We are almost at 100k and cannot find a good reason to sell it. I guess I got the lucky one

Looks aging very well, new model very similar, which makes it easier to keep the truck. V8 engine is a mule, pulled a small trailer for many many miles every year w/out a glitch. Towing package includes transmission cooler, perhaps that is what is missing in models with problems?

Love AWD but would like to have a low range option. A bit plastiky inside. I am 6'3", would love a roof 2-3 inches taller. Would like electric folding mirrors (I know, I am spoiled). Legroom is good in front not stellar in back. Oh, better fuel mileage, but w/same power :-)