2002 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Review: 2002, 4.6L V8 AWD model

2002 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 FFV AWD 5-speed Automatic)

2002, 4.6L V8 AWD model
By av8r1x on

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

217,000 + miles and still going strong! original engine, original transmission. However, I get regular oil changes, change the air filter regularly, clean the engine once in a while, etc...my only complaints are 1) the engineers who designed this vehicle did not put a governor on the accelerator, and sometimes when you take your foot off and coast, the gears shift down with a "thunk," instead of gradually, but this doesn't do any harm to the tranny, and 2) i had problems early-on with the vent system in the rear (3rd row seats). it makes a clicking noise sometimes, like the fan motor isn't working.

I especially like the quality leather interior, and the large center console/cup holder thing. I also like that the rear seats move independently, so you can put two seats down and still have a child ride in the back, etc. The underneath spare is a bit of a hassle, but the interior is square, no wheel bumps, so big flat objects the size of a twin bed can slide right in. Sound system is pretty decent for stock, and there are extra "buttons" that I've used for a GPS installation. Foot pedals are adjustable, which is ideal for a pregnant mom. Tow bar is built in, and you can pretty much tow your weight with the V8 model. I am the original owner and will keep this car until it dies!

1) install a shift governor for the transmission (get rid of that "thunk" when it downshifts); 2) make the airbag have an on/off switch so young riders can sit in the front if we are hauling large cargo; 3) improve the roof rack (its wimpy and small); 4) that plastic grill has to go! the silverish paint is fading and it looks bad now 5) the silverish paint on the stereo system is also fading or wearing off...better quality paint next time!