2002 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Review: 02' Mountaineer nicely re-desi

2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Review

02' Mountaineer nicely re-designed
By MarkR on

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've only driven my Mountaineer about 4,000 miles so far. Design wise it's a heck of a lot better vehicle than my old 94' Explorer. The more I look at the outside, the more pretentious it strikes me. Still... I've received alot of compliments on it's looks. It handles great and has alot of those handy little storage spaces. I was a little nervous about going from 4WD to AWD but the thing was great in the snows of Vermont. It does occasionally knock slightly on regular gas but it seems like a good strong engine for a 6 cylinder. Overall I'm very happy with it.

There are a number of storage spaces that keep the vehicle neater inside. It's handling is real tight for an SUV. The lift gate door is a great design.

1)Upgrade the standard hitch to Class III. 2)Replace those flimsey clothes hooks with something more substantial. 3)The vehicle is so high running boards should be standard. 4)Even more inside storage spaces. 5)Easier to handle wiper controls (maybe on the steering wheel?)